Speaker recommendation and class recommendation for soon to be FM9 owner

Markcarl

I purchased an Axe-Fx III Turbo and an FC-12 foot controller a few months ago and am having a lot of fun with the system. I'm using the Axe-Fx with a pair of Adam Audio A7V monitor speakers. It sounds amazing! I purchased Cooper Carter's "The Complete Axe-Fx III Master Class" and am ~ 25% through it so far. The course is helping me understand how to navigate / use the Axe-FX. I notice Cooper Carter also has classes specific to the FM3 and FM9.

Last night I downloaded a preset from Axe-Change and some of the scenes within the preset didn't have any output. I looked at all the blocks in those scenes and noticed the Cab blocks for were referencing unavailable cabinets. I switched those Cab blocks to use Dyna-Cabs and the scenes started working again and they sounded great! This was one of the first times I problem solved with the Axe-Fx. It took a while but I figured it out.

I just ordered an FM9 unit. I bought the FM9 to:
  • have another unit upstairs (the Axe-Fx III is in my music room in the basement)
  • have a more portable unit to play out with. I’m not in a band currently but I sometimes play with my son and friends at their houses.
I’m still new to the Axe-Fx platform. I can tell its helped reinvigorate my interest in the electric guitar. I’ve mostly played acoustic for the last 10 years. I think I got bored with the sounds I was getting on the electric guitar. I have a really nice 76 Fender Deluxe Reverb but that’s all I have for a real amp. I like the flexibility and versatility of tones I can get with the Axe-Fx. The funny thing is since getting the Axe-Fx I’m even playing with the old Deluxe Reverb more too. :)

I have the following questions I wanted to ask on this forum:
  1. Is there a portable powered speaker that you recommend to use with the FM9? I love the pairing of the Adam A7V speakers with the Axe-Fx III but I want something portable and easy to take out of the house to use with the FM9. I saw some reviews for a HeadRush FRFR 108 speaker that looked interesting. I was thinking of buying two to get a stereo image. I’m curious what other people are using and how it’s working for them.
  2. Has anybody taken both the Axe-Fx III and FM9 class by Cooper Carter? Is there enough of a difference between the Axe-Fx III and FM9 to make it worthwhile to take both classes or do you think that’s overkill?

Do a forum search for subjects with "FRFR".

Spend several days reading :)

There's a wide spectrum of choices. Budget is important.

The Headrush are an inexpensive option but aren't all that flat as per my understanding (I have no practical experience with them).

When it comes to FRFR, the flatter response you can get will give the most accurate representation of sound.

A lot of people (including me) also prefer a coaxial design, which has a more even dispersion of sound.

My recommendation these days is the EV PXM-12MP. Not cheap but also not exorbitant, either. Excellent sound, small, light and loud.

As far as Cooper's classes, I'm not sure how much the content would differ. Most of what applies to the Axe Fx III is the same on the FM9.

I have a Headrush 108 that is perfect for jams. Small, light, and inexpensive with a big sound for its size. Mounts on a stand or sits wedge style on the floor. I don't gig with it (although I could), but I often bring it to rehearsal and mount it on a small stand with one of my bands and we are a four-piece rock band. Plenty loud enough for rehearsal. Just got my FM9 recently but it works great with it.

Should point out that there are some Alto (same company) FRFR/PA speakers like the TS408 for about the same price If you want to stay in that inexpensive price range. They are not specifically voiced for guitar, as the Headrush claims, but do a better job of doubling as stage monitors and have additional features like Bluetooth and more DSP options.

Anyway, the definition of "portable" varies from person to person. To me it is an 8" to 10" speaker, particularly the 8" when I want something especially small and light. There are plenty of other options out there though and to some extent you get what you pay for. Amazing how good the inexpensive options have gotten though. Might want to bring your FM9 into the local guitar store and try a few.

Last edited:
I had the Headrush 112 and I thought it was OK until I bought a Laney FR 1x12. Much better sound but pretty heavy. Recently, however, I purchased a Redsound MF10, branded by G66 (EU distributors for Fractal). Totally different league. Amazing sound and light. Very expensive, but damn…

I purchased Cooper Carter’s FM3 Masterclass and it’s brilliant. When I upgraded to the FM9, I couldn’t justify purchasing the FM9 course because as somebody else said, the methodology is pretty much the same with only a few exceptions.

Let us know what you settle on.

The Headrush 108 have 3 qualities, powerful, not expensive, not heavy
On the other hand, I didn't like their sound reproduction.
To be completely transparent at the same time I also had a pair of CLR Wedge MKII ..... so my ear was used to CLRs which are known to be good FRFR.

You can try, if it suits you then it will be the right choice.
There are many FRFR manufacturers if you include the manufacturers of sound speakers that work well in FRFR guitar and the manufacturers more specialized in FRFR guitar....some very expensive, others more reasonable.

Today, according to my needs, I use 3 different configurations:
a light mono config:
1 small 100W GSS amp with a Harley Benton CAB equipped with a Celestion F12-X200, very easy to transport and inexpensive.

a light stereo config: a Blueamp CUBO 2 CAB 8" easy to transport 2x130W, well made, qualitative, more expensive ....

A heavier stereo or mono config: a custom Blueamp MIMIC 112 CUSTOM 2X250W stereo amplification, 1 Celestion F12-X200 usable in mono or stereo with my CAB Harley Benton, I don't think this config will suit you right now.

You can also look at what Blueamp, Redsound and probably others offer, it has fairly light FRFR configs in 8" or 10"

if portability is important it is preferable to target 8" speakers or speakers with neodymium magnets, this greatly reduces the weight of the speaker

Only one rule that always works, try to listen.....

