Spillover ?

teddis

Fractal Fanatic
I hope someone can help here. I have never understood how this works.
I use the MFC with 5 Presets . Clean, Break up, Crunch, Mark Day metal ;), and LEAD.

My problem is, when I switch to my lead patch, I get great sounds, all good..... But as soon as I switch back to any other patch.... It is too abrupt .... Sudden if you will, band guys say, It's like you " drop out " for a second. I realize that there is patch change delay, that is normal.

My question is.
Is "Spillover" something that can " linger " , or help, whilst my rhythm patch engages ? How do you do this ?

Thank you

I think the answer to your question is... maybe.

As I understand it, spillover, when the same settings are used on the same delay or reverb block, will allow your trails to continue when you switch patches as though you had not switched, BUT new information (you playing more notes after the switch) will be sent to the delay/reverb blocks (with the same settings as the previous patch) using the new patch's tone.

So, I think the short answer is "yes," but whatever lag you have when switching... I'm not sure about that. I hardly have any lag at all.

Maybe for scenes.....spillover is useful , but for presets, not going to work for me. The same delay block needs to be in all patches AND ENGAGED. I don't have DELAY in my clean patch, so tails will not work, switching from a lead solo to clean.

Shame...... Unless I don't understand this.

QUOTE=Rotti;984082]I think the answer to your question is... maybe.

As I understand it, spillover, when the same settings are used on the same delay or reverb block, will allow your trails to continue when you switch patches as though you had not switched, BUT new information (you playing more notes after the switch) will be sent to the delay/reverb blocks (with the same settings as the previous patch) using the new patch's tone.

So, I think the short answer is "yes," but whatever lag you have when switching... I'm not sure about that. I hardly have any lag at all.[/QUOTE]

Here is something that I have set up on my preset. I uses scenes heavily. 99.9% of my live set is played with on preset. This preset uses 2 delay blocks and both the X and Y values for various different scenes. To compensate for spillover with how the AxeFX 2 operations I did the following. Towards the end of my effects chain I add in a multi-delay block. This block I set up with a slightly high volume and decent repeat to it. I then turned it off on every scene. Next I assigned it to an IA switch on my MFC-101 controller.

What I do is when I am moving between two drastically different sounds (clean to distortion, etc) I step on this multi-delay switch a second or two before I switch scenes. This engages the effect just long enough to get a repeat going and blend my scene switching. Since all scenes have this off as default whichever scene I switch to automatically kills the effect and it fades out.

One thing to note is that I have my board set up to revert all scenes to their original setting no matter what I step on/off. This way when I switch back to the scene that I came from the multi-delay remains off. This was my "fix" for how the Axe runs spillover.

Hopefully you have enough CPU power and free blocks to try this out if it works for you.
Joe

I have not tried this in a multiple preset context. I imagine if you have the same block in every preset it would work..??

Scenes are the answer to your dilemma.

SNN18TV01MEA-280_988984a.jpg

Interesting......but I like preset use on the MFC better. Maybe I post something to the "wish" section.

Interesting......but I like preset use on the MFC better. Maybe I post something to the "wish" section.

IIRC, the implementation of Scenes by FAS as a new feature was partially due to similar complaints about spillover between presets. Posting another "wish" for them to rectify this will likely lead you right back to where we are now: Scenes. IMHO, this does pretty much solve the problem if you don't like the way preset spillover is designed to work. I agree that FAS could have used a different design approach with respect to spillover that is seamless when changing presets, but they didn't, and here we are.

FWIW ;-)

I too believe scenes were designed to handle this issue.

You can sort of work around it. If your lead preset is not too crazy, just stay in it after the solo. Maybe roll off the guitar vol and/or play softer.

Then pick a more convenient place in the song to switch away from your lead preset. Some place in the song where the drop off is not as noticeable.

That is certainly not ideal but might help you get on with the show :)

cheers :)

Maybe for scenes.....spillover is useful , but for presets, not going to work for me. The same delay block needs to be in all patches AND ENGAGED. I don't have DELAY in my clean patch, so tails will not work, switching from a lead solo to clean.

In the new preset the block can be bypassed w/ Mute FX In mode, or placed on a separate row with no input if you don't need to engage & use it later on that preset.

Yes, with Mute FX In bypass mode. Avoid changes after the delay block if possible, i.e. place after cab & other FX if those change.

Thanks Bakerman,
Did you apply for the "Beta testers" by chance ? Your expertise would be most helpful at FAS I bet ;)

QUOTE=Bakerman;984347]Yes, with Mute FX In bypass mode. Avoid changes after the delay block if possible, i.e. place after cab & other FX if those change.[/QUOTE]

my bad. I thought the OP already understood the protocol for implementing preset spillover. Bakerman is the man for sure!

Back
Top Bottom