SPDIF problem: AxeFxIII -> Focusrite direct doesn't work but does work via AxeFXII

Hey all,

SPDIF isn't working properly between Axe-Fx III and Focusrite Saffire Pro 14. Hoping for some opinions.

The Axe-Fx III accepts audio from Saffire whether Saffire Sync Source set to Internal or SPDIF but only when Axe-Fx III Word Clock is set to SPDIF/AES IN.

Whether I setup Axe-Fx III and Pro 14 as master/slave or slave/master, instead of hearing Axe-Fx III tones through the Pro 14 I hear a loud pop of scratchy noise then silence, occurring approximately every second.

If I run Axe-Fx III (word clock internal) into my Axe-Fx II (set to Auto or SPDIF) it works.

The Axe-Fx II into the Pro 14 also works flawlessly.

If I plug the Axe-Fx III (word clock internal) into the Axe-Fx II (Auto or SPDIF) into the Pro 14 (Sync Source set to SPDIF or Internal) the Axe-Fx III is perfectly audible through the Pro 14.

I'd like to run the Axe-Fx III direct into the Pro 14. Adamant it's not a cable issue (even bought another one today just to be sure). Running latest Axe-Fx III firmware. Aside from reinstalling Focusrite driver or taking the Axe-Fx III to a friend's place to test with different interface, I'm out of ideas. (Running Mohave, if that's useful).

Would appreciate any help. Particularly hoping to allay fears there's a problem with the unit. (Its working with Axe-Fx II sets my mind somewhat at ease...)

Cheers x Dawes

It should be as simple as setting the Focusrite sync source to SPDIF and making sure the audio interface is running at 48 KHz. I haven't tried this with my Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen and Axe-Fx 3 yet but it worked perfectly with my FM3.

I agree that should be the case, hence the head-scratching.

Reinstalled Saffire Pro 14 driver but still no fix.

Will test on friends' interfaces asap and report findings 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom