SOLVED: Axe Edit partially freezes shortly after opening Pro Tools

braden90

Hi Everyone,

I just got my Axe FX III and am loving it. I am using it as my interface with Pro Tools but have started noticing a problem. Shortly after I open Pro Tools, Axe Edit will sort of freeze up. It isn't the entire program that is frozen as I can still interact with most of the menu and buttons. What does not work; however, is my ability to change presets, create/delete/modify blocks or anything like that.

I can interact with the unit itself just fine, but I can't tweak any setting in Axe Edit until I close Pro Tools.

One forum from 2015 talked about some midi settings - any guidance would be helpful

System Info:

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Axe FX MK III mk II Turbo FW: 22.01
  • Axe Edit V 1.13.07
  • Pro Tools Version 2021.3.1

Thanks for your help.

This has been a long time issue with Axe Edit and Pro Tools. Super frustrating for me as I love recording with Pro Tools but without Axe Edit my speed and workflow is significantly compromised. There was a thread about it awhile ago and didn’t seem like any fix is in the works.

I don't use Protools or Windows 10, but there can be a similar problem in Logic that was caused by an internal MIDI loop. The solution is to disable the Axe-Fx III MIDI Input in the DAW, so it can send messages to the Axe-Fx but not receive anything back. Apple actually added this feature to Logic after reports from Fractal Audio and several other audio/MIDI hardware manufacturers.

This has been a long time issue with Axe Edit and Pro Tools. Super frustrating for me as I love recording with Pro Tools but without Axe Edit my speed and workflow is significantly compromised. There was a thread about it awhile ago and didn’t seem like any fix is in the works.
Well that’s wildly disappointing - any work arounds you’ve resigned yourself to to deal with this?

Well that’s wildly disappointing - any work arounds you’ve resigned yourself to to deal with this?
Seems like maybe you missed this:
I don't use Protools or Windows 10, but there can be a similar problem in Logic that was caused by an internal MIDI loop. The solution is to disable the Axe-Fx III MIDI Input in the DAW, so it can send messages to the Axe-Fx but not receive anything back. Apple actually added this feature to Logic after reports from Fractal Audio and several other audio/MIDI hardware manufacturers.

Hey there - I believe I have done what I can to disassociate the Axe-FX III unit from any MIDI communications with Pro Tools with the following trouble-shooting step.

• Ensured that the Axe-Fx III Midi In [Emulated] option is deselected in the MIDI Input Enable window:
    • 1700169529673.png

If you don't send any MIDI messages to the Axe FX from Pro Tools, you could try disabling the MIDI Output as well.
That's a step I'd definitely like to try - I may have already done that earlier, perhaps you can confirm the steps I've tried (which have not worked by the way) were what you had in mind.

I've so far gone to Settings > MIDI/Remote and adjusted the following settings in the "General Tab" in the PC Configuration section:

• Program Change - OFF
  • Ignore Redundant PC - ON
  • Send MIDI PC - OFF
  • PC Mapping - OFF
Are there other Settings on the Axe or in Axe Edit you are referring to?

Does it show any MIDI devices for the Axe III under MIDI Studio? If so, you could try removing the device there.

Also, what happens if you launch Pro Tools first and then launch Axe Edit?

Does it show any MIDI devices for the Axe III under MIDI Studio? If so, you could try removing the device there.

Also, what happens if you launch Pro Tools first and then launch Axe Edit?
There are no MIDI devices for the Axe III under Midi Studio.

If Pro Tools is launched prior to Axe Edit, then the Please Wait... Communicating message hangs until an error box appears.

1700198020140.png
1700198038308.png

I solved the problem with the help of an AVID engineer. Its actually a very simple solution that works for me. I am going to paste the full context / fix in this thread but wanted to ping you specifically as you'd mentioned you experience(d) the same issue.

FYI I was able to get the issue resolved with the help of an engineer from Avid who helped me in an informal way and through an informal channel. For future reference, in case anyone else presents this problem, this is what resolved the issue. I'm going to be doing some more extensive testing tonight but - this has so far been extremely promising.

Context:
  • We further troubleshot the issue by Opening Pro Tools with the Axe FX Disconnected (relying on ASIO4ALL to function as the Audio Engine to allow Pro Tools to open while disconnected from an interface)
  • Connecting the Axe FX III via USB to the computer
  • Running Axe Edit
  • Testing Axe Edit Functionality
  • We determined that both Pro Tools and Axe Edit III functioned correctly when booted in this sequence
  • This led us to determine that Pro Tools was grabbing the MIDI ports in some exclusive way during its startup phase

Approach to the Solution:

