[Solved] No Output

PixelBard

Hey All,

I've had my FX8 for a while now, shortly after launch and unfortunately it's been fairly dormant since my band broke up. I was jamming on it about a week ago and then a few days later decided to jam again and now I am not getting any output.

I run the 4 cable method, and have two expression pedals hooked up. If I am on my amps dirty channel I can hear a tiny bit of signal coming from the FX loop but not true output. If I remove the input cable and go directly into the amp it's fine. So I think I can safely say it's not an issue with the amp. I've even turned off the footswitch jack and fx loop on the amp.

I started unplugging everything and got down to just input and output and still no signal. This was done after I did a "factory reset" through the utilities menu.

Anyone had any issues like this?

Thanks

Is your Amps FX loop tube driven? Maybe you had a tube go bad?

I’m assuming everything worked fine before, you have it all hooked-up correctly & changed nothing here in between.

Good luck......

X

Is your Amps FX loop tube driven? Maybe you had a tube go bad?

I’m assuming everything worked fine before, you have it all hooked-up correctly & changed nothing here in between.

Good luck......

X

I believe it is tube driven, but I'd need to ask the guy who built it. But I would think turning off the loop would have eliminated that possibility, or even just unplugging the cables. I will still look into this. Thanks!

I believe it is tube driven, but I'd need to ask the guy who built it. But I would think turning off the loop would have eliminated that possibility, or even just unplugging the cables. I will still look into this. Thanks!
So your amps FX loop works with other gear you own & put through it at this time & just NOT the FX8?

Is your Amps FX loop line level? Is your Amps FX loop serial or a parallel one?

What amp are you using here again?

Do you have a 2nd amp that you can test it out with?

If you turn off the Amps FX loop & your in 4CM, you won’t get any sound at all either (I believe).

X

Last edited:
So your amps FX loop works with other gear you own & put through it at this time & just NOT the FX8?

Is your Amps FX loop line level? Is your Amps FX loop serial or a parallel one?

What amp are you using here again?

Do you have a 2nd amp that you can test it out with?

If you turn off the Amps FX loop & your in 4CM, you won’t get any sound at all too....

X

It's a custom built amp from a local builder. The loop is not line level and I had some issues getting it dialed in to where it wasn't messing up the tone really bad. But I never touch the knobs on the send or receive. As I stated, it also has a switch to disengage the loop entirely.

I do have a second amp I can hook everything up to aside from the relay since this amp has a 5 way footswitch. I'll give that a shot tonight but my gut is telling me there is an issue with the FX8 and not the amp. I just had the amp serviced a few months ago because I thought it had a bad tube.

Will update later, and keep an eye on any other replies that come in.

Thanks,

Tested on my other amp and it produced the same issue. Simple guitar in/out. Will probably try a few more things but I am thinking at this point something has gone bad on the unit and I will need to dig up papers and see if there is any kind of warranty left on it.

#FeelsBadMan

Describe exactly how you connected the cables (which input and output ports did you use for “simple guitar in/out”). You would need to use the OUT 1 (PRE) for 2 cable method.

Also describe the preset configuration or post the preset you used for this test.

Tested on my other amp and it produced the same issue. Simple guitar in/out. Will probably try a few more things but I am thinking at this point something has gone bad on the unit and I will need to dig up papers and see if there is any kind of warranty left on it.

#FeelsBadMan
Things just don’t go bad to the point of no sound like this for the most part. I think you have a setting that’s off, a bad cable or some other issue that only you can find. It’s very hard to tell with the information provided at this point.

Does the unit show input signal coming in?

Call the Fractal Team & they will walk you through it all...& help you resolve it.

Good luck!

X

Expression pedals were for wah and volume, now nothing after reset.

In (PRE) from Guitar, Out (PRE) to front of AMP, Send and Return to FX Loop, Relay 1 to footswitch, Pedal 1 and 2 to Expression pedals. This has been my setup for since I bought the thing. So I am not sure what changed.

