Some People Think our beloved Axe-Fx is just a glorified iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think you'll be able to hook up a computer to the USB port on an old Axe Fx 30 years from now?

No comment on any of the other points, but USB will stay with us for a long time. The USB4 specification released in August 2019 is backwards compatible with USB2.0 which was released in April 2000. Given that most low-speed/power USB devices such as mice or printers still come with an USB2 port, and it's unlikely for that to change any time soon due to economic reasons, it will be a long time before PCs will not have USB2 compatible ports, and even longer until you can't connect USB2 gear via adapters etc.
A better question would be if there's a mainstream OS in 30 years that will run the Axe FX 3 drivers and Axe Edit :)

I think that is true. Software, ports, standards in general change. My "smart" TV at home is ~6 years old, and has apps for services that no longer exist or don't work anymore. Interfaces change. Do you think you'll be able to hook up a computer to the USB port on an old Axe Fx 30 years from now? Probably not. Can the Axe Fx be repaired during that time? Maybe. At my current job, I deal with hardware products hitting end of life because manufacturers stop making the processors they use. I mean, I can't even replace boards in some older customers equipment because TI no longer has stock of the parts. We did final buys of what was available, but that only lasted so long.

So is my III going to outlive a JCM800? I don't think it's even debatable.
hmm. if they stop making tubes in 20 years, will you be able to retube your jcm in 30 years? no.

if over time computers stop having usb ports, one would probably keep a computer with usb ports if they intend to use gear that has usb ports.

so if i keep my current computer and axe for 30 years, yes, in 30 years i can connect the axe to my computer via usb.

that said, i'm sure there will be converters for whatever port to usb 2.0.

So is my III going to outlive a JCM800? I don't think it's even debatable.

Maybe, but considering all of the advantages an Axe-Fx III has over any single tube amp right now, I don't care. It was money well spent.

People like Fricker have a habit of comparing the Axe-Fx to a tube amp. The Axe-Fx isn't just one amp. It's well over 100, and has more than 2000 cab IR's, numerous top-notch effects, and more features than you can shake a stick at.

Last edited:
You might have a tube amp for 30 years and still use it, yes.
The Axe Fx II was 6 or 7 years flagship product until the III came. With the horsepower of the III, you might even be able to stretch the platform to 10 years until more CPU power is required for even more realism. Apart from that, what else could be new features for an Axe IV? The III has already everything regarding in/out, connectivity, quality of the analog signal path etc. that a guitarist could ever want. You might add a touch display... maybe ADAT i/o... but then?
IMO the next step from the III could only be to create a full-fledged audio interface with mic pres, internal monitoring mixer, models of analog studio classics (Neve EQ, Urei and Teletronix comps etc.) etc. But there the big question is if that is any part of Cliff's business plans, to enter into that kind of market, or if he sticks to guitar players as the focus.
So, you might be happy with your III for 10 years. And then buy a IV and a V and there you also have your 30 years. At the end of the day, you might have spent 7500$ for the three devices vs. 2500$ for the JVM and a cab, but - how many amps did you have in the Axe during that time? How many FX? What flexibility in total recall, editing, studio connecitons etc.? Frankly, I think counting all that going Fractal over 30 years is a better investment than buying one tube amp.

[Video Removed -- Some guy was trying say controversial things get more YouTube views.]

I just wanted to put this here before everyone sees it in the wild. I mean we know this statement isnt true.
Some people still think there is a reason to debate this - i think that says enough - it is the gold standard of the encapsulated epitome of ALL the entire rigs on the planet, and it sounds even better than the real ones sometimes......

Refer to ANY of my past 5 posts, and you’ll see how I feel - FAS is now an unstoppable force.

[Video Removed -- Some guy was trying say controversial things get more YouTube views.]

I just wanted to put this here before everyone sees it in the wild. I mean we know this statement isnt true.

Yeah, I saw this earlier and wasn't impressed. Quite an arrogant thing to say.

Well, the Axe III may be replaced one day, but we have access to waaay more amps than GF has in his studio, with the ability to get great sound recording in a small room.

Not everyone works in a studio and is able to run loud amps. I like the amount of choice and flexibility on the Axe, as opposed to getting a tube amp and using load-boxes and pedals We can also mod anything at the click of a mouse and the effects, delay and reverb for example, are world-class.

Maybe, but considering all of the advantages an Axe-Fx III has over any single tube amp right now, I don't care. It was money well spent.

I agree. I spent my money on one as well. I don't have any misguided illusions that it will be running in 30 years though. Could it? Possibly. I'm sure things in it would have to be refreshed. I'm sure that I'll be running the Axe Fx X by then though.

Refer to my recent posts: The axe Fx iii WILL BE the LAST BIG, PHYSICAL Pre amp/modeler there is....and after 10 years, maybe someone will produce something comparable, but not in the next 5.....and after that who cares? Half a decade with equipment (especially these days) means you have a keeper....

If the axe 3 is a glorified ipad, the axe 4, will be literally a glorified iPad Pro......its so wierd that i posted something VERY similarly to this metaphor and said that it is the definitive and. Gold standard in the guitar world for the next decade

so sounds like that guy is reacting to my predictions

"Some People Think our beloved Axe-Fx is just a glorified iPad"

I don't see the insult in there.

The title is misleading - he gives Axefx credit for being very good at what it does, but he makes the distinction that gear which is more technology based (modellers) will become obsolete / be replaced by newer versions faster than more traditional gear (tube amps). True or not? - I don't know, but debatable I think.

I didn't like Glenn when I first saw his vids but have come to realize he does have some good insights if you can strip away the "shtick".

Hey he got to sit with Nita Strauss
And Jen Majura so he cant be that bad

The III has already everything regarding in/out, connectivity

Except digital loop/send return with a second Axe 3. I couldn’t resist the sale and dream of digitally connecting two Axe 3’s for ridiculous 4 amp experiments. The idea of having the DSP power of an Axe IV today. Silly? Stupid? Pointless? Maybe but I gotta try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom