Something to ponder while we wait...

tcvans

Inspired
Something to ponder while we wait for v10 and/or AE.

*** this may get a little wordy.

I've borrowed my entire rig to an absolute "Tube Guy" and true tone chaser. Over the past 15+ yrs he's only used tube heads. He's had Splawn, Marshall, Mesa, Carvin, Engl, Peavey, and a number of boutique amps. For a couple of years he's heard my rig and liked it, but his ears always saw the wrong form factor.

About 6 weeks ago, I started to remodel my practice area and lent him my Ultra, II, MFC, and my ME expression pedals. On Saturday, he'll run all Axe. One out to a power amp and the other to FOH. Needless to say, he's hooked!

Anyway, I spend a fair amount of time reading different posts on this forum as well as others. There's so much bickering and praise and support and beat-downs that it had me thinking.
It's a testament to the Axe that it is constantly compared to a "real" tube amp. The Kemper? kinda, and Line 6? LOL.....

And for all us that came from tubes and stomp boxes to this modeler? Lets not forget that we also compared tube amps to tube amps based on tone, attack, feel, ect.

For myself, I found different tube amps not only sounded different, but played or felt or reacted differently to my technique. If I found a "sound" that inspired me? I adapted to the amp.
It was a pleasure to watch and hear my friend do those same kind of things. It was pure exploration and a devotion to detail.

regarding the "Brit Brown"
Which, perhaps ironically, is not based on a any specific amp.

It seems Cliff is implying that the "Brit Brown" is based on a "sound", not an amp.

Hmmmmm. Is the Axe perfect? Maybe, Maybe not. The A-B previews offer a chess match with us guessing which is live and what is Memorex.

All these negotiable attributes constantly up for discussion. I'd bet that if Fractal created a fake tube head with unwired transformers, LED lit valves, SS power source, and powered by his DSP and mojo, People would start saying, "Man, the Axe is cool and all, but these new Fractal Tube amps kick ass!"

I'm thankful my friend, even though he's in "tweaking heaven" right now, was able to hear past the heavy glowing box and is really enjoying the sonic capabilities and freedom of the Axe.
He, being so steadfast to tube amps, is seriously planning to purchase an Axe. And though it shouldn't, I feel that this somehow validates my decision to leave my tube heads behind.

I'm really looking forward to Saturday night. Though I've heard the Ultra, I haven't yet heard the II from FOH.

OK, my senseless ramble is done. Carry on. ;)

Manual p.41 - Brit Brown “The Brown Sound” A faithful recreation of the legendary “Brown Sound” —The modded “#1” Marshall®.

I'm not sure about the "fluff", but I don't think EVH gave up his Marshall to get modeled or measured as other amps have been.

The purpose of my rant/review was to point out a "tone chaser's" perception. Meaning, that once some of us are able to look past the form factor of what an amp should be, we may be able to hear what an amp can be.

My buddy seems to consistently achieve descent tone regardless of amp choice. He's been fickle and slightly close minded about signal processing. He's messed with my rig before, and for his own reasons, he hasn't bought in into this until now.
His "test" tomorrow night will be about mix and cut while facing off with a vintage Marshall on the other side of the stage.

Everyone in my circle is impressed with what I'm able to get out of my rig. For them, it comes down to cost.
But there are these two guys, one who until now, refused to look at processing as a viable alternative.

Disclaimer: I do very little recording. My opinions on "sound" or "capabilities" are based on "weekend warriors" doing rock covers in live situations.

I don't know what Chase was refering to with that statement. I asked for an explanation yesterday and got nothing. Words mean things. And the description was printed as accurate. Matt wrote the book I think, so maybe those are his words. That kind of grey erea can fester into a destructive cancer.

The Brit brown is a great preset, and I think it is close to VH 1 tone.

Your friend's tone is coming mainly from his fingers.

I appreciate your well thought out post, and look forward to reading more from you.

Last edited:
The Brit Brown is not tone matched to Eddie's no1. Cliff made this after how he thinks it Sounds like.

Most amps was made and based off tech prints in the beginning. Then he started to buy amps to get them right.

Last edited:
Not to speak for CC, he can do that himself, but Eddie's amp was Marshall in origin, Frankensteined to the point of regularly burning up, and damned glorious in all it's duct-taped splendor. Perhaps the comment meant only there is no amp you could buy to get that sound because Marshall's don't come all Variac-ed and hot wired like that one. You know, it wasn't any specific stock amp, but was the sound of a one Brit amp after a serious hacking and deemed to sound brown by Dr Frankenhalen.

Not to speak for CC, he can do that himself, but Eddie's amp was Marshall in origin, Frankensteined to the point of regularly burning up, and damned glorious in all it's duct-taped splendor. Perhaps the comment meant only there is no amp you could buy to get that sound because Marshall's don't come all Variac-ed and hot wired like that one. You know, it wasn't any specific stock amp, but was the sound of a one Brit amp after a serious hacking and deemed to sound brown by Dr Frankenhalen.

This. Thanks Rick

UPDATE: AXE-FX II vs Vintage Marshall... AXE WINS!. Actually, both amps played well together. Everything from FOH sounded great. Needless to say, he has a few adjustments to make, but he's hooked. He's only a few hundred away from joining this fraternity.

376413_10151248089083495_678540572_n.jpg

I'm coming into all this from a different direction: I've never owned or played an actual tube amp--only solid states and/or rack effects (ZOOM, Line 6, Digitech, etc).

I know I've heard tube amps many times--live as well as recorded--but they're otherwise completely unfamiliar to me. This may sound odd, but one of the (many) reasons I'm looking forward to my Axe Fx II is because I feel like I'll finally get to hear and play tube amps. I know, I know, it's still not the REAL thing... but it's as close as I'll probably ever get, and I'm excited about that.

My Axe Fx II will be arriving this Thursday... after a couple years of dreaming about one and saving my dough.

I'm coming into all this from a different direction: I've never owned or played an actual tube amp--only solid states and/or rack effects (ZOOM, Line 6, Digitech, etc).

I know I've heard tube amps many times--live as well as recorded--but they're otherwise completely unfamiliar to me. This may sound odd, but one of the (many) reasons I'm looking forward to my Axe Fx II is because I feel like I'll finally get to hear and play tube amps. I know, I know, it's still not the REAL thing... but it's as close as I'll probably ever get, and I'm excited about that.

My Axe Fx II will be arriving this Thursday... after a couple years of dreaming about one and saving my dough.

Well come Thursday, your family and friends will probably wonder what the hell happened to you haha!

Tube amps are fantastic from the traditional vintage appeal/sound. I would go with a tube amp if I was a one trick pony and only playing a specific style of music. The Axe FX provides you with the means to play many genres of music, have effects, and just plain experiment all with tonal precision. It's really like having a room full of tube amps in a box (or as close as you'll get). Awhile back, before Fractal, I wouldn't of solely used any sort of amp simulation as a means to 'replace' an amp of any type. Technology has come far enough that you can these days and the Axe FX II is the bleeding edge. It's really a no-brainer! And with the use of Scenes, you can basically take an amp and have different settings of that particular amp in one patch.

Guaranteed you will find all this out once you get the Axe FX. Hands down best piece of audio equipment I've ever invested in!

Welcome to the axefx.. It's an amazing piece of amazing :) I love playing it with just basic drive-amp-cab. It sounds great

Back
Top Bottom