I tried changing out the out (PRE) cable once I got sound going straight from guitar to amp, but I will try again with some other cables to just to thoroughly make sure I have eliminated the bad cable possibility. Again, just trying this with guitar in and out, no pedals, or loop.

I do still need to check the unit itself and see if there is signal. Just keep finding little blips of time to run tests. I'll compile a checklist for myself so that I can verify I have run through as many things as possible before I give Fractal a call.

Thanks all

The expression pedals are currently plugged in? Try setting them to NONE in the Setup-I/O-CTRL menu.

It’s highly unlikely that something in the FX8 just broke while it was not being used.

No functions assigned to the pedals after the I ran the reset options from the utility menu and on top of that they are currently unplugged. Only in and out PRE to an amp.

No functions assigned to the pedals after the I ran the reset options from the utility menu and on top of that they are currently unplugged. Only in and out PRE to an amp.
Sorry to harp on this, but you looked at the CTRL list specifically? Absolutely no Pedal assignments there? This is the usually cause of no sound - some controller causing issues.

Reset Sys Params should do it, but make sure all the Volume entries in the CTRL menus don’t have Pedal either.

Ok all,

I got around to doing some more testing.

Used the cable I had been using to go straight to the amp as the out to amp from the FX8 and a different one as the IN (PRE) and still no sound.

Checked for input via the tuner and it detected signal there as well as seeing signal under UTILITY > STATUS for input and output.

I checked the CONTROLLER tab as well and saw nothing assigned to expression pedals. At least if I was looking in the right place.

Oddly enough there is a very very faint signal coming through after all as you can hear it on my 2nd amps high gain channel.

Update.

So this turned out to be something very strange. I had original ruled out a bad cable. As I used a different cabled from the original out to amp with the original input. I then swapped the cables. Still no signal from the FX8. I proceeded to test both cables straight into the amp. Glorious full strength power!

So tonight I was playing around with a few things and I got this wild hair to grab a random cable that had never been part of this equation. The FX8 was alive!

Perplexed by this I grabbed the bad cabled and plugged it back into the out. No signal. Took the bad cable went straight from guitar to amp. Signal.

So weird but I guess in the end it was a bad cable after all. I am going to go through all my cables and do some testing now to make sure there aren't any other duds in the mix.

I greatly appreciate all the the help and I am super happy that nothing randomly went bad on the unit.

Thanks again!

Update.

So this turned out to be something very strange. I had original ruled out a bad cable. As I used a different cabled from the original out to amp with the original input. I then swapped the cables. Still no signal from the FX8. I proceeded to test both cables straight into the amp. Glorious full strength power!

So tonight I was playing around with a few things and I got this wild hair to grab a random cable that had never been part of this equation. The FX8 was alive!

Perplexed by this I grabbed the bad cabled and plugged it back into the out. No signal. Took the bad cable went straight from guitar to amp. Signal.

So weird but I guess in the end it was a bad cable after all. I am going to go through all my cables and do some testing now to make sure there aren't any other duds in the mix.

I greatly appreciate all the the help and I am super happy that nothing randomly went bad on the unit.

Thanks again!
what kind of cable? any special plug style?

The original out was a humbuster clone from BTPA.com. I had been using some generic cable I think I got from a local music store. Seemed like really nice high quality cables but I guess maybe they weren't. Packed up and hauled to maybe 10 or 15 shows then just sat in my house for about a year.

I had most of the cables bundled up in a "snake" but like I said, I am going to break them down and test them all and see whats good and whats bad.

Things just don’t go bad to the point of no sound like this for the most part. I think you have a setting that’s off, a bad cable or some other issue that only you can find. It’s very hard to tell with the information provided at this point.

Does the unit show input signal coming in?

Call the Fractal Team & they will walk you through it all...& help you resolve it.

Good luck!

X
Any time that you are convinced it’s “One Thing” or a component has failed, it’s hard to be objective & look at other possibilities.

I’m very happy that you found the answer & that it was only a cable.

Congrats & Peace! X

Back
Top Bottom