[SOLVED] Help setting DI levels please!

MackieFX

Experienced
Im taking a DI on a recording Im doing at the moment on bass.

I have my chain for wet signal coming into my daw at approx -5dB

I set an output straight from input 1 as my DI track but the signal is BIG (+5dB) and clipping in the DAW

Where should I be aiming with my DI signal?

Top = Wet
Bottom = DI

Attachments

• DIvsFX.png
    DIvsFX.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 5
Doesn't matter if it's not clipping. Some say -6, some say -10, I say in the digital world it doesn't matter, I'll go as high as -1 if needed, then turn it down in the DAW. Best signal to noise ration that way.

If you use plugins based on analog hardware they could be finicky about the exact level (such as wanting +4dbV which is less than 0dbFS because decibels are weird like that), in order to not be hard in the red.

Im taking a DI on a recording Im doing at the moment on bass.

I have my chain for wet signal coming into my daw at approx -5dB

I set an output straight from input 1 as my DI track but the signal is BIG (+5dB) and clipping in the DAW

Where should I be aiming with my DI signal?

Top = Wet
Bottom = DI

How are you recording that DI? Are you using usb channels 5/6? If so, that will be a faithful duplicate of the signal going into the grid and, assuming you're not applying any gain to it, it won't clip when recorded into your DAW. If you're applying gain to make it clip, well, don't do that :).

How are you recording that DI? Are you using usb channels 5/6? If so, that will be a faithful duplicate of the signal going into the grid and, assuming you're not applying any gain to it, it won't clip when recorded into your DAW. If you're applying gain to make it clip, well, don't do that :).
I was using OUT2 - Is USB the way to go? :D

Back
Top Bottom