Sound Checks & Your Pre-Gig Process

PSea

Experienced
I'm not an experienced gig'er. And our last gig went pretty rough due to noise issues. We all arrived 2hrs before the gig (dive bar w/ questionable wiring, signs and dimmers all over the place). We had everything set up in 35min. I was impressed. Everyone helps out. Then we turned everything on and had an awful hum. I literally spent the entire pre-show time trying to figure it out (as well as ea intermission). No luck. We didn't get a sound check and frankly, I was so frazzled by the audio problems, I didn't recover the rest of the night. Wondering....

1. What's your band's process for set up?
2. How long before showtime do you get there?
3. How do you run soundchecks? Full song, then adjust and replay it again? Just part of a song and then stop to adjust and play another part?
4. What do you do to warm up pre-show. I always feel self-conscious noodling pre-show? Any of you throw on some headphones and warm up so no one else can hear?
5. For those w/ powered speakers to FOH, do you use the speaker's built in DSP for bass, mid, treble or leave it flat? Do you aim for a particular volume (at a particular distance)? When do you decide it's better to adjust the speaker's volume vs adjusting at the mixer?
6. How long of an intermission do you take?

Hope that's not too much to unpack. ...and maybe it helps a few others as well.

Would love to hear from those gigging regularly. We don't have someone running sound, so I'm also responsible for that too...and I've now done it for a total of 3 shows for our new band. It's been one heck of a learning curve. Could have been worse. But still not happy. ...and i need to focus more on smiling despite thinking i'm constantly smiling. grrr.

I have only done sound for a few small gigs (and never as a member of the band), but here is what I would do....

Separate the setup of the PA/speakers from the mixing of the band.

Use the volume/EQ of the PA/speakers to get the sound as you want it in the room. For this use reference tracks (material you know well from listening in a good environment) as a sound source. Listen from the audience position(s) and adjust the volume to gig level. Then use the PA/speaker EQ to get the reference material sounding as it should in the room. Once these are set using the reference material leave these controls alone and start setting up the mixer. With the mixer main fader level is at 0 VU when playing the reference material you have some room to adjust overall volume from the mixer if necessary.

The mixer is there to provide mixes to the FOH (main outputs) and the stage monitors (AUX output(s)). Usually a few different passages from a couple of songs (20-30 sec. each) is sufficient to get levels for the FOH and monitor mixes. Definitely no need to run through an entire song before making adjustments. Ideally, mixing levels are set in real time as the band is playing - harder to do if you're doing the sound and playing in the band. Obviously you want to be in the audience's listening position when adjusting for FOH and the musicians ought to be in place on stage when setting monitor mixes. Once you have mix levels for the FOH and monitors, have the band run through a couple of passages "at gig intensity". Good idea to briefly solo each channel during this last check to double check input levels (PFL) to ensure they are still in line with the initial check (many will play differently when together with a band compared with the first individual level checks). Also check levels for some sections where instruments are soloing (e.g. guitar solo) - without someone mixing during the performance you're relying on the musicians to adjust their sound/dynamics appropriately.

If band members have issues with their monitor mixes or audience members you know mention issues during specific songs or song sections (e.g too much bass, or can't hear the 2nd guitar etc.) then that is good information for selecting which passages to use for soundcheck at the next show.

Our band does pop covers a huge range of material. We describe it as "From Doors, to Devo, to Dua Lipa"). We play weddings, wineries/breweries and private parties. No bars.

Pretty similar to what was posted above. I will add that we ring out the mics as part of the setup.

Usually 2 hours. We're usually set up in 45 min and ready to sound check. But, the 2 hours gives some cushion for the times when "sh*t happens". (and it does happen)

3. How do you run soundchecks? Full song, then adjust and replay it again? Just part of a song and then stop to adjust and play another part?
Our band leader controls the mixer from an iPad and we use wireless so that he and I can go out to the audience and listen. Our settings are saved in the mixer so most changes for EQ/reverb/etc are just tweaks. We do fragments of specific songs that represent our sets, solos, and all instruments. In addition to that, at the first song or two, he or I will wander into the audience and check that nothing is odd. Also, as the room fills (or empties), the acoustics change and we may check again.

4. What do you do to warm up pre-show. I always feel self-conscious noodling pre-show? Any of you throw on some headphones and warm up so no one else can hear?
If I'm nervous, I may run scales just to get the fingers woken up - but I'm not plugged in. Another thing is that 15 minutes before we go on, I get the guitar around my neck so that it warms up. The tuning will change as the guitar's temperature is warmed by your body. In 15 minutes, I'll do a last tune before we play and it'll be stable from there out. (I do the same before starting after a break)

5. For those w/ powered speakers to FOH, do you use the speaker's built in DSP for bass, mid, treble or leave it flat? Do you aim for a particular volume (at a particular distance)? When do you decide it's better to adjust the speaker's volume vs adjusting at the mixer?
The powered speakers are set and forget...we know where the knobs belong and it's one less variable to mess with. Everything is controlled at the mixer. I'm pushing our band leader/bass player to start to save the mixer settings for each venue as we usually revisit them a few times a year...he's just looking into that.

Depends on the situation. The venue contracts for 3 hours, we'll do 3 sets with 15 minute breaks. But, in reality, things change at almost every gig and we adjust on the fly. Some gigs are two longer sets so we'll take a slightly longer break. We also change the songs on the fly depending on what's happening with the audience. It's not unusual to find out that the audience needs something different and we'll shift the set list around. We've gotten to the gig and found out that what the host said the audience demographics would be was completely off and needed to shift on the fly. This happened at a recent medical school gig where the audience started as mostly older professors/spouses....but later in the evening, they left and the med student wanted a party. Bottom line, you need to be agile.

There's all sorts of good advice regarding preparing for the stage. Most of it is common - like bring a "spare", which could mean anything from strings or picks to a guitar and amp. I usually play through traditional amps, using FM9 for effects most of the time - but often times I use the amp/cab modelling direct to the PA for smaller stages. In either case, I carry a backup modelling pedal (Irridium) just in case something happens (I've never needed, but it helps me sleep better on stage.... errrr I mean at night. Additionally, while I do tend to utilize a lot of effects - I make it a point to make sure that I can can still play a good and complete set with just a guitar and Irridium to the PA. As much as I use (and abuse) delays, reverbs and phasers - I won't let myself become beholden to them.

Anyway, there's bound to be tons of great advice from people. But the one thing I never hear people say is bring a set of ear plugs. Not only does it protect your hearing, but if you sing - they can really come in handy when dealing with a bad monitor mix.

Also, bring a drum key. Just trust me on this one.

Last edited:
I'm not an experienced gig'er. And our last gig went pretty rough due to noise issues. We all arrived 2hrs before the gig (dive bar w/ questionable wiring, signs and dimmers all over the place). We had everything set up in 35min. I was impressed. Everyone helps out. Then we turned everything on and had an awful hum. I literally spent the entire pre-show time trying to figure it out (as well as ea intermission). No luck. We didn't get a sound check and frankly, I was so frazzled by the audio problems, I didn't recover the rest of the night. Wondering....

Hope that's not too much to unpack. ...and maybe it helps a few others as well.

Would love to hear from those gigging regularly. We don't have someone running sound, so I'm also responsible for that too...and I've now done it for a total of 3 shows for our new band. It's been one heck of a learning curve. Could have been worse. But still not happy. ...and i need to focus more on smiling despite thinking i'm constantly smiling. grrr.
Get a voltage regulator for the band. It is different than a power conditioner in that it proides a constant voltage even in brown out conditions. Very similar to a UPS (Universal Power Supply). This will feed all the bands gear with a constant voltage even it the clubs power is crap.

