Somebody said I'd be back

edawterb

Experienced
And they were right. Lol. I took the plunge and picked up an AX8. I sold my ax two around firmware 16 so it's been a few years I think. It wont be here for a week but I gotta say I'm pretty excited to hear all the new advancements in the unit.

The major difference between now and when I had my axe 2 is that I had a crappy pair of mackie monitors to play it thru. Now I have a sweet PA to plug the ax 8 into. I think it will make a huge difference in how I program it now. My issue before was I made my patches on those monitors and they didn't really translate all that well to the sound system I was playing on live.

I bought my XL at FW16, didn't like it, powered it up to test each new FW update. FW Q3 was my ticket to jump on board. Havent touched a real amp since & picked up an AX-8 last week. Enjoy!

I bought my XL at FW16, didn't like it, powered it up to test each new FW update. FW Q3 was my ticket to jump on board. Havent touched a real amp since & picked up an AX-8 last week. Enjoy!

oh my...you got me really excited now. I always got compliments on my tone with my axe 2 but there always seemed to be something lacking for me. Now I won't sleep til it gets here because I'll be scouring the internet for clues as to what I am about to receive in the mail. Lol

Can someone describe for me the difference between FW16 and the current FW? What has changed for you aside from all the lingo you hear on the web. How does it make YOU "feel"? Lol. I've been playing a friedman smallbox thru a friedman 4x12. I hope I can leave it in my basement.

The major difference between now and when I had my axe 2 is that I had a crappy pair of mackie monitors to play it thru. Now I have a sweet PA to plug the ax 8 into. I think it will make a huge difference in how I program it now. My issue before was I made my patches on those monitors and they didn't really translate all that well to the sound system I was playing on live.
I am on the hunt for my 1st PA system- soup to nuts. Need either in-ear monitor or wedges, 8-16 channel mixer (iPad controls would be nice) then a decent small/med size setup for mainly small (coffee/brewery) to medium (backyard BBQ party, Outside events) gigs which would be both indoor and out- so expandable/adjustable would be nice. I heard QSC is awesome but delicate. Would u mind sharing some of your PA setup u have now?

I am on the hunt for my 1st PA system- soup to nuts. Need either in-ear monitor or wedges, 8-16 channel mixer (iPad controls would be nice) then a decent small/med size setup for mainly small (coffee/brewery) to medium (backyard BBQ party, Outside events) gigs which would be both indoor and out- so expandable/adjustable would be nice. I heard QSC is awesome but delicate. Would u mind sharing some of your PA setup u have now?

Ya man. I have the 16 channel QSC board....DXR12 yamahas for tops and EV elx 18's for subs. I picked up two EV ZLX 12's for my floor wedges. Sounds incredible...imo.

Ya man. I have the 16 channel QSC board....DXR12 yamahas for tops and EV elx 18's for subs. I picked up two EV ZLX 12's for my floor wedges. Sounds incredible...imo.
Nice! So for most small gigs- you just run a snake out and keep the mixer off to the side? What snake you using? And do you go from AX8 with 1/4 inch or XLR- I imagine the xlr main out...
Does the QCS mixer feature work well- the one that senses the room and adjusts accordingly?

Last edited:
Welcome back! There has been a lot go on since you checked out. You'll like what they've done with the place... :)

Nice! So for most small gigs- you just run a snake out and keep the mixer off to the side? What snake you using? And do you go from AX8 with 1/4 inch or XLR- I imagine the xlr main out...

I don't have my ax 8 yet. My drummer feeds a stereo feed from his mixer. Keep the qsc next to me onstage. I can soundcheck with my iPad. Don't really have a need for a snake. It is perfect for small gigs. Nice and warm and full sounding. I'm really a fan of the yamaha DXR 12's. I wanted the matching subs but I opted for a bit smaller price tag on the EV's. They still sound great. Haven't clipped them out yet.

Have several. Here goes:

1) Yamaha EMX512SC powered 12-channel mixer + two BR12M passive monitors/mains (this was my first decent PA system) with two DBR10 powered speakers which I use as monitors;

2) Mackie ProFX16V2 16 -channel mixer, or a Behringer XR18 18-channel digital wireless mixer (which I literally just bought and am still playing with), driving two Yamaha DXR12 mains, and again use the DBR10s for monitors.

FWIW, for my Fractal, I typically use either a DXR10 with the Fractal for larger spaces, as well as a Quilter Tone Block 200 into a 1x12 cab loaded with a Eminence Beta 12LTA when I want to use an amp (or need to use the DXR10 as a third monitor). On occasion, for really small places where I am not using my PA, or for rehearsals, I might use a DBR10 for the Fractal.

I use the EMX512 system for smaller gigs, and move to the Mackie (or the Behringer, as it is evolving) and the DXR12s for larger venues. Usually when I play even larger gigs, there is a sound system provided by the host. Although I did play an acoustic guitar duo gig with the DXR10 as the main and a DBR10 for a monitor.

IMHO the small Mackie mixer and a couple DXR10s as mains might work well for what you are trying to do. And, two DBR10s for monitors will cost you about as much as a good IEM system, but entirely up to you, I have IEMs as well and do use them on occasion.

I gotta say that the Behringer digital wireless mixer has a HUGE bang for the buck, sounds great, lots of features, and the wifi seems pretty robust, contrary to some of the reviews. I can always get an external router if it proves problematic, they're cheap. Will start gigging with it in a few weeks when I get a little more familiar with it. And the Yamaha & Mackie stuff takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin!

Back
Top Bottom