Soul Sacrifice

VirgilGuitar

Inspired
After playing guitar for 35 years, I have noticed that I have always been searching for a better tone. I am a guitar teacher, but I spend my off-time recording instrumental guitar music. With the recording, I am always searching for the "Right Tone" - 17 years ago, I broke away from the massive single-FX stompboxes and bought a DigiTech RP 20, I have since used an RP 10, The RP 220 and the Vox Tonelab. I have also used Guitar Rig, I have a Fender CyberTwin amp and other goodies here and there. I had seen the ad for the AXE-FX for a few months in the Guitar World rag, and decided last week to check out thier web site.

For the past 6 days, I started investigating this unit - the first turn-on was the fact that it has a Windows Interface - I know that sounds trivial to this unit, but I am a PC geek as well and adore the fact that I can backup settings onto a CD for future use as well as getting FAR away from small led screens with sub-menus of sub menus.

I next embarked on listening to all the samples on Atomic's web site as well as denizens of YouTube videos, I have read the entire manual and feel as if I own one already. The hefty price tag I feel at this point, is justifiable because of not only the amazing sounds that I have heard, all of the FX options, Amp, Cab & more ear candy, but the ROUTING is what seems to be a big trigger for me - this is an area that this guitarist needs to explore more with my sound, and I think it is one of the final elements that I need in my arsenal. For me, I am thinking that that has ALLOT to do with the tube-like sounds, with this sweet "overflow" of tone that comes out of these.

In the past several years I have dropped some big bucks on my toys, Including a pricey PRS Custom 22 and a Taylor 614CE, but I did NOT buy them for the names or testimonials, I bought them because of the SOUND and PLAYABILITY. I have never spend allot of moolah on effects processors and I feel over the past 6 days that I may have been short-changing myself with this, especially since I am in the middle of my CD project... the one where I have laid down some amazing rhythm tracks to and very little soloing. I feel I am ready for this next big move, but with $150 to my name and a family to feed, I had to turn to desperate measures.

Hopefully someone will buy my 56 Strat relic on Ebay for $2200. If nobody does, then bank robbery may be an option.
Thanks Fractal Audio Systems for making me give you a phenomenal testimonial and I don't even own the Ultra Axe-FX .......yet.

you can plug an ibanez gio into an axe-fx and get the most amazing tone from it. (i have tested this)
so do what ever you have to beg, borrow and steal so long as you get an axe.

wadeo said:
you can plug an ibanez gio into an axe-fx and get the most amazing tone from it. (i have tested this)
so do what ever you have to beg, borrow and steal so long as you get an axe.

Everyone has been treating me like I need a 12-step program over the last few days - I agree. My obsession will probably just have to run it's course until I get it in my home studio. And an Ibanez is next on my list ;)

trust me, i cost money because it saves money,
no more wondering how to get that awesome jazz tone, thundering metal sound, that ohhh sooo sweet clean crispy sound
the axe fx is the only way i know of for me to get the sounds from out of my head and into my ears.

wadeo said:
no more wondering how to get that awesome jazz tone, thundering metal sound, that ohhh sooo sweet clean crispy sound
the axe fx is the only way i know of for me to get the sounds from out of my head and into my ears.

I can only dream.....

OK, So my Strat 56 Relic didn't sell on E-bay... according to some friends, they said since I was a 1st time seller, my chances were not good, so I am now having my friend who is a top-rated seller try and sell it - what a shame, I paid $3995 for that guitar and I am willing to lose almost $2000 just to buy the Axe-FX. Do you guys have some kind of 12 - step meetings here LMAO. Maybe someone at Fractal is looking for a 56 Strat relic and can trade me across the board if it doesn't sell on Ebay over the next 6 days and 22 hours.
:roll:
uggggghhhhhhh

ESP MM-270 said:
VirgilGuitar said:
Hopefully someone will buy my 56 Strat relic on Ebay for $2200.

Don't sell your guitars, sell your amps, cabs, FX and pedals. You wont need them anymore! :)

Hmmmmm, actually, I should sell my pa, since I'm not in a band anymore.... you have me thinking.... I have about 11 guitars, and hardly use them anymore, but I record all of the time and it's my big passion... I may have to think this one out, but the Strat relic is on Ebay again, so I have 6 days before the next crazy decision LOL

So nobody ever bought the 56 strat relic, so I ended up trading it for an Ibanez RG770 and have been shredding away ever since (And I don't even know how to shred.) My whole point in trying to sell the darn thing was to get money together to buy an Axe-FX Ultra, but hey, I have done crazier things in the past, so the latest word is I'm selling one of my businesses and also have a pretty nice income tax refund coming in soon, so I should be joining the ranks(In getting the Ultra), if I have enough left over, I have been eyeballing the MusicMan John Petrucci guitar as well....any owners of that guitar out there? AxeFX Ultra is the top priority now ((((((((Insert Drum Roll Here))))))))))))))

I had a JPX for 5 days and returned it to Guitar Center. Don't get me wrong: it is an excellent guitar, but overpriced in my opinion.

Wizard9 said:
I had a JPX for 5 days and returned it to Guitar Center. Don't get me wrong: it is an excellent guitar, but overpriced in my opinion.

I need to go down to GC and try it out and really see if it's up to my standards - I am extremely happy with my PRS Custom 22 for most of my guitar work, but I am still in search of a good guitar with a tremelo - the Edge Trem on this new Ibanez RG770 requires lots of attention (Like past relationships I been in LMAO) I hate to sound stupid, but money has never been a big object to me when it comes to feel and sound - if something really "fits" and sounds great, then I will normally purchase it.

Why did you return it?

Virgil, sell even more stuff and get in line for a Tyler Variax. Should be just the thing to go with your future Axe :D Check out some of the threads about it on TGP.

VirgilGuitar said:
wadeo said:

Do you guys have some kind of 12 - step meetings here LMAO.
uggggghhhhhhh
Yes I believe its $200 a step…which when you finish the program you are rewarded with an AxeFx. :lol:

@ jlbaxe
The countdown is 8 days hopefully before unkel sam wirez da tax refund - so does this make my ultra a "Government Issue"? :lol: LMAO

VirgilGuitar said:
@ jlbaxe
The countdown is 8 days hopefully before unkel sam wirez da tax refund - so does this make my ultra a "Government Issue"? :lol: LMAO
I am kicking money over to my Paypal like a savings acct to save up for it. Hopefully within a month I can have an Ultra. I have been doing the same as you, reading and watching youtube vids. Cant wait.

jlbaxe said:
VirgilGuitar said:
@ jlbaxe
I am kicking money over to my Paypal like a savings acct to save up for it. Hopefully within a month I can have an Ultra. I have been doing the same as you, reading and watching youtube vids. Cant wait.

Ha! Glad I'm not the only one out here - I am keeping some side stash for another guitar... the tax refund goes to the Ultra!- keep in mind that you cannot purchase from Fractal with PayPal!- yeah, I have spent a fortune on guitars over the years and getting closer to what I really want, feel & tone-wise, but I skimped on the sound with sub-standard FX/boxes. Don't get me wrong, I have liked my ToneLab desk amp w/12AX7, but not only do the sounds fall short at times when I am trying to dial them in, but it always likes to pick up these amateur radio guys in my neighborhood, especially while I am teaching guitar. So in the process of looking at other amp sims/fx units I saw the ad in Guitar World for the AxeFX and I spent days of research looking at these things. There are some lame sounds out there, but for the most part, I heard some excellent samples of what the unit can do. I have a feeling the possibilities of getting tone out of this unit will be almost infinite, specially finding out about IR's over this weekend! Hopefully, it will be the last unit I have to get for this kind of application for a while. Good luck to you and hope you get it sooner than you expect!

7 days left before ordering............

Back
Top Bottom