SPDIF no longer working

Matt_B

Inspired
After unplugging the SPDIF connection from my secondary Ultra, bringing to to friend's house to jam, then bringing it back home, I'm no longer getting any signal from the SPDIF output. I think I've debugged the problem thoroughly but just in case, here's what I tried

1) Ran the 1/4" outs to the analog inputs on my sound card and it works fine.
2) Connected the SPDIF output to the speakers for my other Ultra (the speakers have a digital input) using a different cable and no output.

So that means I've verified that the Ultra is sending an output signal (the 1/4" outs work) and that the SPDIF cable and audio card are not the problem (no signal with a completely different rig). Can anyone think of anything I missed?

I don't remember when I bought this one (bought 1 in May '09 and one in June '09) but I'd bet this is the older one so the warranty has expired. :(

I'm using Out 1 w/Out 2 set to copy to Out 1 but that all seems irrelevant because the 1/4" outs work fine.

I popped the traces out by yanking the cable plugged into the this spdif by accident I had to ship it to fractal for repair. For a little while I could get it to work by pushing the Jack to one side I guess it was enough to touch together whatever I snapped. Something to checkout anyway

Thanks for the info rsf1977. I tried wiggling the SPDIF output with the cable connected and that did nothing as well. I know the cable was never yanked out but I had to twist the connection (grabbed the cable's connector and turned while pulling it off slowly) so it's possible just removing it caused.

i don't know if it's a design flaw or not but the spdif out connection seems pretty wobbly in general. But when i broke mine i tried to walk a way with my axe while it was connected lol, it was a pretty severe yank i don't think any engineering would have saved it lol. But fractal fixed mine asap it was pretty cheap if i remember right.

My SPDIF RCA jack has stopped working on my ULTRA too. No yanking, but I did remove the connection a bit in the last week but never yanked it.

Not sure if mine is broken or not. It's either that, or the SPDIF on my interface is screwed. Happened some time ago, and I didn't have anything else with SPDIF outputs (or another interface with SPDIF inputs) to test it out, so I just changed to using the analogue outs for recording. The Ultra just stayed in the rack, SPDIF always connected. The interface went off for repair, and when it came back the SPDIF wasn't working... so I just assumed it was the interface, CBF dealing with it, so I just moved on.

Now that I think about it, I think my media centre has an SPDIF out... might hook that up to the interface and see if I can get signal. :)

In my case its definitely the Axe-Fx. I have two other spdif sources, tested with the same cable worked fine. Plus the axe-fx output was working fine until it gave out.

I don't know why you'd be using SPDIF, Cliff himself said the analog outs sound better. Even if it didn't, no glitches / clock problems using analog. I know that's not going to help you if you insist on staying with SPDIF, but you may want to explore using analog instead knowing that. I have no idea / don't care if my SPDIF works.

Interesting. This issue might be a design flaw.

if you look at how the S/PDIF jacks are mounted on the Axe-Fx II, you will see that there is a screw that secures the jacks to the chassis so that they can withstand plugging and unplugging without issue.

Back
Top Bottom