Some tone matching clarification and help, please

Jeff B

Inspired
Hello everyone! :)

Ok.. so I've been reading up on the tone matching features that the AFX offers and I'm very interested in taking advantage of these in order to maximize how I may use this new amazing black box at my fingertips and is one of the reasons that the AFX piqued my interest in the beginning.

So, what I have is a Peavey JSX, running into a Carvin Legacy 2x12 Greenback cab. I have been reading some of the tutorials and watching some vids on YouTube, but still have some confusion... especially since now I'm hearing a lot more about players using the synth effect to create a SINE wave and running that through the amp, etc.?? I'd also like to get some clarification as to how to set up to capture my cab IR's. I read the Pete Thorn setup and he was using some really nice mics, mic pres, and running that into this and that... I'm not sure exactly what I need to create the best sound I can get being that I don't have a professional studio to work out of.

If I could get some guidance with the physical setup I will need to make this happen (connections, extra hardware required, etc.) and then discuss some of the techniques you all are using, I feel that would help guide me in the right direction to begin experimenting a bit. Things like, do I capture the amp with my tone knobs all at 12 o'clock and match that in the Axe, etc.? It seems like this new SINE method is catching on, but I don't fully understand what is making it better, if any, from Cliff's original tutorial.

Anyways... any help on this topic would be much appreciated. My apologies for all the noob questions, but it does seem a little daunting while reading all the information and techniques here and upon my first experience with trying to tone match a Steve Vai tone from a really great isolated guitar track left me with something that sounded muddy and nothing like what I was hearing from the recording. Obviously, I'm doing things wrong here. Thanks again guys!! :)

Back
Top Bottom