Speaker Comp with clean tones

DanGuitarMan

Inspired
I have to crank the speaker comp parameter to 10 to achieve minimal compression while using my clean tones. I'm aiming for at least 3db, but I can only muster about 1.5db.

For instance, I use the JC 120 for a gospel style clean. Pedal comp in front of the amp. Input gain is set around 3, or to where I can't hear it break up. I dime the master volume to 10 and it still only tickles the speaker compressor, which is also dimed.

Am I missing something here? Is there a trick to making the speaker comp parameter react more strongly to what I'm giving it besides altering the input drive?

Pedal comp in front of the amp.
Am I missing something here? Is there a trick to making the speaker comp parameter react more strongly to what I'm giving it besides altering the input drive?
maybe the Pedal Compressor before the amp is already compressing it?

maybe the Pedal Compressor before the amp is already compressing it?

Perhaps, but I keep it relatively low and make sure to level match it so its not adding additional volume. If anything it would help drive the preamp more and make the speaker compress, right?

But speaker compression is relative to how hard the power amp is working, I think, as it's affected by Master Volume.

Since the JC-120 is not a tube amp I suspect it may be expected to have less speaker compression.

Of course, I could be completely off base! ;)

try a different amp model set similarly, maybe Shiver Clean - can you get the Speaker comp to work how you expect there?

I will definitely try. I use Dirty Shirley, JC120, and direct for my main clean tones. The speaker comp behaves this way with both the JC and Shirley. I'm wondering what's the mechanism at work here, because changing the MV doesn't alter the perceived volume.

I will definitely try. I use Dirty Shirley, JC120, and direct for my main clean tones. The speaker comp behaves this way with both the JC and Shirley. I'm wondering what's the mechanism at work here, because changing the MV doesn't alter the perceived volume.
You are changing MV and the volume doesn't change? Do you have power amp modeling disabled either globally or by setting Supply Sag to 0 in the Amp block?

Sag and modeling is on. There is a change but I always felt like there was some kind of make up gain or normalization going on when I turn the MV. Anyway, I digress :)

Sag and modeling is on. There is a change but I always felt like there was some kind of make up gain or normalization going on when I turn the MV. Anyway, I digress :)
there definitely isn't. changing Master Volume will typically change the perceived volume very noticeably. are you running into some other compressor?

Unless the amp is saturating the power stage, there should be a change. And for a clean tone, that isn't going to be the case.

Unless the amp is saturating the power stage, there should be a change. And for a clean tone, that isn't going to be the case.

Am I correct in assuming that using a clean tone will naturally lend itself to less speaker compression? There is a lot more compression available with my high gain patches.

Am I correct in assuming that using a clean tone will naturally lend itself to less speaker compression? There is a lot more compression available with my high gain patches.
I'm definitely not an expert on it but that seems to be what I have noticed.

I am leaving it for the most part at the default value and on my clean(ish) amps I think I'm getting about 1.5-1.8dB of reduction.

Back
Top Bottom