SOLVED: Huge 'HISS' at switch-on...

Gadget

Inspired
My Axe FX III MkII Turbo has just developed a very loud hissing noise immediately on start-up, which persists and doesn't go away.

I am on the latest beta and everything was working fine an hour ago.

I am monitoring through headphones, which I have tried on another source and are working fine. I have also checked via SPDIF into my audio interface with the same result (i.e. 'hiss' there too). Guitar cable is fine and hiss persists even if the cable is removed from the AF.

I've tried loading several presets, but the same hiss persists.

Any ideas?

On all presets?

Maybe you booted on a different preset with more gain or less gate?

What happens if you go to an empty preset?

Any chance you turned Output 1 knob up or changed Output Level from -10dB to +4dB?

Aside from the hiss does it sound any different? Like louder?

On all presets?

Maybe you booted on a different preset with more gain or less gate?

What happens if you go to an empty preset?

Any chance you turned Output 1 knob up or changed Output Level from -10dB to +4dB?

Aside from the hiss does it sound any different? Like louder?
It's the same on a selection of random ones I tried, inc. empty. No changes to settings. Hiss is like white noise. I can just about make out the guitar sound underneath if I hit it hard.

It's the same on a selection of random ones I tried, inc. empty. No changes to settings. Hiss is like white noise. I can just about make out the guitar sound underneath if I hit it hard.
Oh, that's not good.

I'd contact support. Possibly a loose ribbon cable or something?

This makes 3 times an inexplicable noise has taken over a unit since 23/Betas began. The others were remedied with a power cycle IIRC.

Hope it's not a bug

Okay - update time.

So I had this happen again, but this time the sound was more 'digital' and not just a straight 'hiss'.

Mindful of what some here said about the SPDIF / clock possibly being the issue, I noted that I had just switched-off my audio interface and indeed, I did have the AF3 clocked to that (I don't use my AF3 as my audio interface, I just connect to it via SPDIF).

Therefore it is likely that switching-off my audio interface caused the issue in both instances.

Totally my bad, obvs, but it struck me that it would be a good idea if the AF3 automatically fell over to its own internal clock in the absence of an external one? In other words, if the word clock source is either already set to external on start-up, or it is manually set to external after startup, but in either case no external clock is detected, then the AF3 will perhaps give a warning such as "No External Word Clock Detected. Switching to Internal in 5 seconds" and then switch automatically.

What do you guys think? Worth adding to the 'wish list' to save this happening to others?

Back
Top Bottom