Speaker Drive / output mode?

squealie

Experienced
Would some kind soul point me to the details of the Output Mode parm on the Speaker Drive panel of the amp block?

I'm probably in the minority in that I sent out 1 to FOH and 2 to a pair of 4x12s back when gigs were a thing.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: its on the 'advanced page' in the online manual. Sorry for the bonehead play.

Last edited:
Would some kind soul point me to the details of the Output Mode parm on the Speaker Drive panel of the amp block?

I'm probably in the minority in that I sent out 1 to FOH and 2 to a pair of 4x12s back when gigs were a thing.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: its on the 'advanced page' in the online manual. Sorry for the bonehead play.
I run a similar setup and until now I've always set it to SS Pwr amp + Cab.
But the latest beta changed the behaviour so I need to experiment with it again.

When set this way it basically turns off the compression part of the speaker dynamics algorithm, which is a good thing when using real guitar speakers and it might be too when cranking an FRFR monitor.

Personally I'd use the FRFR setting only for recording or for low/mid volume playing thru FRFR speakers

I would definitely want it with FRFR speakers at any volume. A good FRFR speaker does not compress significantly.

Hi there

I posted the below message in another thread today, but realised it probably would fit better here:

Hi guys.

As the new speaker compression algorithm of Cygnus is being rolled out, I got to doing some research to see if I managed to get a better grip on the whole sopeaker compression modeling and the various parameters around it do. I was under the impression that this parameter will not really be relevant for me, as I run a seymour duncan powerstage 170 (class D) on a Mesa Mini Recto straight (1x12) and always set the output mode to SS PA +Cab Mode. However, as it turns out, I seem to have been getting it the wrong way all this time, as I now realise that this mode is NOT intended for class D amps (which the SD Power stage is an example of).

Well, what does it mean? Is it that the FRFR mode would then be better suited for my setup? I was under the impression that when the SS+ cab mode was selected, then speaker compression was not modeled to allow the actual compression to come from the interaction between the SS amp and the real speaker. Now, seeing this, I am all confused.

1 basically, what output mode would you recommend Me?
2 will my setup benefit from the new Cygnus compression algorythm improvement?

thanks!

In essence, quite confused at the moment about the output mode I should use for my application, based on the info from the blocks manual:

NOTE: The SS PA +Cab Mode is NOT intended for use with “current drive” power amps, i.e. tube power amps, Class-D current feedback amps, etc. This mode CAN be used, however, with FRFR monitors in high volume applications where the monitor’s speakers are compressing, thereby achieving a more dynamic response."
Non-Class-D solid-state amps include: Matrix GT.

Class-D power amps include: Seymour Duncan PowerStage, Dayton.

If the SS PA + cab mode is not intended for class D amps, does that mean that FRFR mode is? None (meaning it would not be getting idea response from either)

Any experience with this?

thanks!

I would definitely want it with FRFR speakers at any volume. A good FRFR speaker does not compress significantly.
I have a few doubts about that, I think thermal compression happens regardless of what speaker type you're using.

In essence, quite confused at the moment about the output mode I should use for my application, based on the info from the blocks manual:

If the SS PA + cab mode is not intended for class D amps, does that mean that FRFR mode is? None (meaning it would not be getting idea response from either)

Any experience with this?

thanks!
It's not intended for Class-D current feedback amps, not all class D amps. I don't think the PS170 (aka icepower) is a current feedback amp.

Thanks for the reply, @DCL86.

Then, the note on the manual is probably a bit misleading, as it first states that the mode is not intended for Class D current feedback amps, and next goes on to naming a few examples of Class D amps (among which it cites the Power stage). While it is true that when referencing the examples, Class D is mentioned, as opposed to class D current feedback, not being an expert on the matter, I didn’t realise the difference, and assumed that the examples were just adding on what was previously mentioned.

Again, very little knowledge on this, so I have had to google it to try and find out what exact type amp the power stage is, but no luck. Will keep searching

Back
Top Bottom