Some thoughts on Impulse Responses & "in the room" tone

They’re totally free, and you don’t have to read the whole thing, just up to post #40(see the fine print in Jay’s post). ;).

Here’s: a link to @Gigsup’s RF FF IR’s of a 4x12 with G12-T75 speakers, and a 2x12 with Celestion Gold’s: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/28799261/

Just convert them to .syx using cab lab, and they will work with the AX8. Give them a try, you might be surprised at how the sound.
Sorry. What's far field IRs? Thanks

Wow...

Most of what you say would make a lot of sense if I was using headphones to practice at home, but as I'm using an frfr, I just try to have a nice sound that makes me feel good.

Onstage I use IEM. I'm used to that. I prefer a monitor/amp, but that's the way my band is doing it now. I'm ok when I know it sounds good at FOH. I'm just working with our sound man to eq my IEM line so it sounds more pleasant to my ears.

Well I honestly didn't realize this thread was still going on - didn't get any notifications -, but maybe it's a good idea to make up a list of things that affect our perception of sound between AX8 and brain:

1. EQ in AX8
2. Impulse Response in AX8
3. Audio gear after AX8 (mixer, IEM transmitter/receiver, etc)
4. Drivers, quantity of them, configuration, geometry, etc.
5. On/off axis response (FRFR only)
6. Room/stage early reflections (FRFR only)
7. 2.8 kHz ear canal dip
8. 4kHz hearing dip (comes with age)
9. Fletcher-Munson curve
10. Band mix (vs guitar by itself)

Did I forget anything?

Now, my AX8 already sounds killer through FRFR, sounds very much like my tube amp right next to it through a Yamaha DXR10, no issues there.

My goal is really to minimize the difference between FRFR and IEM, that's the reason I'm looking at IRs and also a little at EQ. I'd like to reach a compromise where both sound acceptable, but I believe my standards for "acceptable" aren't exaclty the lowest.

Drivers and audio gear matter, that's why I've got a Sennheiser EW300 IEM G3 and a pair of Etymotics ER4SR, and honestly I feel I'm getting very close, just wanted to hear more ideas on the specifics in my OP. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Over the 4th weekend I hooked up my 4 - 4x12's and let them roar (See pic), and the funny thing was that I switched between the clr and the wall, and it surprised me how similar it sounded. Was it exactly the same? no... impossible, as there was some air moving with the 4x12's, and they are half open backs. But the way I do my high cuts and what not they were very similar. You can get close, or like an old jazz buddy used to say "Close enough for modern jazz". It got really cool when i mixed them.

Attachments

• 66160972_10217161702307151_3056774734764048384_o.jpg
    66160972_10217161702307151_3056774734764048384_o.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 17
Over the 4th weekend I hooked up my 4 - 4x12's and let them roar (See pic), and the funny thing was that I switched between the clr and the wall, and it surprised me how similar it sounded. Was it exactly the same? no... impossible, as there was some air moving with the 4x12's, and they are half open backs. But the way I do my high cuts and what not they were very similar. You can get close, or like an old jazz buddy used to say "Close enough for modern jazz". It got really cool when i mixed them.

Show-off :p

But seriously, that's the spirit, that's exactly the kind of compromise I'm looking for, only between FRFR and IEMs.

Maybe when that journey is over - well it's never really over, but close enough - I'll share my findings, lots of google searches didn't give me as many results on dealing with dirty guitar tones through IEMs as I had expected.

Back
Top Bottom