SPDIF Re-Amping using Liquid Saffire 56 - setup?

Pelikanen

Inspired
After many failed attempts using "shasha"'s method and methods from other threads involving the Saffire, I was wondering:

Could someone simply tell me exactly how the gear I have should be setup for re-amping guitar/bass in real time with other instruments/tracks playing back simultaneously in my DAW (Logic 9)?
I know this comes off as lazy but I'm hoping this thread could clarify this once and for all.

So...
What cables do I need and how should they be connected?
What are the settings supposed to be in the Axe?
How do I configure ins/outs in Logic? (+ mono/stereo etc)
How do I configure ins/outs etc in Mix Control? (+ mono/stereo etc)
Is there a way to tell if the Saffire is/isn't the Master Clock?

I'm asking these obvious questions because it feels like I'm missing something very, very obvious, or maybe it isn't obvious at all...?

So, when I tried "shasha"'s method everything worked except being able to play back the dry track after recording it and send it back to the Axe. That is when the dry track's output in Logic is set to anything else but "Stereo Out".

What I used:

Axe Fx II XL - with the settings from "shasha"
Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
iMac with Logic 9
Yamaha monitors connected to the Saffire

How I connected it:

Two patch cables -> Axe Fx Unbalanced Output 1 -> Saffire Analog Inputs 5 + 6, panned hard L + R
USB cable -> Axe Fx -> iMac
MIDI cable -> Axe Fx MIDI Out -> Saffire MIDI In (I have no idea why this is necessary, I always have it plugged in)
Two 75 Ohm SPDIF cables -> Axe Fx SPDIF In -> Saffire SPDIF Out and vice versa
Monitors -> White main monitor outputs
Guitar -> Axe Front Input

Settings I guess could be relevant in the Saffire Mix Control:

Sample Rate: 48 kHz
Sync Source: Internal
Sync Status: Locked
Input 9 -> "Inputs" -> "SPDIF 1.1, panned hard left <- here I can hear the dry signal when playing
Input 10 -> "Inputs" -> "SPDIF 1.2, panned hard right <- ----------------------------II----------------------------
Access to SDPIF 2.1 and 2.2 is denied.
Input 17 (named "DAW 1 & 2") -> DAW -> DAW 1
Input 18 -> DAW - DAW 2
Mix 1 (L) -> Monitor Output 1
Mix 2 (R) -> Monitor Output 2

Settings in Logic:

Sample Rate: 48 kHz
24-bit recording: enabled
Audio channel 1 - DRY - mono - Input 9 - Output 9/Output 9-10
Audio channel 2 - WET - stereo - Input 5-6 - Stereo Out
Audio channel 2 - RE-AMP - stereo - Input 5-6 - Stereo Out

Last edited:
Yeah I've re-amped this way many times (but still using the Saffire for monitoring), but the thing is it isn't possible to tweak tones in the context of a mix simultaneously... or is it possible somehow?? Can you tell me how to do it if you know? :D

Last edited:
Yeah I've re-amped this way many times (but still using the Saffire for monitoring), but the thing is it isn't possible to tweak tones in the context of a mix simultaneously... or is it possible somehow?? Can you tell me how to do it if you know? :D
I am no expert in this in any way...but my only thought is , do you have both AxeFx and Saffiire active together as input and output in an Aggregate Device (created in OSX Audio Midi Utility? Not sure if that would help but.......

No the wet signal of the Axe Fx is monitored via the Saffire because the monitors are connected to it. But I select the Axe as my interface in Logic and it records the wet and dry signal digitally via USB. But I've seen the video on the aggregate device stuff too (he used an Saffire actually), might have to give that a go. All I want to make sure is that I'm getting the best signal possible and as few problems as possible. I've read somewhere that the aggregate can be interrupted or some kind of drifting can occur.

No the wet signal of the Axe Fx is monitored via the Saffire because the monitors are connected to it. But I select the Axe as my interface in Logic and it records the wet and dry signal digitally via USB. But I've seen the video on the aggregate device stuff too (he used an Saffire actually), might have to give that a go. All I want to make sure is that I'm getting the best signal possible and as few problems as possible. I've read somewhere that the aggregate can be interrupted or some kind of drifting can occur.

Definitely worth checking out....best of luck

Back
Top Bottom