[Solved] 4db difference L to R????

Pauly 6 String

Inspired
Hi all. Just noticed today while making new XLR cables for the AX8 that there is 4db less in my R output than my L. I have the XLR's going to an XR18 mixer and the meters clearly show what my ears were hearing. L is louder than R.

I switched the cables first to see if that was the problem and it isn't. The R is still lower. the mixer channels are stereo linked so input gain is the same for each channel.

I looked over all the AX8 settings and all look OK. This is happening on all presets. I have to put the balance on the output to -40 before it levels out.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi all. Just noticed today while making new XLR cables for the AX8 that there is a 4db less in my R output than my L. I have the XLR's going to an XR18 mixer and the meters clearly show what my ears were hearing. L is louder than R.

I switched the cables first to see if that was the problem and it isn't. The R is still lower. the mixer channels are stereo linked so input gain is the same for each channel.

I looked over all the AX8 settings and all look OK. This is happening on all presets.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Try 2 different channels on the mixer as a test.

Hi all. Just noticed today while making new XLR cables for the AX8 that there is 4db less in my R output than my L. I have the XLR's going to an XR18 mixer and the meters clearly show what my ears were hearing. L is louder than R.

I looked over all the AX8 settings and all look OK. This is happening on all presets. I have to put the balance on the output to -40 before it levels out.

Any ideas?

Thanks
what do the meters on the AX8 show? go to the Utility meters in the Setup menu.

On our digital mixer, linking the channels does not link the input gain - Just something to check.

Did you try 'wiggling' the XLR plugs in either end of the cables. I have some shitty cables at home, and sometimes they loose connection to one of the sides in the balanced signals.

So I tried using the 1/4" outputs and that showed both outputs fairly even again. L slightly higher level than right. XLR outputs still have R 4db lower than L. Swap cables and no change.

Edit: However, used a completely different XLR, which both L & R now have same cable type, and it has been resolved. I still don't know why swapping cable wouldn't have made the L lower but oh well.

thanks for the help

On our digital mixer, linking the channels does not link the input gain - Just something to check.

Did you try 'wiggling' the XLR plugs in either end of the cables. I have some shitty cables at home, and sometimes they loose connection to one of the sides in the balanced signals.

The XR18 does link the gain for each channel when Linked for stereo. Very handy

Double Edit: Put the cable in a cable tester and I have wired it wrong!! Got solderer's dyslexia.

Last edited:

Any ideas?

Thanks

I have the exact same observation. Started to experiment with stereo and I found there was about a 4dB difference between left and right channels as shown by the AX8 vu meters. I was going o start a thread on this issue but I've been too busy, and I'm pleased to see that someone else have observed the same. I need to experiment with different amps/cabs to see whether this behaviour is consistent.

I have the exact same observation. Started to experiment with stereo and I found there was about a 4dB difference between left and right channels as shown by the AX8 vu meters. I was going o start a thread on this issue but I've been too busy, and I'm pleased to see that someone else have observed the same. I need to experiment with different amps/cabs to see whether this behaviour is consistent.
I believe this was solved due to bad cables. It was not an AX8 issue.

There shouldn’t be a difference between left and right. Is it on all presets?

For me it was definitely 100% mis-wired XLR cable.

My band has experienced the same thing with the a Axe Fx. In our case, one of the XLR cables just had less signal. Seemed to work fine otherwise... So we swapped cables and the problem went away.

Also had the same issue mentioned by @Smittefar... Linked channels on DL32R still have independent gain for left and right input, but it's kind of "hidden" in the UI :(

I believe this was solved due to bad cables. It was not an AX8 issue.

There shouldn’t be a difference between left and right. Is it on all presets?

As I said in my post, I haven't had time to investigate further, and I'm just about to go away for three days so I'll have to do further investigations when I return. But my issue definitely wasn't cables because the AX8 vus were reading the difference (ie the difference between left and right was internal). At any rate I was using Spdif.

I'll report further when I get back.

As I said in my post, I haven't had time to investigate further, and I'm just about to go away for three days so I'll have to do further investigations when I return. But my issue definitely wasn't cables because the AX8 vus were reading the difference (ie the difference between left and right was internal). At any rate I was using Spdif.

I'll report further when I get back.
No prob. I would suggest starting a new thread at that time as your situation seems different.

Back
Top Bottom