Solving noise on channel switch

fuzzyoctaves

Inspired
There is noise when you switch channels on certain effect blocks. I am taking that as a given, but am wondering why this is the case. I am also exploring solutions, both current and wish list.

In the attached preset, the only thing that changes between scene 1 and 2 is that the reverb1 block changes channels from A to B. If I switch back and forth between scene 1 and 2, there is noise. Again, I am taking that as a given but wondering if that's true and if so, why.

Reverb2 block is set to channel B and I am using the multiplexer block with Input Select assigned to FC1 Ext3 to switch between Reverb1 (set to channel A) and Reverb2 (set to channel B). When I toggle the Input select back and forth - effectively switching between Reverb channel A and B, there is no noise.

I have a "solution" to my problem with the multiplexer, but it is CPU intensive and keeps me from adding another reverb block. I also figured out a Mixer block that will crossfade the two blocks. Does anyone have other approaches?

It seems like the appropriate Wish List request would be to have a crossfade option for channel changes - does that make sense?

Attachments

• ReverbChannelSwitch.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
Any blocks with tails like Delays and Reverbs can experience glitches when switching channels, because the audio in the 'que' needs to carry over to the new channel/algorithm. This glitch can be less noticeable (or nonexistent) with Delays because the 'glitch' most of the times occurs in the space between delay repeats. However, any big differences between the two channels can still cause artifacts in the tails. With Reverbs, there is no space between delay repeats to mask the change, so it is way more noticeable.

Using two separate Reverb blocks is the 'best' way to mitigate this. But using the 'Multiplexer' block after them will cut off the tails when switching. With the bypass modes set correctly, scenes are very good for this, but if you want to use external switches it takes a bit more work.

You can also just use the same Reverb (or Delay) channel and attach a Scene Controller or an External Switch to control a parameter or two (or three?) to morph between two usable sets of values that give you what you want without ever changing channels. As in the basic example below using the External Switch 3.

Moke

Attachments

• ReverbChannelSwitch (MCP).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
Great explanation Moke and good point about just morphing a single reverb. I didn't imagine that the stratocumulous would sound so much like "normal" reverb with low time settings.

FWIW, I'm including the version that uses a mixer block to crossfade between two different reverb blocks.

Attachments

• ReverbChannelSwitch xfade.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
Here is an example using two volume blocks to cross-fade before the two Reverbs (in parallel). This keeps the tails completely untouched and doesn't need any 'Damping'.

Attachments

• Reverb Pre-X-Fade (MCP).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
Here is an example using two volume blocks to cross-fade before the two Reverbs (in parallel). This keeps the tails completely untouched and doesn't need any 'Damping'.

Ahha! That's the best way to do it for sure. Thanks for that - that example helped me understand how the Scene Controller works.

Back
Top Bottom