Songs and Setlists

bkrodgers

Inspired
Since the FC series will be more of a thin client, with the AIII handling the programming, will the Axe have any ability to organize presets into Songs or Setlists? It sounds like Songs may be less important given the ability to have so much more in a single preset, but it still might be useful to have both layers. But I'm hoping to be able to easily throw together setlists of presets.

Some nice touches while I'm asking:
- Ability to do it on the fly from the front panel, perhaps even as a "throwaway" setlist. I play at church and I don't know what presets I'll use, or in what order, until I get there. It'd be nice to just be able to quickly scroll through and hit a button on each preset I need to build a setlist I'll use right then, but I'd only need it for that week's mass. It'd still be good to have it written to memory in case I lose power, but I'd just overwrite it each week. Of course I'd expect this could be useful for cover bands and even original bands that vary their setlists each night.
- Ideally it'd also allow for repeating presets within the setlist. Again in the church scenario, I often come back to a basic clean preset several times, switching to more specialized presets for some songs. It'd be nice to be able to repeat them so I can just keep moving forward instead of jumping around.

I like that idea.
I had an RJM Mastermind and I loved the ability to program set lists etc.
For my gigs, I go in and manually move song presets in different orders, so I guess it's similar in that regard, but it would be nice to be able to map things out like that accordingly with greater ease.

I hate having duplicate presets for different songs, and although MFC has song mode, it’s not implemented very well, unfortunately.

So yeah, an improvement is needed badly.

This would be a great feature. In my last band we pretty much stuck to playlists, but I HATED having to insert or move presets around - took too long and there was no easy way to insert a new patch - had to either delete them all or attempt to move in chunks. Presets Manager was ok in Edit, but there must be an easier way?

i would suggest something 3rd party, made for this kind of thing. i use the app BandHelper (SetListMaker is the stand-alone version). easily create multiple shows. add songs to setlists, easily edit them or duplicate for quick editing. you'll need to spend some time adding the MIDI messages to each song, but once you do, just opening the song will send Preset Changes and other MIDI date out to the devices you setup.

maybe the FAS stuff will have this at some point, maybe not. but i think a separate manager for this is much better and robust.

On the Helix HX Edit allows you to grab a preset and move it anywhere. The way the patches are set up though are in 5 groups. So I use one group as a setlist. Makes it super easy to move presets around. I had thought Axe Edit III will be able to do this as I remember it from the old Axe Edit. The Preset Manager is just not implemented yet. The only difference is that the Axe Fx III doesn't group its presets right? In that case, I would just use the first 128 locations.

i would suggest something 3rd party, made for this kind of thing. i use the app BandHelper (SetListMaker is the stand-alone version). easily create multiple shows. add songs to setlists, easily edit them or duplicate for quick editing. you'll need to spend some time adding the MIDI messages to each song, but once you do, just opening the song will send Preset Changes and other MIDI date out to the devices you setup.

maybe the FAS stuff will have this at some point, maybe not. but i think a separate manager for this is much better and robust.

Robust, sure. There are lots of good reasons why people integrate an iPad into a live flow (this, lyric/chord sheets, etc). But right now I haven't done that, and I'm not really feeling a strong need to do so. While it wouldn't match what you can do with something like what you describe, I still think having some setlist features in the Axe itself would be very useful. Most MIDI controllers have this (RJM, FAMC, and the old MFC), and since the FC relies on the Axe for its features, that functionality would need to be in the Axe.

Back
Top Bottom