Spkr Res Freq - Intelligent use of?

joegold said:
dk_ace said:
[quote="Jay Mitchell":10y7e6cp]
Here's a way to make this simple: set speaker resonant frequency somewhere between 100 and 120 Hz, and fuhgeddaboutit. That figure is within 10% of the resonant frequency every guitar cab I've measured, and anyway it will only have an audible effect if you're using an amp sim with little or no negative feedback (e.g., Class A or Mr Z).

:D

Now that is what I wanted to know!

Thank you Jay Mitchell!

D

What thread is that Jay Mitchell quote from?
It doesn't appear to be this thread.

Jay...
If the above is true, then why did you suggest such a low value (65hz) for my 1 X 12 open back EVM-12L cabs?
Maybe you're talking mostly about closed-back cabs in that quote?
Do close-back cabs tend to have a higher SRF than open-back cabs?
Or is the 12L's open air RF just lower than most other guitar speakers?
Or none of the above?[/quote:10y7e6cp]

Look up, it's on this page.

IIRC, he said in an older thread that the 12L is around 65 which is lower than most cabs.

Edit - this went to a new page, so of course I meant the previous one...

D

dk_ace said:
Look up, it's on this page.

IIRC, he said in an older thread that the 12L is around 65 which is lower than most cabs.

Edit - this went to a new page, so of course I meant the previous one...

D

lol
Thanks. I see it now.
BTW
The comment about the 12L is also in this thread.
Page 1 or 2.
But he never said anything about it being lower than most drivers.

joegold said:
Page 1 or 2. But he never said anything about it being lower than most drivers.
The EVM 12" speakers are basically heavy-duty woofer designs. Their resonant frequency is quite a bit lower than those of typical guitar-specific transducers. It is possible that the actual resonant frequency of your cab is higher than 65Hz. It doesn't much matter. There is no "resonance" being excited, and most of the amp sims aren't audibly affected by the choice of speaker resonant frequency.

If 65 Hz seems low to you, then you might want to try setting it higher. Odds are it won't sound any different, unless you're using one of the zero-negative-feedback amp sims.

Jay Mitchell said:
joegold said:
Page 1 or 2. But he never said anything about it being lower than most drivers.
The EVM 12" speakers are basically heavy-duty woofer designs. Their resonant frequency is quite a bit lower than those of typical guitar-specific transducers. It is possible that the actual resonant frequency of your cab is higher than 65Hz. It doesn't much matter. There is no "resonance" being excited, and most of the amp sims aren't audibly affected by the choice of speaker resonant frequency.

If 65 Hz seems low to you, then you might want to try setting it higher. Odds are it won't sound any different, unless you're using one of the zero-negative-feedback amp sims.

OK. Thanks.

At some point I'll want to dick around with this a bit more.
But right now I'm doing an all acoustic theatre show on guitar and banjitar.
Haven't plugged my Axe in for weeks.

Back
Top Bottom