[Solved] No sound from Mac through FM3 [Out 2]

cberry

I'm having the issue with no sound coming out of my Mac through the FM3 also. I have the FM3 connected straight into my MacBook Pro via USB. I don't have the headphone version of the FM3 so I'm using a Y cable out of Output 2 into a headphone amp. I have sound out from the FM3 when I'm playing guitar through it. I have Output 1 copied to Output 2. When I play a YouTube video the Analog Out and USB In meters are in fact lighting up but no sound. (on the Mac, FM3 is selected as the In/Out device) Any ideas?

I have the same problem with an iMac. I have not spent any significant time to diagnose it, but I do not have the same problem with the AxeFX III.

I never had this problem when I had the AxeFX II XL. Does anyone have this working? I don't have a monitor currently otherwise I would try connecting Output 1 and see if I have sound.

Yes, I gave up trying to troubleshoot after reading that they are aware of the USB issues and that it has their attention for a future update.

I'm having the same problem on OS 10.14. No problems with USB for Fractal-Bot and FM3 Edit, it just won't pass audio in Logic or Garage Band. I've tried everything I know to try.

Sucks not being able to use Logic but I know it’s their top priority to fix :) I know there were latency issues but people haven’t posted about sound out via USB.

@cberry - as noted by @Scented Meat : Copy Out 1 to Out 2 will NOT move the USB audio signal. On the Mac, however, you can route audio to out 2 using these instructions:

*(EDITED JAN 2021)
  1. On the FM3, in SETUP > I/O > Audio menu, change USB 3,4 Playback to "OUTPUT 2"
  2. Make sure the OUT 2 LEVEL knob on the top panel of the FM3 is turned up.
  3. On your Mac, open Audio MIDI Setup.
  4. Select the FM3 device from the list, then click Configure Speakers.
  5. Make sure that the Configuration is set to “Stereo” and then select the desired left and right channels (3 and 4 in this case... see below). You can use the TEST buttons to send a burst of white noise to test. Click DONE when you're finished.
    Monosnap 2020-04-17 14-29-33.png

Last edited:
Sucks not being able to use Logic but I know it’s their top priority to fix :) I know there were latency issues but people haven’t posted about sound out via USB.
@cberry - as noted by @Scented Meat : Copy Out 1 to Out 2 will NOT move the USB audio signal. On the Mac, however, you can route audio to out 2 using these instructions:
  1. Open Audio MIDI Setup.
  2. Select the FM3 device from the list, then click Configure Speakers.
  3. Make sure that the Configuration is set to “Stereo” and then select the desired left and right channels.
  4. Click Done to finish.
  5. View attachment 66438
I did those steps and still nothing.

What about getting a dual XLR (Output 1) to 1/4” trs cable and use a headphone amp with output 1...would that not work?

1. Open Audio MIDI Setup.
  2. Select the FM3 device from the list, then click Configure Speakers.
  3. Make sure that the Configuration is set to “Stereo” and then select the desired left and right channels.
  4. Click Done to finish.
  5. View attachment 66438
This works to get USB audio to Out 2, but I think you can’t also use Copy Out 1 to Out 2 for your guitar/FM3 audio at the same time, not can you use an Out 2 block in the preset. Either one cuts off the USB audio.

I explored this in a recent thread:https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...r-usb-audio-from-computer.159974/post-1914891

Back
Top Bottom