Somebody said I'd be back

Have several. Here goes:

1) Yamaha EMX512SC powered 12-channel mixer + two BR12M passive monitors/mains (this was my first decent PA system) with two DBR10 powered speakers which I use as monitors;

2) Mackie ProFX16V2 16 -channel mixer, or a Behringer XR18 18-channel digital wireless mixer (which I literally just bought and am still playing with), driving two Yamaha DXR12 mains, and again use the DBR10s for monitors.

FWIW, for my Fractal, I typically use either a DXR10 with the Fractal for larger spaces, as well as a Quilter Tone Block 200 into a 1x12 cab loaded with a Eminence Beta 12LTA when I want to use an amp (or need to use the DXR10 as a third monitor). On occasion, for really small places where I am not using my PA, or for rehearsals, I might use a DBR10 for the Fractal.

I use the EMX512 system for smaller gigs, and move to the Mackie (or the Behringer, as it is evolving) and the DXR12s for larger venues. Usually when I play even larger gigs, there is a sound system provided by the host. Although I did play an acoustic guitar duo gig with the DXR10 as the main and a DBR10 for a monitor.

IMHO the small Mackie mixer and a couple DXR10s as mains might work well for what you are trying to do. And, two DBR10s for monitors will cost you about as much as a good IEM system, but entirely up to you, I have IEMs as well and do use them on occasion.

I gotta say that the Behringer digital wireless mixer has a HUGE bang for the buck, sounds great, lots of features, and the wifi seems pretty robust, contrary to some of the reviews. I can always get an external router if it proves problematic, they're cheap. Will start gigging with it in a few weeks when I get a little more familiar with it. And the Yamaha & Mackie stuff takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin!
WOW- I like the customization u have for certain gig types! So I want to get atleast a set of 12" speakers- so will check out the DXR12- How about a SUB? Needed u think? So when using Fractal- you always MIC up your FRFR cab? Its better than direct into PA? Lastly- you use a Furman power conditioner? Whats a good travel Rack Box?

Can someone describe for me the difference between FW16 and the current FW? What has changed for you aside from all the lingo you hear on the web. How does it make YOU "feel"? Lol. I've been playing a friedman smallbox thru a friedman 4x12. I hope I can leave it in my basement.
I played country & classic rock with a mesa studio pre / mesa 50/50 rig for over a decade. Sometimes with a mic'd cab & sometimes into a Palmer-PDI-03 routed direct to FOH. As a player, I was happy with the tone & feel of both of these options (on it's good nights the mic had the edge but the palmer was more consistent) and this was the bar for my XL at FW16. Unfortunately FW16 just didn't stack up to either of these options for me in terms of feel or tone. Many players (often much more talented & successful than i) were happy to sell their real amps waaaay before FW16 - so I dunno, obviously we all hear / play / feel music very differently. I remember at FW18, I could occasionally fool myself on a blind A/B (tone and feel) with light finger picking / without a plectrum, but was Q3 before it beat the palmer for me - in fact it's so close to my mic'd cab tone now that I can A/B fool myself in a live band mix with heavy picks all night long! The default presets are so well constructed / balanced / plug-n-play now that I don't really need my RAC12 so much, the old harsh top end is greatly diminished, the once flat 2d note tone now seems to have more fluidity / complexity / 3d-ness, the bottom end is tighter, it basically sounds & feels so much like my real amps, that I'm quite content to use it and I totally forgett that I'm not playing through real tubes! On the other hand, people have been making this exact same claim since FW1, so obviously Q3 was just my boarding time - will it be good enough for you? Who knows! Oh and the drive blocks are very useable now too, they are waaaay better than before & have retired my pedalboard. The main thing I'm not fully there with yet is the tone I get when I roll back the guitar volume knob. it's close & certainly useable, but not quite there yet for me... Maybe Q5 has this sorted!? I'm going to find out as soon as I get through this next run of gigs...!

Last edited:
I don't have my ax 8 yet. My drummer feeds a stereo feed from his mixer. Keep the qsc next to me onstage. I can soundcheck with my iPad. Don't really have a need for a snake. It is perfect for small gigs. Nice and warm and full sounding. I'm really a fan of the yamaha DXR 12's. I wanted the matching subs but I opted for a bit smaller price tag on the EV's. They still sound great. Haven't clipped them out yet.
For the EV 118 SUBBIES- U suggest 1 sub per each 12" speaker or just need 1 in general? I plan on getting just 2 speakers 12", and can't decide on 10" monitors or IEM- need to study the pros/cons

For the EV 118 SUBBIES- U suggest 1 sub per each 12" speaker or just need 1 in general? I plan on getting just 2 speakers 12", and can't decide on 10" monitors or IEM- need to study the pros/cons
I got two subs with my set up. I think one would work for small indoor gigs but two would definitely be better for outside.

Got my ax 8 yesterday. My initial impression is very good. It's really plug and play aside from getting the appropriate cab plugged in.

WOW- I like the customization u have for certain gig types! So I want to get atleast a set of 12" speakers- so will check out the DXR12- How about a SUB? Needed u think? So when using Fractal- you always MIC up your FRFR cab? Its better than direct into PA? Lastly- you use a Furman power conditioner? Whats a good travel Rack Box?
Yeah I get some pretty bad GAS attacks... ;)

I pretty much always run the Fractal direct into the PA from OUT 1 and run OUT 2 into the speaker or amp or whatever. Don't use any subs, I get plenty of lows, played a gig with the DXR12s last weekend at a medium club and there was no shortage of lows.

I use an APC AV C2 power filter from the wall outlet (http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-AV-C-Type-2-Outlet-Wall-Mount-Power-Filter-120V/P-C2 ) and run it into one or two Furman ss-6B power boxes (depending upon the setup). If there is ANY chance of ground loops, I use a Hum-X, which unfortunately has a 6A limit, but that still provides 720W of power. But if everything is run from the same source, then I don't use it.

Back
Top Bottom