Splawn quickrod model, how dare I doubt it

I just had a look at the preset in Axedit. Given the way I believe Cliff does his TMs (and how he recommends doing them) I believe you can use the stock preset without the cab and have a useable non-FRFR preset. Part of capturing the cab you are using with the amp is it allows the TM to be all about the amp. Someone correct me if I am off here, but I believe all you should need to do is bypass the power amp on the amp block (supply sag off) and you should be good to go for use with a speaker cab. I will give it a whirl and report back.

I believe on Cliffs presets, he has the cab built into the TMA block. He leaves the cab block in the preset, but it is bypassed. You can switch back and forth for different flavors, but I think in order to use a real cab you would need to bypass both TMA and cab which would defeat the purpose.

I love the SLO sim and it's very much spot on. I've owned and played various Soldanos over the years and they are "not for everyone". the tone controls are very specific and if not dialed in correctly, it could give the impression of "ugh...that sounds awful" :)

Examples of "good" settings?

Soldano: "We make the best guitar amplifiers in the world."

Examples of "good" settings?

Soldano: "We make the best guitar amplifiers in the world."
well, first it depends on if you actually like that basic Soldano sound. important with SLOs is to keep Treble fairly low and crank Presence instead. if you're going for the EVH sound, dial back the mids as well. Master not too high and Gain depending on your taste.

Reactions: yek
Did we ever find out which "gear" was modeled for V7?

I was expecting it to sound different as well, having heard several audio clips of the real amp that blew me away.

If this particular gear is already "dead-on" as the OP says, maybe a model of all the gears would help us guys who are still searching for the sounds the we know the amp can produce?

I'm sure someone will suggest to just tone much it to the audio clips that I've liked. So yeah, there are other ways I guess. But It seems matching all gears is at least possible for Cliff seeing as we have all channels of the 5153 and the Herbert.

Are the other gears so similar that it's just not worth the time/effort/memory?

I dont know what you guys are talking about. I've switched to the splawn as my main patch and I think it has more body and depth than others that ive tried. But I am using a splawn 4x12 =).

Interesting! In some cases, the more you hate a particular AxeFx model, the more a compliment it is to the AxeFx - lol!

Personal Taste carries a lot of weight IMO - I.E. - H+K probably makes great amps but it does not keep me from believing that H+K ruined Alex Lifeson's tone (for my taste anyway).

Ya I didn't care for it either. Sounded dull. But again, it sounds like that is what the real amp sounds like too. Plenty of other amps I do like. The 5153 red is KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know what you guys are talking about. I've switched to the splawn as my main patch and I think it has more body and depth than others that ive tried. But I am using a splawn 4x12 =).

Could you make an IR?

O/T: It's good to see some amp manufacturers (CarolAnn, Friedman, Fryette, Suhr etc) collaborating with Fractal.
Works both ways. If I were to buy an analog amp again, my experience with the Axe models is an important decision-making factor. Friedman BE (with options) would be high on the list, although I'd prefer a smaller form size.
I'm with you, Yek. This is my overall favorite in the bunch, and if I had to make the switch back to analog, this would be my amp of choice.

I believe on Cliffs presets, he has the cab built into the TMA block. He leaves the cab block in the preset, but it is bypassed. You can switch back and forth for different flavors, but I think in order to use a real cab you would need to bypass both TMA and cab which would defeat the purpose.

Maybe Cliff can chime in here and clarify, but it makes sense to me that if he captured the IR of the cab that he used in the TM, and used that IR for the TM, that bypassing the cab block with said IR in the preset would leave a profile of the amp only in the TMA. When I did my Splawn Quickrod amp match this is what I did (as that is what the tutorial outlines doing) and I think it was pretty close. I really need to do another with the actual Splawn amp block for V7 and do an AB test.

Maybe Cliff can chime in here and clarify, but it makes sense to me that if he captured the IR of the cab that he used in the TM, and used that IR for the TM, that bypassing the cab block with said IR in the preset would leave a profile of the amp only in the TMA. When I did my Splawn Quickrod amp match this is what I did (as that is what the tutorial outlines doing) and I think it was pretty close. I really need to do another with the actual Splawn amp block for V7 and do an AB test.

I agree. The only reason I said what I did is because his presets sound like an amp and cab with only the TMA active. It doesn't require the cab block to sound right. Btw, I really like a lot of your presets and appreciate your work very much 8)

I agree. The only reason I said what I did is because his presets sound like an amp and cab with only the TMA active. It doesn't require the cab block to sound right. Btw, I really like a lot of your presets and appreciate your work very much 8)

Thanks so much for the kind words!

Maybe I will try doing a comparison between capturing a TMA while using an IR of the cab used in the matching process and doing a line out capture. They should be within reason, the same.

i have a 2011 quickrod and i dont think it sounds anything like the splawn on the axe.i prefer od2 gear2 and the axe sounds like od3 gear2 with the gain full on.way to much mud.i really want to post some audio of some heads i have for you guys to tm because i cant seem to find the time and the quickrod being one of them.but just so everyone knows i havent really had time to sit down much with 7.0 but from what i tried,to me,no it doesnt sound like it.

i have a 2011 quickrod and i dont think it sounds anything like the splawn on the axe.i prefer od2 gear2 and the axe sounds like od3 gear2 with the gain full on.way to much mud.i really want to post some audio of some heads i have for you guys to tm because i cant seem to find the time and the quickrod being one of them.but just so everyone knows i havent really had time to sit down much with 7.0 but from what i tried,to me,no it doesnt sound like it.
I don't own the quickrod , But I agree with you,after the hundreds of video's and sound clips I listen to,When I fired up the axe spawn, lots of gain and mud.I've work with it awhile and got a better tone ,but not my favorite amp.I thought it would have really tight bass.The master really makes a change in tone.

Hi Guys, I rarely post here but read daily. I feel the same way the OP does about the AFD. I came really close to pulling the trigger on one of these several times. When I found out it was going to be modelled in the Axe I was stoked. When I played it- meh.....way too trebly gainy for me. I CANNOT get a good Slash sound even out of my V30 cab. Too much amp for me honestly. After owning the Axe II for over a year (and the Ultra before that) I really think I would not like the "real" AFD either.

On the other hand I didn't give the Dirty Shirley much thought when I read it was to be included in the update. But man does it rock. I love ALL the Friedman stuff here. And the FAS brown. These are my main go to Amps. So - big disappointment in the AFD but Big Happy surprise with the Dirty Shirley!

Hi there. Give my a clip of a G,D and E
Something like this ..

All i need to "tone clone" your amp. And i will share the patch. I would be cool if others also would do this :) Share your amps. Share the love

And a nice PIC of the amp setting. So i know how to set the tone controls on the axe fx. To make it a good match

Yeah as a Splawn owner they are very unforgiven they tell the world exactly how good you are!! I'm def no EVH but my Splawns have made me a better player!!

Yep, tpruitt I have to agree with you on this as an actual quickrod owner.
I also have a 09 quickrod and the quickrod on axefx absoultely sounds nothing like it.
The sim on the axe fx has a different voicing, has way too much base. You just have to hear one in person to appreciate the difference. completely different they are.
And like most people here, I also don't quite like the quickrod sim. It's just different. As simple as.

Back
Top Bottom