What @GMGM said...everything has a backup. I have a mini board with an HX Stomp and a couple of pedals. It'll almost cover everything my FM9 will do. But, there's backups for almost everything within reason. I have two guitars that will cover each other if needed. Since we have some songs that require an acoustic guitar, my Fender Acoustaconic Player can be a tele if needed and my PRS Hollowbody 2 SE has electric and acoustic sounds. (in addition to my main which is a Strat). I have a synth (AKAI MPC) for the samples we use in songs and have an iPad on stage that can quickly cover any of those parts if needed.

+1 on the earplugs. I have those on my keychain just in case.

We are 100% digital...even the drums and those still need a drum key!

The key is look at every piece of gear and identify that you have a replacement or a work-around if that fails.

great insights! thank you!

woke early the next morning after the gig troubled by the night's performance. one of the first things i did was figure out how to pipe our own hse music through the PA. i hadnt been using any reference musuc to fine tune the speakers. great advice.

Get a voltage regulator for the band. It is different than a power conditioner in that it proides a constant voltage even in brown out conditions. Very similar to a UPS (Universal Power Supply). This will feed all the bands gear with a constant voltage even it the clubs power is crap.
power conditioners dont provide steady voltages? im surprised. thx for the tip. I'll look into it

We gig 2-3 times a week, bands been running for 37 years. I've been in and out during that time with other tours and such,to do. I'm on about 4k gigs so far.

1. What's your band's process for set up? Unload and set up PA and all gear, Takes about 90 mins theses days. This includes with DMX lighting
2. How long before showtime do you get there? 2 Hours
3. How do you run soundchecks? Full song, then adjust and replay it again? Just part of a song and then stop to adjust and play another part? We have 2 or 3 Set songs we soundcheck, they generally are the ones with all vocals and as close to all instruments featured.
4. What do you do to warm up pre-show. I always feel self-conscious noodling pre-show? Any of you throw on some headphones and warm up so no one else can hear? Warm up would be nice but generally time means no chance. Generally warm from just lugging gear and soundchecking.
5. For those w/ powered speakers to FOH, do you use the speaker's built in DSP for bass, mid, treble or leave it flat? Do you aim for a particular volume (at a particular distance)? When do you decide it's better to adjust the speaker's volume vs adjusting at the mixer? We have a sound man who does it, but set speakers flat and make sure everything is Hi/Lo cut appropriately.
6. How long of an intermission do you take? 15-20 mins max

We all use IEM and have an Allen and Heath desk that means we control our own mixes via phones/ipads etc. The joy for me is that once I got all my patches set on the Fractal. I know it will be fine for every show. Only real variables are anyone using analog stuff and voices. It is generally advisable to have someone else take care of FOH as you will be behind it 99% of the time. Add to that punters who think they know what they are and aren't hearing. My favourite being the numpties who stand right at the front in the line of the PA and then complain that stuff isn't loud enough... take 5 steps back , it's plenty oud if you are in projection of the PA.

Keep at it. It's fun.

power conditioners dont provide steady voltages? im surprised. thx for the tip. I'll look into it
Most do not. Some of them "clean" the power, but most just provide over voltage protection. UPS and voltage regulators keep the power within a certain range. Sags can actually be even harder on equipment than spikes. Furman makes a great one, but they are not cheap. Even a cheap UPS from a electronic retailer will help some. Just do some research before buying. Good luck!

Another thought regarding warming up...

I'm a guitarist, BUT... I find that warming up with drum sticks, even for just one minute, will get my hands warmed up better and faster than anything I've ever tried on guitar. Nothing fancy, just maybe some paradiddles, triplets, double-stroke rolls, etc. It's worth a try. The worst thing that can happen is your timing gets a little better.

1. What's your band's process for set up? I turn up with PA and lights. First task is to check the venue’s power sockets. After that I load in, lay down power, sound and lighting cables, and set up PA and lights. It takes me about an hour, more if the other band members turn up early and get in my way.
2. How long before showtime do you get there? Depends on the venue. For a bar it will be 6:30. Soundcheck around 7:30. Play from 9:00.
3. How do you run soundchecks? We use IEMs with a digital desk. All we need to do is a line check, then EQ FoH for the room. We normally play Verse and Chorus from two different songs.
4. What do you do to warm up pre-show. Not a lot. I’ll run through a spider exercise to make sure my fingers are working.
5. Do you use the speaker's built in DSP for bass, mid, treble or leave it flat? I’ve been using the same pair of Mackies for 15years. The volumes stay at 12 o’clock, and the boost/cut buttons are flat. We control everything from the PA.
6. Interval. In a bar it’s around 10 minutes, look enough to get a drink

Everything said above except anything 3 hours or under we don't break, a 4 hours show is 2 sets with a 20 minute break in the middle. We love to play and if someone is going to leave it'll be during the break so we avoid them. If someone needs a bathroom break we jump into a keyboard, guitar, or drum solo for a few minutes and everyone else clears the stage.
We all run IEM's and mix our own monitors individually so 1 song for sound check is usually good. 3-4 hours pre-show is our normal so we have time to eat and change before the night starts, most bookings for us are 2+ hours away so we need some "unwind" time before the show. The last guy on stage is usually the light tech tweaking and aiming. My pre-show ritual is tune up all guitars, change batteries in everything, clear off the stage for the intro, stretch out and take a deep breath. ;)

We're a 4-piece electric/acoustic classic rock (with a little country) cover band. The bulk of our shows are at small venues where we've played many times before. Guitars are direct to FOH and bass is through a 4x10 combo. There's a line out from the bass amp to the mixer, but we very seldom add any bass to the PA unless it's an outdoor gig. No mics on the drums at any of our usual venues, so we typically don't use subs on the PA. Lighting is minimal, just a few LED par cans.

1. What's your band's process for set up? I usually show up about 2 hours early to set up the PA and my gear. The rest of the guys show up about an hour before the show. One of our venues is only minutes away from home, so the bass player and I have gotten in the habit of showing up there in the early afternoon to set up most of the gear.

2. How long before showtime do you get there? If my gear's already set up, I still like to get there 45-60 minutes before showtime to get my guitars tuned and do a bit of shmoozing with the crowd. Otherwise, I'll show up a minimum of 2 hours before showtime. I set up most of the PA and all of my gear. (AFX III, FC-6, Roland GR-55, and 4 or 5 guitars.)

3. How do you run soundchecks? Full song, then adjust and replay it again? Just part of a song and then stop to adjust and play another part? We do brief line checks, but no soundcheck. At a new venue, we'll ring out the monitors and the mains. We already have snapshots in our mixer for the various venues we play at regularly, so we know pretty much where things need to sit EQ-wise. The first song is used to make minor level adjustments.

4. What do you do to warm up pre-show. I always feel self-conscious noodling pre-show? Any of you throw on some headphones and warm up so no one else can hear? I tune my guitars, and might run a few unamplified scales and riffs just to loosed up my fingers. The first song is my main warmup.

5. For those w/ powered speakers to FOH, do you use the speaker's built in DSP for bass, mid, treble or leave it flat? Do you aim for a particular volume (at a particular distance)? When do you decide it's better to adjust the speaker's volume vs adjusting at the mixer? We ALWAYS run our QSC K12s (FOH) and K10s (wedge monitors) at full volume and adjust levels at the mixer. I've had multiple pro sound engineers recommend that approach for the best headroom and cleanest signal. We usually run everything flat, although at some venues we might use the high pass filter on the monitors to help remove any boominess.

6. How long of an intermission do you take? We shoot for 15 minutes but often end up closer to 20, depending on how long it takes everyone to get back to the stage. Our crowds usually include a lot of our friends, so we're typically doing a lot of table-hopping and visiting with people during the breaks.

Rule #1: be a professional and be cool. We play gigs because we love music and love playing live. So, be prepared and be capable of rolling with any changes that will occur. We've played so many venues where the staff (owners, bartenders, sound operators, bouncers) have said something like "... we had [insert name of band] the other night and they were SUCH A BUNCH OF #$&^% to deal with...". Your reputation will precede you. When in doubt, refer to Wheaton's Law: don't be a d*ck.