• The Avid engineer confirmed that there was an way to disable MIDI ports which is not documented publicly
  • We first needed to identify what MIDI ports were being grabbed during Pro Tools startup to then be able to specify which ones to tell Pro Tools to ignore
  • We added an additional instruction to the ProTools.digitrace file - adding the following text at the end of the file in Notepad: DTF_MDIS_DMUS=file@DTP_LOW
    • Note: this required that I first modify the properties of the file to make it editable and not just read-only by right-clicking the file > Properties >Security Tab> and Editing the default permissions
  • We then connected Axe FX III and launched Pro Tools and closed it again after it completed the startup sequence
  • The modification to the ProTools.digitrace file allowed us to see in the most recent Pro Tools Log what MIDI Ports were being grabbed.
  • These were identified as Axe-Fx III MIDI Out and Axe-Fx III MIDI In

The Fix:

The solution is to prevent Pro Tools from interacting with the AXE FX III MIDI at startup

1. Create a .txt file (Notepad) and name it ExcludedMIDIPorts.txt
  2. Paste the following two lines into the file (needs to be two lines and an exact match to the yielded result in the Pro Tools Log):
    1. Axe-Fx III MIDI Out
      Axe-Fx III MIDI In
  3. Save the file in the same location in which the executable Pro Tools application lives on your computer (by default and in my case: c:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools)
    • Note: You may also have to first modify the properties of the Pro Tools folder by right-clicking the folder > Properties > Security Tab and Editing the default permissions

Notes:
  • This has so far solved my issue - I can now operate Pro Tools and Exe Edit III simultaneously as intended
  • Engineer mentioned that one might need to enter the two lines in the Excluded MIDI Ports file as:
    • Axe-Fx III MIDI Out [Emulated]
      Axe-Fx III MIDI In [Emulated]
  • I am still able to use other USB MIDI devices simultaneously, and the Axe Edit III software runs perfectly while using the Axe FX III as an interface while Pro Tools runs.
  • I do not know what impact this has on my ability to use the Midi In / Out / Thru ports on the Axe FX III Hardware at this time - I may experiment with that down the line should the need arise/my curiosity get the better of me.

Wow! Thank you for the detail on this issue. Will wait and see if this permenatly fixes this issue for you before trying on my system.

FYI I was able to get the issue resolved with the help of an engineer from Avid who helped me in an informal way and through an informal channel. For future reference, in case anyone else presents this problem, this is what resolved the issue. I'm going to be doing some more extensive testing tonight but - this has so far been extremely promising.

Context:
  • We further troubleshot the issue by Opening Pro Tools with the Axe FX Disconnected (relying on ASIO4ALL to function as the Audio Engine to allow Pro Tools to open while disconnected from an interface)
  • Connecting the Axe FX III via USB to the computer
  • Running Axe Edit
  • Testing Axe Edit Functionality
  • We determined that both Pro Tools and Axe Edit III functioned correctly when booted in this sequence
  • This led us to determine that Pro Tools was grabbing the MIDI ports in some exclusive way during its startup phase

Approach to the Solution:

• The Avid engineer confirmed that there was an way to disable MIDI ports which is not documented publicly
  • We first needed to identify what MIDI ports were being grabbed during Pro Tools startup to then be able to specify which ones to tell Pro Tools to ignore
  • We added an additional instruction to the ProTools.digitrace file - adding the following text at the end of the file in Notepad: DTF_MDIS_DMUS=file@DTP_LOW
    • Note: this required that I first modify the properties of the file to make it editable and not just read-only by right-clicking the file > Properties >Security Tab> and Editing the default permissions
  • We then connected Axe FX III and launched Pro Tools and closed it again after it completed the startup sequence
  • The modification to the ProTools.digitrace file allowed us to see in the most recent Pro Tools Log what MIDI Ports were being grabbed.
  • These were identified as Axe-Fx III MIDI Out and Axe-Fx III MIDI In

The Fix:

The solution is to prevent Pro Tools from interacting with the AXE FX III MIDI at startup

1. Create a .txt file (Notepad) and name it ExcludedMIDIPorts.txt
  2. Paste the following two lines into the file (needs to be two lines and an exact match to the yielded result in the Pro Tools Log):
    1. Axe-Fx III MIDI Out
      Axe-Fx III MIDI In
  3. Save the file in the same location in which the executable Pro Tools application lives on your computer (by default and in my case: c:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools)
    • Note: You may also have to first modify the properties of the Pro Tools folder by right-clicking the folder > Properties > Security Tab and Editing the default permissions

Notes:
  • This has so far solved my issue - I can now operate Pro Tools and Exe Edit III simultaneously as intended
  • Engineer mentioned that one mightneed to enter the two lines in the Excluded MIDI Ports file as:
    • Axe-Fx III MIDI Out [Emulated]
      Axe-Fx III MIDI In [Emulated]
  • I am still able to use other USB MIDI devices simultaneously, and the Axe Edit III software runs perfectly while using the Axe FX III as an interface while Pro Tools runs.
  • I do not know what impact this has on my ability to use the Midi In / Out / Thru ports on the Axe FX III Hardware at this time - I may experiment with that down the line should the need arise/my curiosity get the better of me.
Great write up! Thanks for sharing!!

Back
Top Bottom