Sound of Metal

Yeah, loved this movie! Really dark, really intense, but not in a traditional way.

For those that love sound this movie will get in your head.

(I thought the "metal" was fine, yup, not a lot, but it sounded more like hc punk to me...)

I thought it was pretty good. I work with a guy that was in the Army, artillery, and he has one of those implants. He's told me about it before, what works and what doesn't, but it clicked for me more after seeing the movie.

It really does make you appreciate your hearing. I hope someone that watched the movie takes some steps to protect it more.

I thought it was pretty good. I work with a guy that was in the Army, artillery, and he has one of those implants. He's told me about it before, what works and what doesn't, but it clicked for me more after seeing the movie.

It really does make you appreciate your hearing. I hope someone that watched the movie takes some steps to protect it more.
Indeed. I've always been careful about my hearing but now I'm even more careful. I was vacuuming and even started wondering about that (it's not super loud, but I vacuum for 40-ish minutes)...

A few years ago I found the NIOSH sound level meter, not perfect, but decent at helping you understand what "doses" of sound you're getting:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/niosh-sound-level-meter/id1096545820 (do your due diligence about privacy, blah blah, look into it for yourself)

Indeed. I've always been careful about my hearing but now I'm even more careful. I was vacuuming and even started wondering about that (it's not super loud, but I vacuum for 40-ish minutes)...

A few years ago I found the NIOSH sound level meter, not perfect, but decent at helping you understand what "doses" of sound you're getting:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/niosh-sound-level-meter/id1096545820 (do your due diligence about privacy, blah blah, look into it for yourself)

Haha! I put plugs in when I vaccuum. I may be going too far.

It looks like it could be good. It kills me how metal is portrayed in pop culture, so I'm a little gun-shy. I saw the film Hesher and thought it must be so difficult when one is not a part of something to approach it with respect or understanding. In Hesher Gordon-Levitt was, to me, the opposite of what many fans are like; his performance was like a drunk cartoon to me.

Not that Sound of Metal looks that way, and I'm curious about the actor, about whom I have a good feeling. But I did have this feeling the music might be off in a way I'd have to actively distance. The term metal doesn't mean much, and to me is more of a signifier that one is trying to speak in a strategically overtly generic manner: by using it one is blanketly referring to an unbelievable number of sub genres, each with its own esthetic, completely different standards of taste and musicianship, loosely related by amounts of guitar gain (another dubious connection). A browse through metal-archives.com can give one an idea of how vast it really is.

I'm still curious to try Sound of Metal, but I've got so much ahead of it, it will be a while. Right now I'm hoping to see more of the Criterion Channel's collection of Robert Ryan movies. The first couple were fantastic!

It looks like it could be good. It kills me how metal is portrayed in pop culture, so I'm a little gun-shy. I saw the film Hesher and thought it must be so difficult when one is not a part of something to approach it with respect or understanding. In Hesher Gordon-Levitt was, to me, the opposite of what many fans are like; his performance was like a drunk cartoon to me.

Not that Sound of Metal looks that way, and I'm curious about the actor, about whom I have a good feeling. But I did have this feeling the music might be off in a way I'd have to actively distance. The term metal doesn't mean much, and to me is more of a signifier that one is trying to speak in a strategically overtly generic manner: by using it one is blanketly referring to an unbelievable number of sub genres, each with its own esthetic, completely different standards of taste and musicianship, loosely related by amounts of guitar gain (another dubious connection). A browse through metal-archives.com can give one an idea of how vast it really is.

I'm still curious to try Sound of Metal, but I've got so much ahead of it, it will be a while. Right now I'm hoping to see more of the Criterion Channel's collection of Robert Ryan movies. The first couple were fantastic!
Don't overthink it. The movie is nothing about "metal" music; it's about a drummer trying to cope with losing his hearing. The filmmaker's idea of metal is just loud obnoxious noise that had me hitting the mute button every time it came up, but that's a very small part of the movie. Personally I didn't like the movie at all because the characters are unlikeable idiots and it felt like some heavy-handed public service announcement written by ear doctors, but to be fair I'm pretty jaded.

Don't overthink it. The movie is nothing about "metal" music; it's about a drummer trying to cope with losing his hearing. The filmmaker's idea of metal is just loud obnoxious noise that had me hitting the mute button every time it came up, but that's a very small part of the movie.
Pretty much what I was going to say...

It was more like art/noise rock.

Back
Top Bottom