Load in the gear and move everything into place onstage. Before we do anything with final setup / wiring up the amps, we move all of the empty cases from the stage; this makes it a lot easier for everyone to move around. Wire up everything, do a quick functionality test, and then get the heck out of the way. The sound crew will need to place mic stands / mics, and run cables, so make space for them. If you're willing (and knowledgeable), offer to help run cables or place mics.
At some point along this process, you should have encountered the house PA engineer (if they have one). Hand them a printed copy of your stage plot and input list. You have one, of course, right? See attached for simple example. Send this to the club in advance too. They'll probably lose it, which is why you brought along a printed copy. Also also: give the sound engineer a set list, even if you're doing all originals. Annotate that set list with anything that might help them, such as "sax solo" or "I switch to my acoustic guitar on this one".

As a general rule, the timing looks like this:
3 hours before showtime: arrive, load in, set up, make sure things are working, start with line checks from all inputs, then do full band soundcheck
2 hours before showtime: soundcheck is over and it's time for food! Leave yourself enough time to eat before a gig, either bringing something along, or making a quick run to somewhere nearby. If the venue has food, that's great too. They'll likely appreciate the business.
30 minutes before showtime: all band members and crew check in at the Green Room. Even if you don't have a formal "Green Room", decide where you'll all report in, perhaps at a table or something. Leave yourself this cushion of time so that you can relax, warm up, change clothes, and most importantly, relieve any anxiety about "where the heck is that one guy in the band!?".

Our sound checks are usually 20 minutes, but we might run to 30 if we're focusing on something.
Once all the line checks are completed, we start with something that is a fun energetic song. We just do the first verse and chorus, then immediately stop. Anyone wanting an adjustment asks for what they need, and then we re-run that same song, doing just the first verse and chorus. Usually by that point we have a decent stage mix going and can proceed.
We pick songs that represent the breadth of our set list. So each lead vocalist gets one, and we run anything with complex sections. If there are any new songs, or songs where we seem to have rough spots, we might run them.

Two answer for this question...
Once my rig is up and running, I grab a guitar and find somewhere out of the way to warm up. I don't need my amp or effects for this, so I just run scales or parts of songs to get prepared for soundcheck. Getting off the stage is helpful for everyone who is still setting up, and most people find noodling annoying, so avoid doing that unless you are fixing a patch or something. If you need to hear yourself when warming up, bring along headphones.
In the 30 minutes pre-show, I once again find somewhere quiet and do some warming up on a few songs. Just enough to feel comfortable and in the zone. For the last ten minutes before we hit the stage, the band is together in the Green Room. Any last-minute bathroom breaks should be taken care of by this point. That last ten minutes is just for the musicians, and no one else is allowed in the Green Room unless there is some kind of emergency. Those minutes aren't structured as any sort of Zen exercise... they're usually filled with goofy humor and talking about whatever weird TV shows we're watching. It's just because we want a few minutes to get focused on the moment.

I just send a flat signal to FOH. Stage volume is important, and we try to keep our volume level under control. The objective is that you can have a normal-volume conversation with a bandmate onstage without yelling. It's tempting (and fun!) to play loud, but we all know it's ultimately a losing proposition; it's bad for our ears, and it makes the FOH engineer's job harder if the stage volume is super loud. My FRFR usually sits behind me onstage, and once we've set our stage volume during soundcheck, I almost never change it during a show. I have a preset for each song, and they are all volume-leveled across all their scenes, and across all presets. So if I need a solo boost, it's already set in that scene. It takes some repeated runs at practice to finalize those settings. I don't even have a volume pedal onstage. My MIDI control board does have the ability to invoke the AxeFX "boost/cut and save" functions, but it's on a sub-page and I rarely invoke it. I put in the work ahead of the gig to free myself during gigs, so that I can just focus on playing (and making a futile attempt to look cool, which is also a losing proposition).
At this point, most audio engineers have encountered modeling systems for guitar, so they have some idea of what to do with that signal. I just tell them I'm sending them one or two XLR feeds, and that I've already added effects / ambience / equalization to my own taste, but they are the house engineer, and they should make any necessary adjustments at the board to build a good mix. I always ask them after the show if they had to make any changes (especially EQ) at the board; sometimes those are necessary to overcome peculiarities in a specific room, but it could also be that my tone sometimes is muddy or harsh in the context of the entire mix. Ask for feedback from the mixing engineer.

