[SOLVED] Converting a lower res cab capture - files were corrupted

jzucker

Experienced
Last year, I bought a bass cabinet that I really love. I had been using it with another product and today , attempted to load it into fm3-edit but I cannot import it. I'm guessing the resolution is too low? Other IRsI have load just fine. The cab in question loads into helix...

attempted to load it into fm3-edit but I cannot import it.
Describe this better.

Also, what is the IR's file extension?

From the Wiki:
Capturing IRs creates WAVE files (.wav). WAVE files can be converted into SYX (MIDI System Exclusive) files using Cab-Lab or the Fractal Audio's current editors. When using Cab-Lab to convert WAV files, and when using IR Capture to create IRs, two files are created: an IR file (.ir) and a SYX file (.syx). The .IR file is raw IR data which can be imported into Cab-Lab for mixing purposes. Cab-Lab is the only application that can handle .IR files.

Lower resolution can not be converted into a higher resolution IR, but the file type can be converted.

Well, it says it converted my cabs but there are no files in the destination folder and the percentage at the bottom of the page says 0%.
IR to syx yields the same result.

1705614077188.png

Have you tried using the Browser in the 'Manage Cabs' utility in the Tools menu of the editor?

Have you tried using the Browser in the 'Manage Cabs' utility in the Tools menu of the editor?
yes, fractal cab manager doesn't recognize it. Can't upload the file as it's a commercial IR. Sadly, the vendor doesn't reply to emails or messages.

yes, fractal cab manager doesn't recognize it. Can't upload the file as it's a commercial IR. Sadly, the vendor doesn't reply to emails or messages.
Did you specifically open the 'Browser' tab in 'Manage Cabs'?

Did you specifically open the 'Browser' tab in 'Manage Cabs'?
maybe you missed my other reply where I attempted to convert the cab in cablab and it is unable to convert the file either. It's a valid IR. It works and loads fine on my helix stomp and LT

Hey Jack, maybe try opening it up in an audio editor like Audacity or something to see if anything looks amiss. I've converted tens of thousands of IRs with Cablab and have never encountered this, so I'm really curious what is causing that for you. My only guess is that maybe it's a stereo WAV file? I know the Line6 stuff can accept stereo IRs but Fractal is mono only. If it is stereo, you could probably split it into two mono WAVs and convert them separately and use one, the other, or both in the Fractal cab block.

Since I'm always on the lookout for good bass cab IRs and the price was cheap, I went ahead and bought the IR. I was able to convert it in Cablab 3 no problem.

Problem solved...
Hey Jack, maybe try opening it up in an audio editor like Audacity or something to see if anything looks amiss. I've converted tens of thousands of IRs with Cablab and have never encountered this, so I'm really curious what is causing that for you. My only guess is that maybe it's a stereo WAV file? I know the Line6 stuff can accept stereo IRs but Fractal is mono only. If it is stereo, you could probably split it into two mono WAVs and convert them separately and use one, the other, or both in the Fractal cab block.
yes, the files were corrupted. They wouldn't load into reaper either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom