Something fishy with Q6.02 Drive Clip Type

I'm all for accurate values. 1- the choices we have are staggering if I need to dial in a tone quickly I like having the confidence of knowing when I select a 5150 it's going to be like my real world unit that I know well...
2-There is the fantasy aspect of the AF2 for me. I'll never play through a cranked Plexi, a Diezel or a Mark II C+ (same goes for many of the FX in the AF2) but I love knowing that I can pull it up and get as close as possible to the tone and feel of the real thing.

So if Cliff modeled an amp, or created an idealized virtual amp, and called it the "craptone 2000", and it simply sounded amazing, your ideal tone, you'd still rather use a model that was based off a real world amp because of the name/reputation/cost fulfilling your fantasy ?

A forum like this one plays the dual roles of a discussion forum and a Q&A forum. I feel like the following guideline would ameliorate many of the silly arguments that arise here:

If a poster actually asks a question, then answer it if you can and stay out of it if you cannot.

In particular, resist the temptation to question the poster's motives or to suggest that (s)he is asking the wrong question or to suggest that the question is irrelevant because we should only be paying attention to how things sound, etc.

So if Cliff modeled an amp, or created an idealized virtual amp, and called it the "craptone 2000", and it simply sounded amazing, your ideal tone, you'd still rather use a model that was based off a real world amp because of the name/reputation/cost fulfilling your fantasy ?

Tone is truly a personal thing.

And as all of us here know, us guitar players are a bunch of highly-opinionated picky bastards! :)

Tone is truly a personal thing.

And as all of us here know, us guitar players are a bunch of highly-opinionated picky bastards! :)
I want one of those craptones to go with my Doodycaster.

For me, yea sometimes. Like if I just wanna jam out some Kiss, I'm gonna go to the Plexi with 6550's cause that's what Ace used, or a Mark II C + to rock some Metallica etc... If I'm doing some tracking for someone who really wants the guitars to have a tone like "X" or really likes a Dual Recto tone, it's good to know if I pull up "that" model the tone is going be authentic, it's also more efficient for me. I know it's all different strokes so as much as I value the "fantasy" aspect of the AF2, to others I know it may seem silly or useless. I don't understand though what the down side of have the starting point of the blocks be as authentic as possible, and let us find what we think works best from there. I know that most things can always be improved but to me, those iconic amps, pedals etc are iconic for a reason.

So am I to understand that the Zen Master drive was wrong previously, when it defaulted to variable clip type? It now defaults to silicon. I know, I know...you just said 6.02 is correct. But I'm curious about the change.

I would assume that previously the variable clip type was required to get the clip shape correct but with the changes to the silicon modeling algorithm, it's probably more correct now. Sometimes I feel sorry for Cliff the way people obsess over the smaller minutia. All I know is the presets I use the Zen in for leads all sounded glorious and now they still sound glorious, possibly even more glorious.

So am I to understand that the Zen Master drive was wrong previously, when it defaulted to variable clip type? It now defaults to silicon. I know, I know...you just said 6.02 is correct. But I'm curious about the change.
if he just said they are correct for 6.2 why reask the question? Per the chart only one of the drives are currently using variable and none using SI. I think the post right below yours nails it. Variable looks like a wild card and as Cliff is nailing down the clip types variable is all but gone and as I said above SI is currently gone too (which I found interesting)

Last edited:
if he just said they are correct for 6.2 why reask the question? Per the chart only one of the drives are currently using variable and none using SI. I think the post right below yours nails it. Variable looks like a wild card and as Cliff is nailing down the clip types variable is all but gone and as I said above SI is currently gone too (which I found interesting
I was wondering the same thing... And I also had the same suspicion.

It's a curiosity thing for me. One thing I noted is that all the ones that were Variable had Clip Shape set to 5.

A forum like this one plays the dual roles of a discussion forum and a Q&A forum. I feel like the following guideline would ameliorate many of the silly arguments that arise here:

If a poster actually asks a question, then answer it if you can and stay out of it if you cannot.

In particular, resist the temptation to question the poster's motives or to suggest that (s)he is asking the wrong question or to suggest that the question is irrelevant because we should only be paying attention to how things sound, etc.
Since I can't like this more than once, I'll reply instead.

This should be forum etiquette 101! Thanks for posting. I notice this from certain forum members in the majority of their posts.

Back
Top Bottom