[Solved] Do I even need an Axe-FX?

I have both, partly because I could, but also because I don't see the FX3 as a good choice for dragging around and using outside the "studio", unless it's in a rack and road case, which adds to the weight and size and makes it less portable. It sounds wonderful though, and I know it'll outlast me.

The FM3 is wondrously portable and easily expanded with either the FC-6 or FC-12. It doesn't do everything but what it does sounds amazingly good and I'm itching to get out and make noise with it.

There are few situations where the FM3 will not be adequate in a recording studio because re-amping a signal allows lots of choices and ways to manipulate a previously recorded track, just do it in a couple passes like the old-school recordings did; Doing it all in one pass with the FX3 and a single preset is luxury and if the time vs. money crunch is that important then the FX3 would be the choice. But, back to the FM3, with all the plugins that come with a DAW that can fill in the gaps in what the FM3 can't do, it's more than adequate I think.

Either way, I think Fractal's platform is the appropriate choice. They've got the sound and the quality and are on a roll.

I got my ultimate tone out of my Axe-Fx II. I got the coolest Marshall to tape sound out of my Ultra.

I could NOT STAND ALL THESE BUTTHEADS bragging about their Axe-Fx III on the internet with all their current updates.

So.... want.

I've always been happy with my Fractal purchases. $8K later even.

My experience so far hasn't been great. Had it working for 5 minutes and then updated to Cygnus (also updated USB firmware), now I'm not getting sound. I did a reset on the parameters and now the routing is being a bit questionable. Contacting support as I'm sure it's something I did/am not doing. Not getting audio to my headphones anymore though which is odd. Still getting pc sounds though if I use it as an interface so that's a good sign.

Are any presets making sound at all?

Just to test, start with a blank preset, add blocks for Input 1 and Output 1 and connect them together. This should at least give you the guitar DI sound.

Are any presets making sound at all?

Just to test, start with a blank preset, add blocks for Input 1 and Output 1 and connect them together. This should at least give you the guitar DI sound.
Did that and no sound

Turned it off and on.

Now I got sound.

Solved...I think. Now to dive into setting it up with Reaper lol.

Although I will say that I did watch leon's video on initial I/O setup and setting the A/D Input Levels' Instrument Level parameter seems to work differently from mine. In order to "tickle the red," raising the Input 1/Instrument parameter doesn't actually change much (doesn't go higher after default, goes lower though). I noticed he doesn't have the Input 1 Gain parameter though, and that one seems to be doing something for me. Is his firmware just an older version?

Considering this friends m firmware is like a week old probably. Don't worry about the input gain. Leave it at defaults did now and carry on.

Did that and no sound

Turned it off and on.

Now I got sound.

Solved...I think. Now to dive into setting it up with Reaper lol.

Although I will say that I did watch leon's video on initial I/O setup and setting the A/D Input Levels' Instrument Level parameter seems to work differently from mine. In order to "tickle the red," raising the Input 1/Instrument parameter doesn't actually change much (doesn't go higher after default, goes lower though). I noticed he doesn't have the Input 1 Gain parameter though, and that one seems to be doing something for me. Is his firmware just an older version?
Depending on the video, it could be an older firmware, his videos are still great for learning about the Axe though! The A/D input level parameter adjusts the noise floor and not the input gain to the grid, so set it to where you sometimes hit the red with your highest output instrument. Adjusting that parameter will give you the same tone, unless you are on the very very extremes, like below 5%. On my Axe III Mk II I ended up leaving that at stock, as my guitars were perfectly tickling the red.

Just hooked up AXE III and FC-12 - I am one happy camper - it does sound better and feel to me and way faster at chores than FM3 - if your thinking should I get one over FM3 - I'm so glad I did

FM3 is still an amazing unit - AXE III puts it over the edge for me - what a machine

That said I didnt realize the MK1 has same amount of preset banks 512 compared to the MK2 with 1024 - not crazy about that but just have to sort out some factory presets that I may be able to delete to make room for Fremen / Moke :)

Just hooked up AXE III and FC-12 - I am one happy camper - it does sound better and feel to me and way faster at chores than FM3 - if your thinking should I get one over FM3 - I'm so glad I did

FM3 is still an amazing unit - AXE III puts it over the edge for me - what a machine

That said I didnt realize the MK1 has same amount of preset banks 512 compared to the MK2 with 1024 - not crazy about that but just have to sort out some factory presets that I may be able to delete to make room for Fremen / Moke :)

You can back up to your computer, wipe it and reload only the ones you want to use.

Does AXE III really sound and feel better than FM3? I'm agonizing over this decision.

AXE III all the way - way faster at chores - luv it - I was up in the air on FM3 should I sell it and upgrade - glad I did

Sounds better and feels better to me - as for sound its not earth shattering difference but better to me - others will say it doesnt to each his own

Go for the best you wont be sorry - that said you will need a foot controller and it gets expensive as I have the FC-12 and luv it no muss no fuss

Found FM3 a pia to setup - AXE III - 2 mins done - enjoy your new AXE III :)

Does AXE III really sound and feel better than FM3? I'm agonizing over this decision.

Same ultrares IR ability and firmware, so there should be no audible difference if using the same signal chain for each (same guitar, cabling, power).

Back
Top Bottom