15-20 minutes max. If we're doing a three-plus hour show, we will always take one. It gives the musicians a bio-break, and gives the venue a revenue boost because people usually instinctively head for the bar during a set break. Pro tip: if the band is going to want drinks during the break, pre-order them and pre-pay for them from the bartender, and give them a heads-up on when you will want them. If they can bring them to your Green Room, all the better, but even of they just have them waiting for you at the bar, you won't spend your break in line waiting for a beer.
For a show that's less than three hours, we might take a break if it makes sense. People do tend to leave during breaks at bar gigs, so that's a consideration. I usually ask the manager or bartender whether it's better for them if take a break; in many cases, they have a bar rush at that point and it's a good thing for the venue. The other thing to find out is when they will do last call; that way you can announce it from the stage so people can get in their drink orders. Keep the venue happy and they'll have you back. Have your poop in a group. Show up ready. Be easy to work with. Be appreciative of the staff. Start on time and rock hard. Don't leave a mess behind. At all times, obey Wheaton's Law. Also also also: make sure to remember that young version of yourself, who dreamed of being onstage playing in a band, and give yourself a pat on the back for being that kid's hero.

Attachments

• 2021-06-22 BV Stage Plot.pdf
    29.1 KB · Views: 13
Rule #1: be a professional and be cool. We play gigs because we love music and love playing live. So, be prepared and be capable of rolling with any changes that will occur. We've played so many venues where the staff (owners, bartenders, sound operators, bouncers) have said something like "... we had [insert name of band] the other night and they were SUCH A BUNCH OF #$&^% to deal with...". Your reputation will precede you. When in doubt, refer to Wheaton's Law: don't be a d*ck.

Load in the gear and move everything into place onstage. Before we do anything with final setup / wiring up the amps, we move all of the empty cases from the stage; this makes it a lot easier for everyone to move around. Wire up everything, do a quick functionality test, and then get the heck out of the way. The sound crew will need to place mic stands / mics, and run cables, so make space for them. If you're willing (and knowledgeable), offer to help run cables or place mics.
At some point along this process, you should have encountered the house PA engineer (if they have one). Hand them a printed copy of your stage plot and input list. You have one, of course, right? See attached for simple example. Send this to the club in advance too. They'll probably lose it, which is why you brought along a printed copy. Also also: give the sound engineer a set list, even if you're doing all originals. Annotate that set list with anything that might help them, such as "sax solo" or "I switch to my acoustic guitar on this one".

As a general rule, the timing looks like this:
3 hours before showtime: arrive, load in, set up, make sure things are working, start with line checks from all inputs, then do full band soundcheck
2 hours before showtime: soundcheck is over and it's time for food! Leave yourself enough time to eat before a gig, either bringing something along, or making a quick run to somewhere nearby. If the venue has food, that's great too. They'll likely appreciate the business.
30 minutes before showtime: all band members and crew check in at the Green Room. Even if you don't have a formal "Green Room", decide where you'll all report in, perhaps at a table or something. Leave yourself this cushion of time so that you can relax, warm up, change clothes, and most importantly, relieve any anxiety about "where the heck is that one guy in the band!?".

