SOLVED - Auto-Engage Not Working Now - Exp Pedals are Good

Jammer77

Inspired
Auto-engage on my expression pedals are no longer working. I've changed no settings. I've tried both of my expression pedals (Fractal EV-1 and Moog) to see if the pedal may be the problem and they both do the same so it's not the pedal. My auto-engage settings are the same as before when auto-engage worked properly. This acts the same now for my Rotary and Wah. The pedal still functions for wah frequency and rotary speed it just won't turn completely off when heel down is all the way.

Also when I go to that preset at first the effect (rotary, wah) is off until I engage the expression pedal then from that point on heel down will not disengage it. I will upload a preset.

Is this a situation where it may make sense to reload the firmware to see if that fixes it? I am using the latest 9.04.

things in firmware usually don't suddenly break. it's almost always a bad cable, or something else physical. i'm sure your pedals still work. so it might be something in the preset or a Global setting that was changed. i'll look when i get home if no one else figures it out by then.

things in firmware usually don't suddenly break. it's almost always a bad cable, or something else physical. i'm sure your pedals still work. so it might be something in the preset or a Global setting that was changed. i'll look when i get home if no one else figures it out by then.
Thanks, I went ahead and reloaded FW 9.04 but as you suspected it didn't change anything. I have an EV-1 and a MOOG and I've tested them both. I have a volume block set up and they both work fine for that. It just seems to be the auto-engage that has an issue. When I first go to the preset with a pedal set to auto-engage, the rotary (or wah) is off but as soon as I engage the pedal it won't go off again. The parameters move through the range just fine with the pedal it's just that once I activate the expression pedal on that preset it won't turn off again i.e. the rotary will slow down to it's slowest speed but won't shut off with heel down all the way.

It's nothing in the preset. I loaded just a single rotary block in a new preset and I couldn't get the auto engage to work in that one either !
I'm not a rotary power user...In fact I don't use rotary at all...
@Jammer77. Did you recently upgraded to 9.04 ?
I've found it's doing the same thing with a wah.

was it ever working on 9.04 for either of you? i feel this would have been reported more if it broke back in January.

was it ever working on 9.04 for either of you? i feel this would have been reported more if it broke back in January.
I don't think I've used these presets since I updated to 9.04. They are not some of my main presets. I went to the preset with the rotary last night at a gig and was surprised that I could not get it to shut off with the heel down. Today I checked some presets that have a wah with the auto-engage setting and they too are not working correctly. It would seem that if someone else is having the same issue that it may very well be a bug.

It would seem that if someone else is having the same issue that it may very well be a bug.
sure, but 2 people out of thousands doesn't necessarily mean a bug. not saying it is or isn't at this point. will check when i get home in like... 6 hours :|

Just got home. 9.04. Auto-Engage works as expected. I’ll look at your preset in a bit.

rotary preset
i tried this preset. auto-engage works as expected on the rotary block.

make sure you're using a good TRS cable, that the pedal is set to Continuous and Calibrated correctly. make sure the pedal physically goes all the way heel down and nothing is blocking it.

i'm on 9.04 and auto-engage works in every situation as expected.

@Jammer77 I had a similar thing happen at a gig the other night - was able to duplicate it the next day at home, but then it fixed itself. There was some odd things but my wah would just not shut off with heel down like normal. This suggestion: Raise the 'Off Value' to a point above the lowest value your pedal will achieve (8%, 10%, 12%?) did help insure the pedal was turning off with heel down. I think though, since I have a Moog EP3 - could have also been related to the polarity switch on the bottom.

Here's the thread if you want to read it:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wah-help.136538/

Back
Top Bottom