Speaker Resonance Frequency

sprint

Axe-Master
Just wondering - why is the speaker resonance frequency control in the amp block. Does it not make more sense to have it in the CAB block?

sprint said:
Just wondering - why is the speaker resonance frequency control in the amp block. Does it not make more sense to have it in the CAB block?
No. The interaction caused by the impedance vs. frequency behavior of a loudspeaker occurs among the different elements of the amplifier. It has to be in the amp block in order to be accurately modeled.

Yes, but it should change with the cab. Actually I would like to have one additional byte in the cab syx files to contain the frequency of the Cab (which you then of course should be able to change).

It should change with each cab, BUT if you are not using a cab sim, you still need this parameter so that the power amp emulation can do its thing, which is why it is in there. I would imagine that if you are using a cab sim, it's parameters would/should override this parameter in the amp block.

hhjh.de said:
Yes, but it should change with the cab.
Which is a completely abstract concept, given that the folks who have acquired IRs - including myself - have not run the additional test required to identify the resonant frequency of the cab. It is not enough to know what the transducers do in free air (IOW, the manufacturer's specification). The cabinet volume serves to increase the resonant frequency, so that parameter would need to either be measured electronically or accurately calculated (meaning you'd have to have accurate internal dimensions for the cab).

Jay Mitchell said:
Which is a completely abstract concept

I understand that it would be just too much work for a little thing, and frankly, it's not a big issue for me. But hey, we're approaching christmas! Can't I get a wish fulfilled from Santa Cliff?

Back
Top Bottom