Our sound checks are usually 20 minutes, but we might run to 30 if we're focusing on something.
Once all the line checks are completed, we start with something that is a fun energetic song. We just do the first verse and chorus, then immediately stop. Anyone wanting an adjustment asks for what they need, and then we re-run that same song, doing just the first verse and chorus. Usually by that point we have a decent stage mix going and can proceed.
We pick songs that represent the breadth of our set list. So each lead vocalist gets one, and we run anything with complex sections. If there are any new songs, or songs where we seem to have rough spots, we might run them.

Two answer for this question...
Once my rig is up and running, I grab a guitar and find somewhere out of the way to warm up. I don't need my amp or effects for this, so I just run scales or parts of songs to get prepared for soundcheck. Getting off the stage is helpful for everyone who is still setting up, and most people find noodling annoying, so avoid doing that unless you are fixing a patch or something. If you need to hear yourself when warming up, bring along headphones.
In the 30 minutes pre-show, I once again find somewhere quiet and do some warming up on a few songs. Just enough to feel comfortable and in the zone. For the last ten minutes before we hit the stage, the band is together in the Green Room. Any last-minute bathroom breaks should be taken care of by this point. That last ten minutes is just for the musicians, and no one else is allowed in the Green Room unless there is some kind of emergency. Those minutes aren't structured as any sort of Zen exercise... they're usually filled with goofy humor and talking about whatever weird TV shows we're watching. It's just because we want a few minutes to get focused on the moment.

I just send a flat signal to FOH. Stage volume is important, and we try to keep our volume level under control. The objective is that you can have a normal-volume conversation with a bandmate onstage without yelling. It's tempting (and fun!) to play loud, but we all know it's ultimately a losing proposition; it's bad for our ears, and it makes the FOH engineer's job harder if the stage volume is super loud. My FRFR usually sits behind me onstage, and once we've set our stage volume during soundcheck, I almost never change it during a show. I have a preset for each song, and they are all volume-leveled across all their scenes, and across all presets. So if I need a solo boost, it's already set in that scene. It takes some repeated runs at practice to finalize those settings. I don't even have a volume pedal onstage. My MIDI control board does have the ability to invoke the AxeFX "boost/cut and save" functions, but it's on a sub-page and I rarely invoke it. I put in the work ahead of the gig to free myself during gigs, so that I can just focus on playing (and making a futile attempt to look cool, which is also a losing proposition).
At this point, most audio engineers have encountered modeling systems for guitar, so they have some idea of what to do with that signal. I just tell them I'm sending them one or two XLR feeds, and that I've already added effects / ambience / equalization to my own taste, but they are the house engineer, and they should make any necessary adjustments at the board to build a good mix. I always ask them after the show if they had to make any changes (especially EQ) at the board; sometimes those are necessary to overcome peculiarities in a specific room, but it could also be that my tone sometimes is muddy or harsh in the context of the entire mix. Ask for feedback from the mixing engineer.

15-20 minutes max. If we're doing a three-plus hour show, we will always take one. It gives the musicians a bio-break, and gives the venue a revenue boost because people usually instinctively head for the bar during a set break. Pro tip: if the band is going to want drinks during the break, pre-order them and pre-pay for them from the bartender, and give them a heads-up on when you will want them. If they can bring them to your Green Room, all the better, but even of they just have them waiting for you at the bar, you won't spend your break in line waiting for a beer.
For a show that's less than three hours, we might take a break if it makes sense. People do tend to leave during breaks at bar gigs, so that's a consideration. I usually ask the manager or bartender whether it's better for them if take a break; in many cases, they have a bar rush at that point and it's a good thing for the venue. The other thing to find out is when they will do last call; that way you can announce it from the stage so people can get in their drink orders. Keep the venue happy and they'll have you back. Have your poop in a group. Show up ready. Be easy to work with. Be appreciative of the staff. Start on time and rock hard. Don't leave a mess behind. At all times, obey Wheaton's Law. Also also also: make sure to remember that young version of yourself, who dreamed of being onstage playing in a band, and give yourself a pat on the back for being that kid's hero.
i think i understand my problem! ....i need a green room! lol

all kidding aside, THANK YOU ALL for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom