[SOLVED] Pitch Block - flickering on/off, causing a noise.

Lance Holland

Inspired
I have a patch I use for the Black Keys Lonely Boy. The block is controlled from an expression pedal to go down 12 steps. I've noticed a distorted buzzing sound when using the patch. With the expression pedal in the heel-down position, when I look at the layout on the unit itself, the pitch block is flickering very fast on/off like a strobe. On FM9 Edit, you see the block slowly flicking on/off. When the expression pedal moves so that the block is fully on, the distorted sound disappears. I'm on 4.01 beta 2 (although this problem also was happening on the production build as well). I've tried calibrating the expression pedal and my main patch that uses the same pedal as a wah doesn't exhibit this flickering problem - the wah block doesn't behave that way.

Ideas??

Attachments

• flicker.png
    flicker.png
    375.8 KB · Views: 15
Does that modifier change while the issue you describe is occurring?

In other words, does the little yellow "ball" move?

Also, what do the modifier settings look like on your Wah?

Curious if you adjusted the Pitch modifier to a more "normal" setting if the problem disappears?

Also, can you confirm you only have a single modifier on the Pitch block with auto engage and that it's assigned to the Control parameter?

Good questions.
The ball does move properly when I use the expression pedal. It stays in the bottom left corner with the heel down and moves normally when the pedal is moved up along the graph.

There are no other modifiers in the pitch block.

I've attached a screen shot of the wah block modifier. (it's similar other than the curve used to give it a better feel for a wah).

Attachments

• wah.png
    wah.png
    364.5 KB · Views: 5
I'd check if switching the autoengage type to Fast SPD fixes this. It might be a good idea to also post the preset.

According to FracTool that preset has a second Pitch 1 modifier, Pedal 1 on Voice 1 Detune using MED POS autoengage. I'd guess that's the issue, although if you needed both modifiers it shouldn't cause this if you parked Pedal 1 at 0%.

DUDE!!! You are da man!
Channel B had a modifier. I hadn't considered looking at the other channels in the block as I didn't think they were active. That's new to me...I guess all channels are actually "running" all the time?

Thanks so much!

The other channels aren't really running but the source value is monitored for auto-engage purposes if modifier channel = all, whether or not that parameter is visible or has any effect on the current type. If you needed the detune modifier with auto-engage, setting it to apply to channel B only should also solve the problem.

Back
Top Bottom