Some Pickup positions on the guitar sounding wierd. help.

haavardmk

Flaxwood Voima With Seth Lovers set and a lipstick in the middle. (HSH)
I have it set up like strat Bridge, Bridge-middle etc.. but with a separate coil split (push pull)

1. The Bridge and neck sounds very odd split, especially the bridge.

2. The bridge unsplit and middle also have odd artifacts.

Is there a pickup genious on here that can tell whats wrong by ear? o_O

I appreciate any helpfull comments! :)

In the comment section on soundcloud i have timestamped all the pickup combinations used.

Last edited:
Flaxwood Voima With Seth Lovers set and a lipstick in the middle. (HSH)
I have it set up like strat Bridge, Bridge-middle etc.. but with a separate coil split (push pull)

1. The Bridge and neck sounds very odd split, especially the bridge.

2. The bridge unsplit and middle also have odd artifacts.

Is there a pickup genious on here that can tell whats wrong by ear? o_O

I appreciate any helpfull comments! :)

In the comment section on soundcloud i have timestamped all the pickup combinations used.

Is it a HSH-T? Then try to dampen the trem springs.

Sounds to me like the bridge humbucker has been (accidentally) wired to run out of phase with itself instead of splitting when in split mode, ie both coils still on but one reversed polarity.
Could also be effecting the bridge/middle positions.

Sounds to me like the bridge humbucker has been (accidentally) wired to run out of phase with itself instead of splitting when in split mode, ie both coils still on but one reversed polarity.
Could also be effecting the bridge/middle positions.

my thoughts exactly! do you know how this may have happened? Is it something about the push/pull?

Thanks!

Yes, it's absolutely (most probably) to do with how the pup is wired to the push/pull.
Whoever did it screwed it up, that's how it happened!
Although It can get quite confusing with all the wires and colours etc, so you know.... Shouldn't be hard to fix, just a bit of head scratching and re-soldering.
There's much in the way of pickup wiring diagrams out there, have a search around, or take it back to whoever wired it and get them to fix it up.

Yes, it's absolutely (most probably) to do with how the pup is wired to the push/pull.
Whoever did it screwed it up, that's how it happened!
Although It can get quite confusing with all the wires and colours etc, so you know.... Shouldn't be hard to fix, just a bit of head scratching and re-soldering.
There's much in the way of pickup wiring diagrams out there, have a search around, or take it back to whoever wired it and get them to fix it up.

Just found out both coils were active by tapping on the polepieces with some iron. so it's probably that. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom