Somebody has been working on their arpeggios!

Didn't that guy with the dual....or was it quad....guitar necks in some 80s hair metal band do this sort of thing, minus the picking?

That claw grip thing in the second was interesting.

The first video is comical but the 3 part Guitar World lesson thing he did is very informative. He has some great techniques for avoiding the generic major/minor arpeggio rut that it is so common to fall into when sweep picking.

Thanks for introducing me to this dude.

it looks so easy on these videos but I can't seem to get to the first rung of the ladder... yet.

In one of his YouTube vidoes he claims to have practiced 10+ hours a day for many years, much like Steve Vai I suppose. Of course you have to be born with a certain amount of natural ability, but imagine how much you'd improve if you dedicated over 3,000 hours a year to playing.

When I saw that thumb appear in front I thought it was an optical illusion. My verdict is still out on whether I dig his playing or not. I'm mostly impressed but not necessarily inspired.

Did you watch the second video? First vid I was just pointing out the insanity but quick use of the thumb on E string of arpeggio at times. I never tried using my thumb for arpeggios..

Second vids pretty cool chording technique. Monkey grip!

"Ahhh, chimpanzee that monkey news!" -RG

AdamCook said:
The first video is obviously just a "look what I can do" technique demonstration and is not meant to be musical.

I found this one to be inspiring once he starts talking about breaking out of the typical pentatonic box around 3 minutes in:
Guitar World Presents - Glenn Proudfoot [Part 1/3] - YouTube

Ah, ya stole my thunder Adam! :). I wanted people to hate this guy purely based on the first video and then point out that he is actually awesome!

Sociological experiment of guitar players and ability and the like... Oh well...

Enjoy folks, this guys great, and Cliff is getting his hair done like this, so get used to it and watch what you say about it!

This sounds pretty musical to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH2CuO85HwE&sns=em

Last edited:
The way he holds his pick is what allows you to develop that speed.

@6:20 he describes how he holds his pick

Guitar World Presents: Glenn Proudfoot [Part 3/3] - YouTube

I never held my pick that way, in 30+ years of playing. I tried it and I easily broke 180bpm 16ths, a speed I never approached before.

The pick is able to pivot on the finger so much better for the upstrokes.

The way he holds his pick is what allows you to develop that speed.

@6:20 he describes how he holds his pick

Guitar World Presents: Glenn Proudfoot [Part 3/3] - YouTube

I never held my pick that way, in 30+ years of playing. I tried it and I easily broke 180bpm 16ths, a speed I never approached before.

The pick is able to pivot on the finger so much better for the upstrokes.

I'm subscribed to Paul Gilbert's classes right now, and in one of his video answers he basically says that he holds the pick like this too. Moreover, he held it "wrong" for the first 8 years he played guitar and it took him a year to get used to holding it between his thumb and the side of his index finger.

Ah, ya stole my thunder Adam! :). I wanted people to hate this guy purely based on the first video and then point out that he is actually awesome!

Sociological experiment of guitar players and ability and the like... Oh well...

Enjoy folks, this guys great, and Cliff is getting his hair done like this, so get used to it and watch what you say about it!

This sounds pretty musical to me: Glenn Proudfoot - 'Evangel' - YouTube

Incredibly executed, but there is not one melody in there that's going to pop into my head a week from now. And... he doesn't sound 'different' - and this may be a deficiency in MY ears, MY brain - but when I first heard Zappa, or Hendrix, or, hell, even Pete Townshend, the Edge - they didn't sound like anyone else... they sounded totally new.

And... I also think that high-speed arpeggios just bore me. I am in awe of the technique, but I do not find this one quarter as musical as one slowly, deeply played note. I am not against 'speed' (Zappa was fast - for his day), but what I percieve as the over-use of speed. This is my bias, I know - the pursuit of speed, worshipping at the temple of speed seems to be what it's all about for a lot of folks. I like to play fast - but just a little. It's like sex: nuance and feeling are the base, speed's just thrown in for flava.

Incredibly executed, but there is not one melody in there that's going to pop into my head a week from now. And... he doesn't sound 'different' - and this may be a deficiency in MY ears, MY brain - but when I first heard Zappa, or Hendrix, or, hell, even Pete Townshend, the Edge - they didn't sound like anyone else... they sounded totally new.

And... I also think that high-speed arpeggios just bore me. I am in awe of the technique, but I do not find this one quarter as musical as one slowly, deeply played note. I am not against 'speed' (Zappa was fast - for his day), but what I percieve as the over-use of speed. This is my bias, I know - the pursuit of speed, worshipping at the temple of speed seems to be what it's all about for a lot of folks. I like to play fast - but just a little. It's like sex: nuance and feeling are the base, speed's just thrown in for flava.

I never understand why people enter threads started by others and shit on them. You don't like, fine, why share that or your sex life with us?

luke said:
I never understand why people enter threads started by others and shit on them. You don't like, fine, why share that or your sex life with us?

Right?! And Polymath, how do you know your partner doesn't like it fast? Did you ever ask him? :)

Back
Top Bottom