SpaceX Launch w/ Astronauts

Just clicked in and apparently the weather scrubbed the launch... next attempt on Saturday, 3:22 PM EST.

They made it to just under 17 minutes, but the skies were getting pretty dark. They figured if they had another 10 minutes, they could have launched but they had no launch window today, had to be that time.

Pretty cool to see the astronauts using the touch screens, with the onboard hi-def cameras...far cry from the Apollo video quality and even the shuttle videos.

All that modern tech and aesthetics was really trippy to see. Will be tuning in again on Saturday.

I was excited to see it launch and cautious about keeping my finger on the remote because having my kids watch two humans die in hi-def was on my mind. Having been in a classroom when Challenger blew up, watching it live, that's never far from my mind when watching human launches now.

Live broadcasts are delayed now by several seconds, so they can cut the feed before anything horrible actually airs. They may not catch everything though.

I too remember both Challenger and Columbia well. That kind of stuff sticks with you.

I too remember both Challenger and Columbia well. That kind of stuff sticks with you.

Never forget the day of the Challenger disaster. I was in one of the computer labs, in my third year of college, working on my project, a 6808 microprocessor controlled security system. I was programming the code in assembly on an Orion computer, running CP/M, when someone came running into the lab with the news and we told them to stop kidding around. In those days you couldn’t Google it, had to wait for the news on T.V.

Columbia, I was laying on the couch on a sunny, but cold winter Saturday morning watching the landing on CNN...another really surreal moment.

Tempted to drive over from Tampa for Saturday's attempt, as I had to work today so couldn't do it, but I was looking at the traffic in the area today and it was absolute gridlock for miles.... would love to see a launch, especially this one in person, but if its 8 hours of traffic jam just to get close to the Cape might watch from home....

All that modern tech and aesthetics was really trippy to see. Will be tuning in again on Saturday.

I was excited to see it launch and cautious about keeping my finger on the remote because having my kids watch two humans die in hi-def was on my mind. Having been in a classroom when Challenger blew up, watching it live, that's never far from my mind when watching human launches now.

I was too of a little kid when Challenger's so I only got fragmented images and feelings, but remember vividly the Columbia, and I was well on my 20s. So sad, and so inspiring about human nature at the same time. How one individual can sacrifice everything for the sake of science and pushing the frontiers of humankind.

Sigh

Watched it was bummed that was scrubbed, interesting now with sx rocket launch commentators were saying they needed to have almost 1000 miles of good weather compared to space shuttle apparently thats not so restricted by weather.

They made it to just under 17 minutes, but the skies were getting pretty dark. They figured if they had another 10 minutes, they could have launched but they had no launch window today, had to be that time.

Pretty cool to see the astronauts using the touch screens, with the onboard hi-def cameras...far cry from the Apollo video quality and even the shuttle videos.

Once that technology was state of the art advanced shizzel no mere mortal could ever hope to see though. A computer as small as was in Apollo in every home was a far dream in 1969. There's a reason why futurists of the 50's and 60's always talked about flying cars and never small hand held computers that were connected wirelessly with every other computer across the world.

It was really cool to see them leave gravity and their straps start to float out from their bodies and stuff. Subtle indicator of the change they experience in forces on their bodies.

Back
Top Bottom