[Solved] No USB Audio. Tried 2 Macs and a Windows 10 laptop.

sarge

Power User
Title says it all.

I am running firmware 3.01

All the physical outputs are fine. I can hear my guitar fine when playing through the headphones and OUTPUT 2 is kicking out the guitar sound as well.

Tried it first on an M1 MacBook through a USB hub, no USB Audio. Sort of figured I had just run into my first real campatability issue with the M1, but alas I tried using it plugged directly into My 2013 MacBook, again, no audio.

I tried multiple USB cables, no change. FM3 edit works fine and I can select it as my output device in system preferences.

Finally tried it on a windows 10 box. Again nothing.

Through all the tests I have watched the USB Meters on the "Meters" screen from the home page. Have yet to see it show any activity.

Both Macs have had no problems with the Axe FX III as it's USB audio device, but no such luck with the FM3.

Really hoping it is just some setting on the FM3 I have yet to find, but I have spent 2-3 hours skimming every USB related issue post I could find and nothing so far has made a difference.

USB comes out of Out 1 by default, not Out 2.

on Mac, you can open Audio MIDI Setup, then click the FM3, click Configure Speakers and change everything to Out 2.

USB comes out of Out 1 by default, not Out 2.

on Mac, you can open Audio MIDI Setup, then click the FM3, click Configure Speakers and change everything to Out 2.

Thank you for the reply!

Understood, but given it comes out of Out 1 by default, I assume that would also infer that I should hear it out of the headphone out?

Per the FM3 Manual
COMPUTER OUTPUTS 1+2
Destination: The Output 1 jacks (and headphones).
Applications: Play stereo audio from the computer through the FM3.
NOTE: USB Audio is mixed with any signal from the grid and passed to the outputs.

I went ahead and tried it again anyway (along with essentially every combination in Audio Midi setup with regard to Speaker Configuration it would allow me to do) and still no usb audio either through the headphones or on the USB meters.

I would also add that while Reaper can see the FM3, it never receives any audio from it regardless of how I configure it or which port I select as its' input. The only difference in the case of USB output from the FM3 is that I do see meter activity on the FM3. Reaper just doesn't seem to receive it.

did you select the FM3 as the output device in Mac System Preferences, Audio? (i only use mac so i don't know where it is on Windows)

did you select the FM3 as the output device in Mac System Preferences, Audio? (i only use mac so i don't know where it is on Windows)

I did. :-(
Then unconnected it, rebooted, selected it again etc....

Was hoping there was some other setting I was not aware of that for some reason I simply did not need to select for my Axe FX III.

It just appears none of the USB audio functionality appears to be working.
As far as connecting to the FM3 over USB for FM3 Edit, works fine.
But neither USB audio from the Mac to the FM3, nor USB output from the FM3 to the Mac appear to be doing anything, with the lone exception of the USB output meters on the FM3 showing activity. But that is to be expected as that signal is Measuring what is on the FM 3, not the device that is consuming it.

hmm, there is a USB Input control in Setup > I/O (or somewhere in the Setup, not at the gear).

slight chance that it is turned down?

hmm, there is a USB Input control in Setup > I/O (or somewhere in the Setup, not at the gear).

slight chance that it is turned down?

Unfortunately not. I have tried it from 0 to 12db.

Given neither USB audio Input nor Output are showing any signs of life, I'm starting to think it is becoming less likely it is a setting. Was starting to think maybe something came disconnected inside, however it would need to disconnect in a way that still allows USB serial communication (which seems unlikely)

Unfortunately not. I have tried it from 0 to 12db.

Given neither USB audio Input nor Output are showing any signs of life, I'm starting to think it is becoming less likely it is a setting. Was starting to think maybe something came disconnected inside, however it would need to disconnect in a way that still allows USB serial communication (which seems unlikely)
sure i would contact support.fractalaudio.com and start a new conversation there. they can get you going!

I'd recommend re-installing the FM3 USB Drivers Bundle again, making sure to re-install both files. On completion make sure to reboot your system and see if that corrects the issue?

I'd recommend re-installing the FM3 USB Drivers Bundle again, making sure to re-install both files. On completion make sure to reboot your system and see if that corrects the issue?
Tried it, still no audio.
I went ahead and started a conversation on the support line. Hopefully it can be resolved without sending it back in, but if have to send it in, that's fine.

It is a really cool little device. No problems at all setting up my patches on it and I am playing mainly U2 stuff in my current band. Most demanding patch around 80% cpu, most stuff 60ish. Sounds great. My ears can't tell the difference between it and the Axe FX III. Plus I can easily fit it in my backpack.

Tried it, still no audio.
I went ahead and started a conversation on the support line. Hopefully it can be resolved without sending it back in, but if have to send it in, that's fine.

It is a really cool little device. No problems at all setting up my patches on it and I am playing mainly U2 stuff in my current band. Most demanding patch around 80% cpu, most stuff 60ish. Sounds great. My ears can't tell the difference between it and the Axe FX III. Plus I can easily fit it in my backpack.
Curious. Please post what the solution was when it's resolved.

In the end I had to ship the unit back to Fractal. First they walked me through some simple trouble shooting steps but then just sent me return shipping tag.
They got it in, fixed it and shipped it back out the day after they received it.
Happy to report USB audio is working fine now!

I am having similar issues, but with a Windows 10 based 'puter. If anyone has heard
any incessant banging it was my head hitting a wall repeatedly over the past couple of weeks. :p

Meters dance happily, but me no heary no sound. Still have alcohol, though. Thank goodness!! :)

Verify it is the "USB In" meters you are seeing activity on when you computer is playing audio. I was never seeing any activity on "USB In" but was seeing it on USB out.

Back
Top Bottom