Last edited:
I have 2 Headrush 108's. I occasionally use them at home for stereo goodness.
I have used them live as personal monitors in stereo.
I find for the price, size, weight they are hard to beat!
They go plenty loud.

I do use a custom EQ to get them flatish.
I also have a Headrush 112. I find it's way too big compared to the 108's.

I have the EV PXM-12MP and Redsound MF-10. Each has its advantages. I think the EV sounds closer to my Focal Alpha 65s...not the same, not really "similar," but closer than the MF10. I've had great success dialing in tones by starting with the Alphas and then going to the EV to get a sense of how the preset will sound in PA speakers. Rarely any tweak needed. For gigs, I've been using the EV in its "Monitor 2" setting and have to say that I like the ability to tweak at the speaker (EV has a nice DSP), 'tho I don't generally need to. The MF10 is warmer, but the tweeter has a 2K thing that I find I have to eq out. the MF10's low end is more like a guitar cab than the EV. Not "the same," but closer than the EV. That said I think the EV is better in the mids and is overall a better choice...its less expensive and more flexible. The MF10 is smaller and lighter but reviews say that when paired with its passive extension cab, it is the best FRFR on the market...but at that point it is $2400, so it better be great!

Re: the Cooper Carter course, check in with him. I have an AxeFX and FM9T but use the FM9T 95% of the time. Given that he suggested that I used the FM9 course. I would expect that if you took the AxeFX course, there's not a ton of difference. In the FM9 class he offered some great tips to cut down on CPU usage...figure that may be one thing thats not in the AF3 version.

Last edited:
I hated the Headrush 108. Didn't care for the Laney either but that could have been the super small room and less-than-idea setup. I had a Matrix FRFR a while back and disliked that too. I honestly had pretty much given up on FRFR. But I love the EV PXM-12MP. YMMV.

Haven't tried the Redsound stuff. I actually probably would have if it had been readily available. With the EVs though, I'm good. Time for more playing and less shopping 😂

im probably too late to this thread. if you bought both an axe3 and fm9.... get TWO EV Pxm-12mp speakers, run in stereo and save yourself A LOT of reading.

@Markcarl Hey did you ever get a powered speaker? What did you go with?
@scottp I got an EV PXM-12MP. I like it a lot. I’ve done A/B tests side by side in the same room comparing the PXM-12MP with my Adam Audio A7V studio monitors. I was pleasantly surprised with how similar sounding they are. That’s a big deal for me. I can now:

1) dial in a sound I like on my Axe-Fx III Turbo that’s connected to the A7V monitors in my basement studio
2) transfer the preset to my FM9 connected to the PXM-12MP upstairs

The tone is so similar I don’t feel the need to tweak the eq or come up with custom presets for the studio monitors vs PXM-12MP when I’m playing in the house. I understand playing live with others and playing at high volume will involve eq tweaking, but that’s a separate issue. Note: I have the PXM-12MP set to monitor 2 mode.

I’m new to the whole FRFR thing. I think I’m starting to understand the benefits. What I’m observing is how it should be right? There shouldn’t be major eq differences required to get FRFR speaker A to sound similar to FRFR speaker B?

I’m digging the PXM-12MP so much that I’m considering getting a second one!

Last edited:
@scottp I got an EV PXM-12MP. I like it a lot. I’ve done A/B tests side by side in the same room comparing the PXM-12MP with my Adam Audio A7V studio monitors. I was pleasantly surprised with how similar sounding they are. That’s a big deal for me. I can now:

1) dial in a sound I like on my Axe-Fx III Turbo that’s connected to the A7V monitors in my basement studio
2) transfer the preset to my FM9 connected to the PXM-12MP upstairs

The tone is so similar I don’t feel the need to tweak the eq or come up with custom presets for the studio monitors vs PXM-12MP when I’m playing in the house. I understand playing live with others and playing at high volume will involve eq tweaking, but that’s a separate issue. Note: I have the PXM-12MP set to monitor 2 mode.

I’m new to the whole FRFR thing. I think I’m starting to understand the benefits. What I’m observing is how it should be right? There shouldn’t be major eq differences required to get FRFR speaker A to sound similar to FRFR speaker B?

I’m digging the PXM-12MP so much that I’m considering getting a second one!

That is great to hear! I have an EV PXM-12MP on order, due to arrive the 3rd week of October. I can't wait to try it with all the good talk about these speakers. It did take me a little while to get used to the FRFR compared to a traditional cab. But once you understand what you are hearing the fun begins. Once I get the EV, I will do my comparison to the HeadRush 108's that I have.

My method for dialing in sounds is just like yours. It's been working well.

Former HeadRush FRFR108 owner here. Owned a pair of these and they were what you might expect: decent entry level FRFRs that could use some global EQing at the output level. Shoutout to @WKSmith for writing up a post which describes how to EQ FRFR108s for a flatter frequency response curve.

About 16 months ago, I made a conscious choice to upgrade my FRFR108s to slightly higher quality FRFRs. Did some research regards what folks were using, and considered my budget. Settled on a pair of QSC CP8's rather than the higher level K2 series. The K2's were vastly "better sounding"speakers, but they had QC issues regards the onboard processors. The CP8's were easier to dial in, with fewer QC issues.

The CP8's actually were a better value considering price point vs. QC. Excellent sound reproduction and reinforcement compared to what most everyone else was using, perhaps ⅓ to ½ the price point.

If your budget allows, the EV PXM-12P's are almost the best you can buy at that price. But if you might need to consider your budget and keep the wife happy, the QSC CP8s are what I'd personally suggest.

Back
Top Bottom