speaker shoot out

preacher

over the past year we've tried many speaker rig combos. everything from tube power amps to many types of powered speakers also even the matrix and just to make a point we have not tested any products were endorsed by. so lets continue and at randum we will discuss these combos.
the tube power amps sound great and the feel = hey- tubes -what can you say. but their are some to stay away from as they are over priced and poopy. next would be the matrix in which i thought was really cool and for a lite way to gig -it was great and sounded great.they know their stuff. next are the powered speakers and thats a little harder to grasp because of the vastness of product - k-8,10,12 other spkrs as well -just wanted to name some of the top ones first- something to consider in using pa spkrs and we found this to be helpful - to go from your axe2 into a mier than your spkrs by which i mean is to have some small mixer up on stage to adjust your tone before going into the foh-sub mix of sorts -like keyboards do. next is the atomics and that being said i do like tom and he has a great product and for flat response spkr or pa type of spkr it is the best choice, wedge or reg or combo of both but truly its the best for that type of set up- thats probably the reason you can't get them that easily. now this research has been supported by artists in the field that play for living and i do want to thank those who lent and sent their stuff to check and know this data as it was tested. some might say come on!! well to you goodluck and to those that can have and play anything they want and are -you probably have their cd's in your collection-they had one agreed response -thankyou! now this being said i will tell you the axe2 is the best piece of equipment out there and it is at that point of being right there with real amps, and put to work those sims and know this it truly gives you the ability to craft any sound in your head or from a amp you have to reality now-enjoy!!
thanks for reading

Last edited:
I've been considering the matrix power amp. Do you think its the best ss choice? I have a Carvin DCM200L right now and it sounds great but if I start gigging out again I will need more power than it provides.

Thanks for the info, but to be honest, as I read your post I was expecting a more detailed summary of your results at the end. Can you provide a list of the amps and cabs you tested, and your comparison ratings? thx

I've been considering the matrix power amp. Do you think its the best ss choice? I have a Carvin DCM200L right now and it sounds great but if I start gigging out again I will need more power than it provides.

Yea, I think its the best SS choice for sure.. The DCM series sound great but the problem is to get enough wattage, it requires the 2U ones.. If only Carvin made at least 500W 1U one, that'd be awesome.. but for 1U, I think the Matrix wins out despite its high price

I also used a Carvin DCM-200L for a short time and was disappointed by the power output. I'm still of the opinion however that for many (such as myself) the Carvin DCM-1540L is without a doubt a better choice then the Matrix, despite the fact that it's 2U. It has twice the available power at almost half the cost (in the USA). Also if you compare the specs the Matrix is not a better amp. The Carvin specs are equal to or better in most if not all areas. I gladly gave up an extra 1U for an amp that in the end is quite a bargain when compared to everything else out there, as well as being a well built, dependable, powerful, quiet, and lightweight unit. Just my opinion.

I would like to see someone throw together a spreadsheet or similar that we can have so Axe-FX users can compare all types of different scenarios for powering their unit.

We should have "positives" and "negatives" and details such a price, amp and cab emulations on/off while using, tubes/solid state, etc. I have been playing guitar a long time and know tone but when it comes to what power amp, etc. to use with the Axe-FX II, I'm lost. There is so much out there it gets overwhelming.

I love the tones I'm getting with my Mosvalve MV-962 into two Marshall 4x12 cabs but wonder what I'm missing out on. I've heard some great clips of all types of hookups whether traditional cabs, FRFR, P.A. The best source for this info is someone like Mark Day or similar who has used the Axe-FX thru various amps.

hey guys
the research we conducted with the speaker system aspect was very non-bias to brand but tone. as one person ask what where some of the equipment used. power amps that were used ? here is a short list -brunetti,vht,mesa,marshal,randell(sounded great by the way) old peavey classic,egnater, carvin,matrix(which was the only ss we used ,but tried others and--yuk) and a few more. this was not a negative or positive comparision as people have their preference but more towards the sound dynamics and really simplicity of achievement and desire. and for speaker choice is was the same thought .
the artist involved were professional from touring to studio and club ,worship etc . thosed who participated in this (which started as -wouldn't be cool to compare this and that! type of thing) and so we did it. and most of involve are endosed by other companies then fractal and few were,and think of this?they all used the fractal now exclusivly in recording and studio -actually fractal is and especially the axe2 is becoming and is a premium standard for guitarist and beyond, and for tone searchers the quest is over just relax ,play and enjoy. so that being said -tube amps are what they are and when you get to a certain level its a matter of taste. and the matrix is is one of the best swiss army knife of tone for ss to date( and we did use a few other ss and --yuk) in this combination and there wera couple of speakers that made a difference and that leaned towards preference . and for powered speakers the atomics rang true over and over again in blind comparision especially with sims. so i hope this helps and you might not agree with this information or are sceptic or suspicious, well keep searching and rock on -to those who are enjoying playing and being finally settled with your rig -bless yah!
thanks again note: i did not recieve any $ gain or equipment for this research but a heck of alot fo fun and satifaction ,really all involved did.

for me i will have both a power amp rig w/ spkrs and when the new batch of atomics come in i will probably exclusivly use that application because of simplicity and tone. . as i've described before i usally go straight to mixer but having the chance to use the frfr powered spkrs i'll have to have them as well thats my personal choice .the ? -sims ,cabs etc -on or off --------really! ---on!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom