Splawn Q-Rod - Hi Gain Rhythm Tone (Killswitch Engage/Periphery/Red Seas Fire)

sounds awesome , what cab are you using and which QR is this (settings too?)
I haven't had much luck getting any of the Splawn models to really "work" for me yet.

sounds awesome , what cab are you using and which QR is this (settings too?)
I haven't had much luck getting any of the Splawn models to really "work" for me yet.

thanks man! it's the 3rd channel!
cab is 4X12 SLMV30 (OH) with a 421 DYN mic
try this: bright and saturation switch ON, leave the gain, bass, mid and treble parameters at noon, presence at about 6.00 and depth at 2.00, keep the master at 3.00 but turn up the level (I have it at -4db). then boost the front end with a tube drive, drive 0, tone at 6.00/7.00, mix full...this should work :encouragement:

I was checking the Splawns out just last night - Chris Letchford from Scale The Summit is using this sim in his live rig now (QRod 1 & 2). I thought they sounded pretty killer, hadn't really played it before. Your clip sounds cool!

Great tone. Crunchy as hell.

Sounds incredible and you didn't even have to serve it over a backing track.

those settings got me pretty much spot on to your clip with my BRJ 7 string (holydivers)
muchos Gracias :)

thanks man! it's the 3rd channel!
cab is 4X12 SLMV30 (OH) with a 421 DYN mic
try this: bright and saturation switch ON, leave the gain, bass, mid and treble parameters at noon, presence at about 6.00 and depth at 2.00, keep the master at 3.00 but turn up the level (I have it at -4db). then boost the front end with a tube drive, drive 0, tone at 6.00/7.00, mix full...this should work :encouragement:
I tried these and it sounds cool but not quite there. Please share the patch, never knew how amazing this amp was. Kinda sounds like a beefed up Recto.

Awesome job. I was messing with this the other day playing saigon kick the lizard but definitely trying with KSE now

Sounds great. I would say that with your tweaks, the clip sounds a lot closer to the Splawn Nitro than it does to my QR amp (through V30's). The Nitro has a more modern voicing, but still has that Splawn tone.

Here's a good comparison of the two...

Last edited:
Thanks for the starting point. I loved my Nitro that I use to own but, it was just to god damn loud to play anywhere. I was trying out the Axe-FX models with little success. They were all coming out muddy. I am guessing it was my choice of cabinet. I really appreciate the starting point that you posted up earlier. It really helped my get something out of those models that I truly enjoy =)

-Nate

Back
Top Bottom