Some "Secret Sauce" questions

fuzzyoctaves

Inspired
I tend to run some pedals before the front panel input of my AxeFX mk2. Specifically, I use a couple of fuzz pedals (Pharaoh and a Doom Bloom), a Digitech Freqout, and sometimes a Polara (for reverse reverb). Obviously, the last two are buffered pedals. Should I be running into the rear input in that case? If so, what am I losing by not getting the "secret sauce?" I don't really understand what "impedance" really means in terms of my guitar tone.
Should I run them in the FX loop and then put the FX loop in front of my FX chain in the Axe instead? I'd rather not because I want to use the loop for a Line 6 HX.

For fuzz pedals, you usually want them before the Axe Fx because they interact with your guitar pickup "load"... Since the Axe Fx has a buffered input, that effects the load that is "seen" by the fuzz when putting it in the loop.

Most other effects don't matter.

Pedals in front, they work best at instrument level, especially fuzz pedals. The loop is line level, probably will work fine with modulation, but things with gain, such as a drive pedal, are expecting instruments level signal.

Pedals in front, they work best at instrument level, especially fuzz pedals. The loop is line level, probably will work fine with modulation, but things with gain, such as a drive pedal, are expecting instruments level signal.
If you put the loop before the amp block, the level is no different than with a traditional chain.

The only increase in signal is if something in the chain increases it.

I’ve always gotten difference responses out of drive pedals. Obviously germanium fuzz and such need to be before a buffer, hardware wise or the front input of the axe, but even with pedals that play well behind buffers like muffs, my axis fuzz, various OD’s etc, I can’t get the same feel and tone.

When I had the source audio pedals they worked well in the loop, but they were designed to run well at instrument or line level.

As nice as it would be, I just don’t think in front of the input and in the loop are the same thing. Wish it was as I’d love to be able to use the Axe wahs in front of pedals like the Axis, but it just didn’t work in the loop

No intent on hijacking the thread here but related (ish) question. Does the effects loop block utilize the imput from the physical effects ln the rear and not the front pannel imput? I havent even used my axe fx yet. Ive been out of the country for months. Just studying (the ax) while abroad.

No intent on hijacking the thread here but related (ish) question. Does the effects loop block utilize the imput from the physical effects ln the rear and not the front pannel imput? I havent even used my axe fx yet. Ive been out of the country for months. Just studying (the ax) while abroad.
I'm not quite sure I understand what you are asking... But the FX Loop outputs and inputs are on the rear of the unit.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are asking... But the FX Loop outputs and inputs are on the rear of the unit.

Oh i know they're in the back haha. is it the only input that utilizes the effects loop block though? or can you set it up other inputs to run into the effects loop block. example: is it possible to set up the effects loop to utilize the front input, 16, 17, or 18, inputs in a menu somewhere?
Screenshot (23).png

The noise reduction on the front panel input makes a huge difference compared to going into the rear input. Unless I have something set up wrong...

Back
Top Bottom