Some tricks in mixing Cab, please !

slashy

Inspired
I try again to use my Axe FX2 for the second time, instead of my CarolAnn OD2R and my Cab Carol Ann with Greenback (in 16 ohms) because it is difficult to record at home ! But i must say, that i m not satisfied with the sound.
I take a simple patch, for example, Amp+Cab (Friedman BE, or Carol Ann)and a Cab (i bought yesterdays two Cab pack 10 and 14, i have The Factory amp and some Ownhammer).But nothing sound like my amp !!!
Sorry to tell that, but i 'm lost in the Axe FX2.I understand very well functions (i own it since 2 years).But i never find a good sound or perhaps in clean sound.
I believe that the key is in Cab .I like Greebnback , and V30 (but less), i like the Royer 121 'i have one) and Sm57 (too).
I try to mix with some Ir with this Speakers, this Mic , but believe or not, i have a sound that "sound" not real !
Is someone could help me in the mix of Cab.Some tricks or some advices are welcome.
Otherwise i believe that i become "mad" ! ;)Thank you in advance !

How about making an IR from your own cab, then it's miced just the way you like it?

How about making an IR from your own cab, then it's miced just the way you like it?
because i don't know how to do it ! I bought a lot of IR (Redwirez, Ownhammer, cab Pack), i think the solution is in these cab pack.
But honestly, i don't find that AXE FX2 "sound" as real as a real amp.But when i hear some demo, of the Friedman, i would like the same sound at home ;)
i don't know where is the problem, but i actually prefer my real amp !I'm going to try again.
So if you have some good combinaison of cab , i want them ! ;)
I find it's hard to mix some mic of the same cab in Cab Lab3, but i never had problem in real with my Royer 121 and my SM57 !

I'll try them this afternoon! Thank a lot !
You're welcome :)
I hope they will help you find your sound!
Remember to read the included pdf. It contains info about signal chain and mic's plus explains my reasoning behind the naming of the IR's.
Per

I think there might be something bigger that's wrong and not just the cab.

Are you creating a preset that should work simultaneously with a real cab and IR? That would most likely be asking too much.

You haven't tried my IR's yet but I strongly advice you to find the solution before you spend more money on IR's. Try my free IR samples maybe: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/free-ml-sound-lab-irs-clark-kent-job-generation-y.103345/

Mixing secrets are very different from person so person. Less is more for me. A single SM57 is underrated in here. A SM57-R121 mix will be close to the "in the room" brightness.

Hello Clark ! ;)no i just create a single program (with Friedman HB/HBE) for recording the rhythm tracks (of my compositions).
This afternoon i will try you IR that i just downloaded.
Yesterady i begin to be happy (or almost) with the Lersxt 4X12 Alex Lifeson with M160 and AT4047 . M160 principal and 4047 for more definition but at -3 db.

Is it possible to have one of your HB preset to test with your IR ? And if yes, where i can find it ?Thank you !!!! ;)

An very interessting thread - a comparison between the real amp/cap and the same amp in the axe.

Have you recorded your real amp, so that we can here it here (a few chords...)?

What is the sound you are looking for? Direct with one mic or the cabsound in the room (very difficult to do with the axe)?

Don´t believe that a Mic-combination will sound better than singlemic! To find the sweet spot in the cabpacks is more important.

It´s the first what I do when I try an new cab pack - the single raw mics and their different positions at every speaker.

Mixing Mics with cablab - (3?) is cool, but it can be an endless job, if you don´t not know how to do.

Last edited:
An very interessting thread - a comparison between the real amp/cap and the same amp in the axe.

Have you recorded your real amp, so that we can here it here (a few chords...)?

What is the sound you are looking for? Direct with one mic or the cabsound in the room (very difficult to do with the axe)?

Don´t believe that a Mic-combination will sound better than singlemic! To find the sweet spot in the cabpacks is more important.

It´s the first what I do when I try an new cab pack - the single raw mics and their different positions at every speaker.

Mixing Mics with cablab - (3?) is cool, but it can be an endless job, if you´re not really how to do.
I like my carol Ann OD2-R with his Cab in Greenback, but it's difficult for me to record at high volume at home.For the hi-gain it more difficult, because the volume master is good at a certain volume, like every amp(often 11o 'clock).
For mic i like mixing Royer 121 and SM 57, a classic.The sm57 is a eq for me ;)
I try one more time to use the Axe FX2, because i hear some good track about it.But believe or not, i can't arrive to be satisfied !
On my real amp, i turn some button , it's easier than programming too much parameters in the Axe.
but i'm going to try again.....Sorry for my bad english written, i'm french ! ;)

I like my carol Ann OD2-R with his Cab in Greenback, but it's difficult for me to record at high volume at home.For the hi-gain it more difficult, because the volume master is good at a certain volume, like every amp(often 11o 'clock).
For mic i like mixing Royer 121 and SM 57, a classic.The sm57 is a eq for me ;)
I try one more time to use the Axe FX2, because i hear some good track about it.But believe or not, i can't arrive to be satisfied !
On my real amp, i turn some button , it's easier than programming too much parameters in the Axe.
but i'm going to try again.....Sorry for my bad english written, i'm french ! ;)

And i completely agree with you.Since this afternoon, i try only one Mic to find the sweet spot instead of mixing several Mic.
After finding it, i try to search a another Mic to complete the first in frequency.

I
No problem, I´m german......

but maybe Cabpack 14 is not the right...why not the Britcollection from ML or CabIR?

This would be better, if you´r looking for Greenbacks.

Definitely post a clip of your patch, and if you can get a clip of your actual amp and cab too. Are you comparing the axe sounds directly to you od2r in the room? You have to remember that the axe is simulating a guitar sound being recorded by a microphone, not the "amp in the room" sound!

Definitely post a clip of your patch, and if you can get a clip of your actual amp and cab too. Are you comparing the axe sounds directly to you od2r in the room? You have to remember that the axe is simulating a guitar sound being recorded by a microphone, not the "amp in the room" sound!
Yes, of course.
Time after time, i try to approach the sound i like with the Axe.
Cab 10 and 14 are perhaps my solution.Some Cab like the 4X12 TV please me.
But i need to lower the hi-cut to avoid some too high frequency to darker the sound as i like.

Back
Top Bottom