[SOLVED] Clearer DI waveforms while recording

prakhar1989

Hello friends,

I'm new to recording (& Logic pro in general) so please pardon my ignorant question. I've been trying to follow Cooper's video on reamping in FM3 and while I can get the DI to record, the waveforms are very small in my DAW which makes it very hard to see if i'm lining up correctly and/or do any kind of edits.

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 11.48.59 AM.png

FWIW, I'm recording DI from Input 3 in FM3

In Cooper's video, the transients are super clear

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 11.58.10 AM.png

Any tips / suggestions on what I can do to view the DI waveform more clearly in my DAW?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
That's correct. It should be a low level like that, just like your guitar, which may have lower output than some other guitars. You can zoom the waveform in Logic if you want to see it better.

Thanks Glenn for the links! I went through your reamping video and it seems your DI waveforrms are still more pronounced than mine

1712949230228.png

Even in the track view at the bottom. See mine for comparison. Granted i'm not playing fill chords and playing single note riffs but I have a high output pickups (fishman moderns - tbh, i'm not sure if that matters at all). Due to the size of the waveforms, it seems very hard to even understand where the pick attack is.

1712949278425.png

Even in the track view at the bottom. See mine for comparison. Granted i'm not playing fill chords and playing single note riffs but I have a high output pickups (fishman moderns - tbh, i'm not sure if that matters at all). Due to the size of the waveforms, it seems very hard to even understand where the pick attack is.

You need to zoom the waveform which will make the y-axis of the waveform as large as you want it without changing the volume of the waveform.

Assuming you're not turning down the levels when recording, that should be ok. You can confirm that by doing a reamp and see if the tone has the same gain as when you play your guitar through the preset. If it sounds the same, then your levels are correct. As I mentioned, if you just want to zoom in to see it better, you can use the waveform zoom button in Logic.

You can confirm that by doing a reamp and see if the tone has the same gain as when you play your guitar through the preset. If it sounds the same, then your levels are correct.

Yup, I tried it and does sound the same. Thank you!

will make the y-axis of the waveform as large as you want it

I tried the waveform zoom button and it is indeed larger but is there a way to zoom it even further? I dont seem to have the control to make it larger than this.

1712951594966.png

Turns out I could "Click and hold the Waveform Zoom button in the Audio Track Editor menu bar" - that makes it so much better! Now I can see my sloppy timing very clearly :)

Thanks for lot for the help!

1712952075150.png

Am I the only one that has my DI tracks almost hitting the ceiling (almost to clipping)? I thought it was advised to crank the DI input.

The DI level should not be changed at all. It should reflect the true level of your guitar's output. Otherwise your reamps will be significantly hotter sounding.

If you are in Logic, this is helpful as well to just make it more readable without having to increase the gain.

Back
Top Bottom