Songs & Sets Setup with MFC-Edit

msbrown66

I have edited my SysEx and sent it back to the MFC-101. However, I can't punch in my songs with MFC-101. Is this because the Preset being called has to be within the 1 to 384 range?

The simplest solution is to use Axe-Edit to move the presets to a lower bank. This is something that has been discussed at length in the forum, and while there are other approaches, this is the least bothersome. Ideally, the AxeFX would default to reserving Banks A and B for user presets, and have all the factory presets in higher locations. But the best current approach is to store your presets below preset #384.

What I do : move factory presets out of positions 200 - 350 by either copying them elsewhere, or just deleting them entirely (you can always reload them if you want to). Then I use #200 - 300 for my primary band, and #300-350 as general-purpose patches for my other bands. I don't actually have 150 patches in current rotation; I just like having that much space available for A/B tweaking and experimentation. The MFC-101 can readily access those patches, and I can build Set Lists from them.

I have edited my SysEx and sent it back to the MFC-101. However, I can't punch in my songs with MFC-101. Is this because the Preset being called has to be within the 1 to 384 range?

Correct. and +1 what Sleestak said :)

Correct. and +1 what Sleestak said :)
bwanagary, do you know if it is possible to specify where the factory preset banks go when they're installed? Ideally, I'd just want to reserve bank A for my use, and always install the factory presets to B, C, and D.

Or is there a simple way to communicate with Axe-Manage API to perform a scripted action? Such as (1) move my presets from bank A to bank D (2) install the new factory preset banks to A, B, and C (3) swap the locations of banks in this order : A<->D , C<->D , B <-> C

Or (riskier, but probably do-able) can we just write a pair of little scripts that edit the sysex backup file to achieve steps 1 and 3 above?

bwanagary, do you know if it is possible to specify where the factory preset banks go when they're installed? Ideally, I'd just want to reserve bank A for my use, and always install the factory presets to B, C, and D.

Or is there a simple way to communicate with Axe-Manage API to perform a scripted action? Such as (1) move my presets from bank A to bank D (2) install the new factory preset banks to A, B, and C (3) swap the locations of banks in this order : A<->D , C<->D , B <-> C

Or (riskier, but probably do-able) can we just write a pair of little scripts that edit the sysex backup file to achieve steps 1 and 3 above?

When you use F'Bot to send the bank to the Axe-Fx it will ask you which bank you want to send it to. So you can choose which Bank to overwrite in the Axe-Fx. I think that's what you're asking, right? So for example you may want to send the factory presets 1-384 to the Axe-Fx, you can tell F'Bot to send them to Bank 'C' for example.

When you use F'Bot to send the bank to the Axe-Fx it will ask you which bank you want to send it to. So you can choose which Bank to overwrite in the Axe-Fx. I think that's what you're asking, right? So for example you may want to send the factory presets 1-384 to the Axe-Fx, you can tell F'Bot to send them to Bank 'C' for example.
Aha! Yes, that's what I'm asking. I usually just click "yeah, whatever" when Fractal Bot wants to do anything because I don't want to anger it and be the guy who caused Skynet to become self-aware. :)

So, perhaps I will pay a little attention to that next time it's loading the presets, and tell it to put those presets in another bank. Thanks for the info!

Aha! Yes, that's what I'm asking. I usually just click "yeah, whatever" when Fractal Bot wants to do anything because I don't want to anger it and be the guy who caused Skynet to become self-aware. :)

So, perhaps I will pay a little attention to that next time it's loading the presets, and tell it to put those presets in another bank. Thanks for the info!

lol. I know *exactly* how you feel :). Choosing anything but the "default" options with almost any software at all will invariably dump on your life.

Shouldn't you be able to midi map any preset in the Axe to any of the 384 available locations on the MFC? For example... map Axe preset 400 to MFC 1. Then when you press #1 on the MFC preset #400 is recalled? That's how I've done it in the past with other switching systems controlled with an all-access type midi controller like the MFC.

Sure, you can do that. However, if your MFC-101 -> Axe-Fx Preset mapping isn't one-to-one how will you remember what each of the 384 MFC-101 Presets point to in the Axe-Fx? They could point to any one of the 768 presets in the Axe-Fx and you're never going to remember them. Song mode and Set modes in the MFC-101 can help a lot in this regard because you're just selecting a Song by it's name in the MFC-101 and you assign it the Axe-Fx preset # to select when you select that song.

Using straight Preset mode and the Axe-Fx Preset Transmit Map is not really a practical way to do this. It's okay for a couple of presets if you really need it and there's no other way. Long term though it's a maintenance headache.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think I'd ever come anywhere close to needing or using 384 press in a live situation, and wouldn't likely need the MFC in a recording situation. But I'm a rookie when it comes to the Fractal system and I'm learning as I go. When I've done this in the past with other programmable switchers, I just created a worksheet that contained the preset number, where it was mapped, and which F/X were being used... that way I didn't have to worry about forgetting. I think mapping 5 presets in "Scene" mode would give me access to a minimum of 25 total presets and the ability to use IA switches at any point. That should be more than I'd need in a live situation for what I'm doing. It's nice to know there are options and different ways to do this though!

Switching scenes can change your sound, and I use them extensively, but scenes are intra-preset - within a single Preset. So you get 2 amp blocks and 2 cab blocks, for instance. Only by switching Presets can you get more amps blocks etc. But, as you say, there are many ways to skin this cat and anyone can find the way that works best for them. I probably use about 25 presets at a show. But then I'm in a cover band and have to get so many different signature sounds from so many different artists.

Back
Top Bottom