Somehow arcane MIDI issues

j20056

New AxeFX-III user here. I use my AxeFX-III as part of a rig that includes a FocusRite Clarett+8Pre (which also provides a MIDI interface via USB connection to my computer), a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI floorboard and an Eventide H9000R. The AxeFX-III is connected to the MIDI chain via regular MIDI cables which also connects the FCB1010 and the H9000R. I want to program the FCB1010 to control all presets for both the AxeFX and the Eventide. I have done this before successfully with a Mesa TriAxis instead of the AxeFX.

I have two MIDI issues:
1. MIDI Ports: From Axe-Edit III, I do: Settings / Preferences then I try to set the Input and Output ports to FocusRite USB MIDI In /Out. While it appears to work (the Connected green check mark is still on in top left of AxeEdit), the preset disappear and as I try to reload it, I get "Please wait...Communicating" then AxeEdit III crashes. I realize there is a default value of Axe-Fx MIDI In / Out port selection, and the FCB1010 appears to be able to control the AF3 as I do this, but is this the "normal" or required way to proceed?
2. The FCB1010 only has two expression pedals and I need more. In my prior setup, I was able to use a device by DoreMidi which allows two expression pedals to be connected to my computer via a new USB MIDI port, which in turn my device was able to use, as it could use multiple USB MIDI ports. Here, ythe AxeFX appears to only be able to use one MIDI connection. So how can I create an external device that would receive expression MIDI data from the DoReMidi in addition to #1 above. The DoReMidi appears to also have a conventional MIDI output (a 3.5mm connector that would need some adapter for regular MIDI) so I suppose I could do that and insert it in my MIDI loop. But any other suggestion to avoid that would be appreciated.

1. MIDI Ports: From Axe-Edit III, I do: Settings / Preferences then I try to set the Input and Output ports to FocusRite USB MIDI In /Out. While it appears to work (the Connected green check mark is still on in top left of AxeEdit), the preset disappear and as I try to reload it, I get "Please wait...Communicating" then AxeEdit III crashes. I realize there is a default value of Axe-Fx MIDI In / Out port selection, and the FCB1010 appears to be able to control the AF3 as I do this, but is this the "normal" or required way to proceed?
this is for communication from the Axe to the Editor. it is not for controlling any other devices. the Axe3 requires the USB connection for editing, that's why presets are disappearing.

There are midi settings on the hardware. As Chris says, the ones you are trying to change are only for connectivity for between the hardware and the editor.

The Axe Fx will operate on incoming midi over USB as well as the midi in DIN jack.

You need to make sure to set the midi channel on the Axe Fx and then make sure the controller(s) are sending the midi intended for it on that channel.

You'll also need to visit the various pages of the Midi/Remote menus to assign CCs for the things you're trying to control.

New AxeFX-III user here. I use my AxeFX-III as part of a rig that includes a FocusRite Clarett+8Pre (which also provides a MIDI interface via USB connection to my computer), a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI floorboard and an Eventide H9000R. The AxeFX-III is connected to the MIDI chain via regular MIDI cables which also connects the FCB1010 and the H9000R. I want to program the FCB1010 to control all presets for both the AxeFX and the Eventide. I have done this before successfully with a Mesa TriAxis instead of the AxeFX.

I have two MIDI issues:

It's theoretically possible to connect Axe-Edit to the Axe-FX/FM* over MIDI DIN, but it has never worked very well for me. It just leads to problems like you're seeing. Use USB instead...that's how it's intended to work. This begs the question of why Axe-Edit allows you to choose those unusable MIDI ports?

2. The FCB1010 only has two expression pedals and I need more. In my prior setup, I was able to use a device by DoreMidi which allows two expression pedals to be connected to my computer via a new USB MIDI port, which in turn my device was able to use, as it could use multiple USB MIDI ports. Here, ythe AxeFX appears to only be able to use one MIDI connection. So how can I create an external device that would receive expression MIDI data from the DoReMidi in addition to #1 above. The DoReMidi appears to also have a conventional MIDI output (a 3.5mm connector that would need some adapter for regular MIDI) so I suppose I could do that and insert it in my MIDI loop. But any other suggestion to avoid that would be appreciated.

The answer to number 2 is basically the same as the answer to number 1. Connect your computer to your Axe-FX with USB, not via the Focusrite. Once you do that, you can use an app, for example a DAW, to echo the input from the DoReMidi back out to that USB midi port, and from there to control the Axe-FX/FM*.

Got it to work. On #1, using the default AxeFX MIDI ports still receives the MIDI from the FCB1010 connected as described. On #2, I used the standard MIDI (via MIDI Merge adapter) into the MIDI chain and the pedals are now seen by the AxeFX. I do need the AxeFX connected to the FocusRite via USB-C as I am on Windows which doesn't allow aggregate audio devices like Mac does. I'm good now thanks for the responses.

Sorry meant SPDIF. Got the USB connection as well as I suppose that’s needed for AxEdit to work

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom