Spanky Strat-work on GoPro

nice vibe, sound and playing Gary.
how do these pickups compare with others you've had?

cheers man - hard to describe sounds, but the new pickups are more complex, have more character/texture - it's like a blanket has been taken off my tone. All the others I've tried seem 'rounded off' or lifeless compared to these. It's got that real 'strat' sound, or at least what I associate with a vintage strat sound.

I've had Lace Sensors (shudder - but they came stock), Texas Specials, another kind I can't remember, Van Zandts, and Lollars before these, and they were all (except the Lace Sensros) sort of in the same range, minor changes, but these are really drastic, and in a good way. The bridge pup is a touch on the thin side, but that's a standard strat issue. It works great with fuzzes that fatten it up. I've got no affiliation with the guy other than buying his pickups, but here's his site: http://www.rocketfireguitars.com/pickups.html

Still in the honeymoon period perhaps, but I've never been this pumped about pickups ;)

How noisy are the pickups if you have to play in a place with fluorescent lights or not-so-clean electrical environment? The tone is outstanding and the playing delicious.

How noisy are the pickups if you have to play in a place with fluorescent lights or not-so-clean electrical environment? The tone is outstanding and the playing delicious.
They're actually not bad, about the same as other single-coils I've played, maybe even a touch quieter. I don't really have any shielding in the guitar, but my guitar tech said they're actually fairly quiet pickups. Having said that, they are still single-coils in a strat ;)

I've started going without a noise gate though, just because in some tunes I play really quiet. I keep it available as a footswitch though, in case I need it.

Back
Top Bottom