{Solved] I can't get sound from Out 2

Georg

Hi team!

This must be stupid question or at least a RTFM question nut I still cannot solve it. :)

I want to connect Out 2 to my amp's power section but I cannot get any sound. I have
an FRFR connected to Left on Out 1 (1/4" TRS even though it's not a balanced output
but it works) with sound.

I have tried the following trouble shooting:

1. I connected my guitar directly to the power amp section of my amp and I have sound. So the amp works.
2. Then I instead connected a 1/4" TR from the Left Out 2 to the power amp. No sound.
3. I have set amp and cab sim to off. Both amp and cab blocks are still part of the serial signal chain in the preset though.
4. I have set echo for Out 2 to both "Input 1", which should give just the guitar signal, and to "Output 1" which should mirror the full preset. Still no sound in either case.
5. I have checked the VU meters and they indicate signal both Left and Right for both Out 1 och Out 2. Still no sound.
6 I have tried inserting an FXLoop block into the preset, just before the cab but after the amp. Same setup as on page 17 in the manual. Still no sound.

What have I missed? What of the things listed above needs to be done together in order for me to get sound out of Out 2?

Regards
Georg

I did that of course but forgot to mention it. Did not help.
Okay, that takes care of the easy fix (you turned it up a lot, right?).

Let’s try connecting your amp to OUT1. Do you get sound now?

Okay, that takes care of the easy fix (you turned it up a lot, right?).

Let’s try connecting your amp to OUT1. Do you get sound now?

Sorry, yet another thing I forgot to mention. Yes, when I connect the amp to OUT1 (Right channel) I get sound.
The FRFR was still in OUT1 (Left) at that time.

I could go with that but since I want to exclude at least the CAB block from being part of the signal to the power amp
I ideally want to connect the FRFR-speaker to OUT1 Left and the power amp to OUT2 Right (so I can test stereo effects).

And yes, I started low but turned OUT2 volume all the way up but no sound.

Hi team!

This must be stupid question or at least a RTFM question nut I still cannot solve it. :)

I want to connect Out 2 to my amp's power section but I cannot get any sound. I have
an FRFR connected to Left on Out 1 (1/4" TRS even though it's not a balanced output
but it works) with sound.

I have tried the following trouble shooting:

1. I connected my guitar directly to the power amp section of my amp and I have sound. So the amp works.
2. Then I instead connected a 1/4" TR from the Left Out 2 to the power amp. No sound.
3. I have set amp and cab sim to off. Both amp and cab blocks are still part of the serial signal chain in the preset though.
4. I have set echo for Out 2 to both "Input 1", which should give just the guitar signal, and to "Output 1" which should mirror the full preset. Still no sound in either case.
5. I have checked the VU meters and they indicate signal both Left and Right for both Out 1 och Out 2. Still no sound.
6 I have tried inserting an FXLoop block into the preset, just before the cab but after the amp. Same setup as on page 17 in the manual. Still no sound.

What have I missed? What of the things listed above needs to be done together in order for me to get sound out of Out 2?

Regards
Georg
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...lel-no-cab-sim-using-all-post-effects.122148/

Sorry, yet another thing I forgot to mention. Yes, when I connect the amp to OUT1 (Right channel) I get sound.
The FRFR was still in OUT1 (Left) at that time.

I could go with that but since I want to exclude at least the CAB block from being part of the signal to the power amp
I ideally want to connect the FRFR-speaker to OUT1 Left and the power amp to OUT2 Right (so I can test stereo effects).

And yes, I started low but turned OUT2 volume all the way up but no sound.
connecting to Out 1 was only suggested as a test to see if everything else works when a known output that works is used.

Output 2 makes sound only if:
1) you place an FX Loop block within the Preset - the FX Loop block is Output 2, and anything connected before it will be at physical Output 2

or

2) you use the "Echo" function in the Setup menu which will echo/copy Output 1 to Output 2 - this however will include the Cab sim, which you don't want.

most people place the FX Loop block to the right of all the effects/blocks they want at Out 2, then place the Cab block to the right of the FX Loop block - this means it doesn't go to Out 2, but it does continue on to Out 1 assuming you connect it there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link but that idea is what I referred to in my initial question when I wrote "I have tried inserting an FXLoop block into the preset, just before the cab but after the amp. Same setup as on page 17 in the manual. Still no sound."

So I have tried that already.

If I in Global settings set OUT2 to echo OUT1, do I still need an FXLoop block in the preset?

Chris, thanks!

Do you mean I have to do both 1 and 2 described in your post in order to get a signal out from OUT2?

Chris, thanks!

Do you mean I have to do both 1 and 2 described in your post in order to get a signal out from OUT2?
i added "or" to my post. it's or.

you either use an FX Loop block, or you use the Echo function. the FX Loop block always overrides the Echo function, by the way.

Last edited:
In that case that does not work for me. I have tried both 1 and 2. None of them gave me sound from OUT2.

In that case that does not work for me. I have tried both 1 and 2. None of them gave me sound from OUT2.
are you positive you are plugged into Output 2 and not Input 2 or some other jack? have you looked directly at the back panel, or are you feeling around and plugging in without looking?

Wasn't there some issue with the manual not matching the actual unit for some of the jacks?
yes, though i'm surprised so many people look at a picture and feel around, rather than looking at the actual hardware when first using a device.

Reactions: Rex
Definitely take the look-to-make-sure suggestion. I've been tripped up by that myself.

If you've visually verified that the connections are in the right place, make sure the cable you're using is good.

If both of those things check out okay, then there's a chance that a connection has come loose inside of your AX8. Check with Fractal support about that. They may instruct you to open the box (if you're comfortable doing that) and reseat a connector.

Hmm, interesting.

I did exactly what you suspected. Looked at the picture in the manual which says the OUT2 is just next to OUT1. I’m reading manual version 6.0.1 but will check the back of my AX8.

Drop an effect loop under your cab in grid, bring a cord to it from amp. plug into effects 2 out.

Can you frickin believe it! The jacks on the back don't match the manual. And that's after 6 versions of the manual.

Need to try again tomorrow with the correct jacks... :)

Yep, this forum is totally awesome. Thanks for everyone's effort so far in helping me solve this.

Back
Top Bottom