[solved] Crackle noise when using EV-1 or EV-2 as volume pedal MFC-101 to Axe-Fx III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I can shed some light on what I encountered. As I had posted earlier, I inserted a volume block and was testing that when I also noticed that the channel indicator in Axe Edit III was also moving from A through D when I swept through the volume range. This made me then double check the CC# for the external controller 1 I was using and I discovered that I had the same CC# (10) for both the external and channel tabs on the front panel of the III. On the channel tab, Volume 1 was set to 10, as was External Control 1 on the External tab. Once I changed the Volume 1 CC# to 11, the zipper noise stopped. I think the noise was coming from the changing of the channels on the Volume block. Anyway, sorry for any confusion. Hope this fixes your issue as well.

Maybe I can shed some light on what I encountered. As I had posted earlier, I inserted a volume block and was testing that when I also noticed that the channel indicator in Axe Edit III was also moving from A through D when I swept through the volume range. This made me then double check the CC# for the external controller 1 I was using and I discovered that I had the same CC# (10) for both the external and channel tabs on the front panel of the III. On the channel tab, Volume 1 was set to 10, as was External Control 1 on the External tab. Once I changed the Volume 1 CC# to 11, the zipper noise stopped. I think the noise was coming from the changing of the channels on the Volume block. Anyway, sorry for any confusion. Hope this fixes your issue as well.

I've left the 3 configured on the default MIDI channel 1. The Expression pedal is set to External 1 and learning mode via the front panel config puts it to 1. Following your thought, I suspected the alternatively configured use of the same pedal on External 1 as the wahwah1 source (but no wah block is in the active preset). I reset that wahwah1 to none for the source but the zipper noise persisted.

I'm going to try resetting everything to factory defaults and reconfiguring from scratch later today. Here's the pertinent parameters I'll set:

-MIDI channel 1 for Axe3 and Morningstar MC6
-Expression pedal read from External 1
-Set any block level parameter to control source from External 1 (will start with Trem/Pan 1)

Will update tonight.

Random thought: There's no way to do a config dump/system snapshot from the Axe3, right? Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

If you have a volume block inserted, double check the channels on the volume block in Axe Edit to make sure they do not change when you sweep the volume pedal. That was my issue.

Not sure about the system dump, that is, other than a normal backup with Fractal Bot.

OK. I can reproduce this after a system wipe and factory preset library reload as well as the MC6 system reset with only the expression pedal configured on the controller.

So, physical setup:

Morningstar MC6 MKII controller on v3.1.1 firmware with a TRS attached Mission SP-1. The MC6 is cabled to the Axe III with MIDI in and out. The only other physical connections to the Axe are my guitar on the front instrument input, output 1 sent to a CLR MKII, and USB to my PC for AxeEdit. Note that the zipper noise is evident on headphones and external monitors, but more readily on closed headphones.

Software config:

Factory except for the expression pedal configured via the front panel as External Control 1. Both the Axe III and the MC6 are using the default MIDI channel of 1 and the MC6 has the pedal configured as CC #1.

To create the noise, select the 007 Prince Tone preset with the Reverb scene. Enable the Drive block, then sweep the pedal a bunch. A few strums from the guitar can help to bring out the noise as it is somewhat transient. The noise is unnervingly similar to my creaky knees in the morning...... :eek:

I've found that the External Control 1 signal does not have to be set to modify any parameter to generate the zipper noise. It just needs to exist.

So any suggestions? I'm going to try changing from the default MIDI channel and CC#1 for something more random and see where that goes. Maybe tweak the CC values on the MC6 for the expression pedal. Otherwise, I'm out of ideas on where else to tweak.

@hdcs the issue that the OP posted about was solved, so you're not reproducing anything. You should probably create a new thread.

Reactions: yek
Could this be AC adapter related with the 9V power from the HC9? 9V 500ma for HC9 vs. 9V 1000ma for MFC?
Just looking them up as have had issues with wrong power supply usage on pedals and wanted to check.

Cause of the poor performance sound? Wasn’t sure if that would be an issue with MFC vs. a guitar effect power supply etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom