Something's amiss and seems to be devolving

Øutsider

Inspired
So, playing along to a track last night. About halfway through the song, I'm playing pretty loud, but I notice the punch, depth and thickness seems to be suddenly missing from my Axe FX III. I stop playing. Shut down the song. I assumed it was some sort of ear fatigue. Which occasionally happens to me after playing really loud for quite a while. (Never sounding as bad as it does currently though) I turn the music back on...that sounds fine. Full & rich, as it should. So, at this point I'm pretty sure it isn't my ears. I turn it [the music] back off and play the guitar again...tone still sounds thin. I try a different guitar. (Went from a Charvel with a JB to a LP Studio with a 498T) Still sounds thin & weak. I'm tired and assume I'm hearing things. Figure I'll deal with it tomorrow (today).

Tonight. Get home from work. Plug in, tune, turn up...it's progressively getting worse. Not quite A.M. radio, but heading that direction. Reverb sounds like it's in a cavern, no matter what type I use. Shut the reverb or other effects off and the amp dry sound sounds awful. Like some $50 multi effects processor from the 90's.

So far, I've tried:

Multiple presets.
Multiple different guitars.
Changing cab IR's.
Bypassing the wireless by using a cable.
Switching from Input 1 to 2 and then back again.
Swapping the FRFR for the one I used to keep at the rehearsal space.
Re-seating and checking all connections.
Finally...resetting the system parameters.

So far, nothing has fixed the issue and it seems to be slowly getting worse. My worry is, I feel like one of the processors may have taken a dump.

Anyone have any ideas or experience something like this? I could swear I recall seeing a similarly titled thread recently, but can't remember the way it was worded. Subsequently, I'm unable to find it. Or...I'm maybe I'm misremembering.

Can you post a short recording?
I haven't tried putting it through the DAW I guess. I'm also not sure what I'm describing is going to come across well if I record on the cell phone. At this point, the tone actually already sounds like it's coming out of a phone speaker. I can make an attempt. Just not sure how much it'll go towards showing the issue. Give me a minute.

Working on uploading the video now. Forgive me for it being in portrait mode. It was just the easiest method to get the camera phone to sit right.

In the video, I switch between 4 different reverbs and they don't change at all anymore. All of them sound exactly the same.

Also, now, I don't even get tone if I bypass the reverb block. Almost like it just shunts the output. That didn't happen 15-20 minutes ago either.

Sounds like something is misconfigured in the preset. Possibly a rogue modifier that is assigned somewhere. Or a pedal that isn’t quite initialized properly or partially plugged in, etc.

Working on uploading the video now. Forgive me for it being in portrait mode. It was just the easiest method to get the camera phone to sit right.

In the video, I switch between 4 different reverbs and they don't change at all anymore. All of them sound exactly the same.

Also, now, I don't even get tone if I bypass the reverb block. Almost like it just shunts the output. That didn't happen 15-20 minutes ago either.

Any chance you have selected "Mute In" or "Mute Out" as Bypass Mode on the Reverb Block. (On Axe Edit, Bottom Right Corner on the Reverb Block)

1613925785278.png

The cab being used here is the 4x12 Brit BB 121 ML with the LC set@ 85 Hz and the HC set@14000 Hz.

I know you've tried RESET SYSTEM PARAMETERS. Could you please try a fresh factory preset? Having you check in headphones could also be helpful.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot in a bit here.

Attachments

• 459_Syke! WIP.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 7
anything change when you bypass the gate?
Other than the expected hiss, no tonal changes.

Would be weird that the preset changed mid play (when everything went awry) I would think. But, I've seen weirder things happen I suppose. That I can tell, I'm not seeing any changes to what it I remember it looking like last time I did any tweaks to it.

I'm going to give what Matt suggested and import a clean factory preset to see what that sounds like.

Last edited:
The preset seems to act as intended here. There are a few things that are causing audible issues when changing scenes that could be corrected, but no issues with the Reverb block here?

Anything (midi) connected to your unit that could be sending any changes?
Any Global 'mix' parameters changed?

So, have tried a fresh factory preset. The Brit 800. Made zero adjustments to it at first. Then tried making adjustments to the cabs.

Also tried a new XLR cable. I'm only using 1 FRFR cab. As I say, I've tried 2 different cabs (1 at a time, but both Headrush 112's)

Also tried switching from the L to R XLR output and tried adjusting the L/R balance in the cabs to see if it made any change.

The bottom end is just gone. The depth & rich, full sound just seems to have vanished. The weird cavernous reverb effect that randomly occurred the other night seems to have disappeared mostly, but still shows up on some presets.

There also seems to be a lot of residual noise / artifacting that even the gate or gates are having a hard time controlling as well.

• The 'High Cut' in the Preamp tab of the Cab block is set to 3011 Hz. Seams pretty low?
  • 'Air' parameter at 3%. Intentional?
  • Have you checked your 'Global EQ'?

• The 'High Cut' in the Preamp tab of the Cab block is set to 3011 Hz. Seams pretty low?
  • 'Air' parameter at 3%. Intentional?
  • Have you checked your 'Global EQ'?
Weird. I don't remember setting the HC in the preamp block like that. I'll see if adjusting it helps anything.

Good chance the air parameter was me monkeying with it at one time just to see what it did and never setting it back.

I haven't looked at the global EQ, no. I'll take a look and report back.

So, playing along to a track last night. About halfway through the song, I'm playing pretty loud, but I notice the punch, depth and thickness seems to be suddenly missing from my Axe FX III. I stop playing. Shut down the song. I assumed it was some sort of ear fatigue. Which occasionally happens to me after playing really loud for quite a while. (Never sounding as bad as it does currently though) I turn the music back on...that sounds fine. Full & rich, as it should. So, at this point I'm pretty sure it isn't my ears. I turn it [the music] back off and play the guitar again...tone still sounds thin. I try a different guitar. (Went from a Charvel with a JB to a LP Studio with a 498T) Still sounds thin & weak. I'm tired and assume I'm hearing things. Figure I'll deal with it tomorrow (today).

Tonight. Get home from work. Plug in, tune, turn up...it's progressively getting worse. Not quite A.M. radio, but heading that direction. Reverb sounds like it's in a cavern, no matter what type I use. Shut the reverb or other effects off and the amp dry sound sounds awful. Like some $50 multi effects processor from the 90's.

So far, I've tried:

Multiple presets.
Multiple different guitars.
Changing cab IR's.
Bypassing the wireless by using a cable.
Switching from Input 1 to 2 and then back again.
Swapping the FRFR for the one I used to keep at the rehearsal space.
Re-seating and checking all connections.
Finally...resetting the system parameters.

So far, nothing has fixed the issue and it seems to be slowly getting worse. My worry is, I feel like one of the processors may have taken a dump.

Anyone have any ideas or experience something like this? I could swear I recall seeing a similarly titled thread recently, but can't remember the way it was worded. Subsequently, I'm unable to find it. Or...I'm maybe I'm misremembering.
Had the same thing happen. Tried everything. Then I realized my cable to the guitar was not all the way pressed into the cable jack. It was like 1/32" from being plugged in and it had same effect.

Did you try headphones? Also try input one in the back. I had similar issue and the front input jack ribbon cable was loose inside. Back jack is also input 1.

Back
Top Bottom