SPDIF Stereo cab record delay

TheMonkii

Hi, I don't know if this has been encountered before - or I'm just being a dumbass with a simple output setting - but I seem to be getting a very small delay when recording a stereo cab via SPDIF.

Capturing a single cab over stereo is spot on:
(DI track above the two stereo capture tracks is slightly out, but expected over LineOut as compared to digital)

pic2.jpg

Applying the stereo cab and panning hard left/right to capture two mic placements at once, yields a slightly offset capture on the Right channel:
(Top track is left channel (cab1 panned hard L) and bottom is right (cab2 panned hard right))

pic3.jpg

The question is, is it something I'm missing with the stereo cab outputs or is this expected behaviour? Have tried putting the same IR in both slots to see if it was a mismatch that was causing the phasing issues. But same problem. The right channel is recorded slightly after the left.

AX8 > SPDIF Out > Focusrite6i6 SPDIF In (For stereo cab capture)
AX8 > FXLoopOut > Focusrite6i6 Line In (For DI capture)
Main out is set to STEREO
FX Send mode is set to L+RSUM
FX Send echo is set to NONE

Thanks for any pointers

No-one encountered this before?
Haven't been able to find solution other than manual aligning which seems to defeat the point of tracking via digital.

Yup and through a little A/B-ing over the last few weeks there can be an even greater discrepancy when using IRs from places like OwnHammer (which I'm wanting to implement instead of current stock IRs that I'm testing with).

Don't know whether it's maybe a micro delay in the IR captures (silence gap at the head of the signal) or just a processing delay from the AX8 itself. But the phasing seems to change with different cabs.

Does it happen if you only usu stock cabs? When you imported 3rd party cabs, did you choose the minimum phase transform variant? The other option is usually real phase or something like that.

Yeah this is all testing with stock cabs. But the third party OH cabs seem to have a bit more discrepancy.
Have imported third party IR .wav files direct via Axe-Manage Cabs in AX8-Edit. Didn't get options for phase transform when I did that.

I don't have my AX8 here, so I cannot find the exact place. In AxeManage, I think you need to set whether to phase transform in a settings menu. There are some more or less hidden default settings in there, you should check.

Yeah the processing mode. That may only have an effect on the imported files and doesn't solve the stock cab problem I'm getting though does it?

No. Although the line recorded tracks have slightly higher latency, the micro second delay is still present between channels/cabs. So still that slight phasing

It sounds really weird. Everything is packed up for tonight, so I cannot test anything, but maybe somebody could? It is really just a patch with an amp and a stereo cab with two different IRs in them.?

Could anyone tell me if there's any documentation on the IR import settings/processing modes available? If I could understand the specifics behind the couple of options, maybe I could work backwards to convert the IRs that I want to use and negate the offset problem.

Back
Top Bottom