Sound via headphone jack on AXE FX versus through jack on Mackie 1202 VLZ mixer

Lkdog

Power User
The sound on the AXE FX headphone jack is clearer than out of the headphone jack of the Mackie 1202 vlz (about a 12 year old unit)

I have the analog outs of OUT 2 from AXE FX going into the Line 3/4 of a Mackie mixer. Everything is on Unity gain on mixer.

When I listen through the Headphone jack of the Mackie- it is not as clear or open as using the headphone out jack on the front of the AXE FX itself.
Kind of like removing a blanket from the sound, but not so dramatic, but there is a noticeable difference.

Is this just normal since I am going from the Axe FX outs through the mixer internal preamp outputs?

Would a higher quality mixer sound a little better?

I use this in home studio where the analog outs of an Echo Layla 3G computer sound card also go into the mixer for other tracks for jamming to backing tracks or listening to DAW mixes , or other music listening etc.
I record via digital out from Axe Fx into the Echo Layla 3G.

A higher quality mixer is likely to sound better. But the direct headphones in the Axe FX will be going via less AD/DA conversion than into the mixer and out again.

You are probably right.
I was kind of surprised as to much more transparent the sound was straight out of the Axe Fx box headphone outs.
I also run a set of outs from the Mackie then to the nearfields (KRK Rokit 6's) so they are getting the same pass through of the sound through the mixer.

I do run one xlr straight from Axe to the FBT Verve, but do not use that a lot.

Might be time for a mixer upgrade.
This one has served me well for many years.

I stumbled upon this thread and the post by STRATMAN68.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/48168-how-connect-mackie-mixer.html

I moved my line out cables to a non MIC preamped input (TRS) on the Mackie. Holy Cow!
Blanket lifted. Sounds just like out of the headphones out on my Mackie headphone jack now, and ALSO on the KRK Rokit 6's which are fed by the Mackie.

I was about ten minutes from heading to GC to pick up a new Mackie 1202 VLZ3.
He was exactly right- the MIC preamps do not play well with the AXE FX signal.

Sounds awesome now.
A bigger improvement than the V10 FW actually which was already great.

Back
Top Bottom