SOLVED: Problem with FW8 upgrade was actually a bad USB cable

nneilboss

Hey all - usually a bad idea to FW upgrade just before a gig. But I did it. Something went wrong. I installed both FW8 and then the new DynACABS - one of my presewts that uses Dynacabs is generating white noise. The guitar can be heard but above a very high noise floor. It is definitely the dynacab block. I want to roll back to FW7. What do i do pleae. or can back up the presets and do a hard reset and reinstall

Reinstall the DynaCab file. Sounds like something got corrupted.

FWIW, your unit is not "bricked". Bricked means the device is non-functional.

Tried reloading the the sysex for the new dynacabs using fractalbot - it crashed halfway. Restarted. I had to go back to Legacy cabs for a couple presets - that fixed the problem for now. Don't have time to mess with it now. May not be bricked , but still not completely functional and now I am worrying wheter its going to misbehave

Reinstall the DynaCab file. Sounds like something got corrupted.

FWIW, your unit is not "bricked". Bricked means the device is non-functional.
A postscript to this episode. The gig was fine using the legacy cabs and there was no unusual behaviour. But I think the FM9 unit is at least partially "bricked". That is, the system seems to be corrupted so I cannot write any file Dyncabs or FW to the device now - Fractalbot crashes a few seconds into the send operation. FM9 Edit still communicates fine so I know it is not the cable. Any useful ideas welcome, otherwise I am now going to take this offline to G66 UK.

A postscript to this episode. The gig was fine using the legacy cabs and there was no unusual behaviour. But I think the FM9 unit is at least partially "bricked". That is, the system seems to be corrupted so I cannot write any file Dyncabs or FW to the device now - Fractalbot crashes a few seconds into the send operation. FM9 Edit still communicates fine so I know it is not the cable. Any useful ideas welcome, otherwise I am now going to take this offline to G66 UK.
There is no such thing as "partially bricked"... ;)

Just because the cable works with the editor doesn't mean it works for transferring firmware... Different bandwidth requirements.

Try another cable.

Try downloading the firmware again and then load the DynaCabs from the new download.

How long is your USB cable? Make sure it's 15' (5m) or less.

Otherwise, G66 is the right next step.

There is no such thing as "partially bricked"... ;)

Just because the cable works with the editor doesn't mean it works for transferring firmware... Different bandwidth requirements.

Try another cable.

Try downloading the firmware again and then load the DynaCabs from the new download.

How long is your USB cable? Make sure it's 15' (5m) or less.

Otherwise, G66 is the right next step.
Ahem... turns out unix-guy is right. So I was running it off a very long USB cable with an extender. Reloaded the Dynacabs and no crashes. All fixed... whew ... and me with a red face. But gig was great

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom